Is your horse different at a XC comp as opposed to XC schooling?

Pidgeon

Visit site
Just interested really as although Pidge gets keen when we go schooling he goes into a totally different mode when we compete XC, see my pic in post where we bounced the sheep corral at Eland Lodge ODE to see what I mean! When schooling he quite happily jumps in a nice canter but when we get to a comp once in jump mode we cruise round reasonably quickly
blush.gif
Not sure I've explained it particluary well sorry

Sarah_Moose

Visit site
When schooling mine can be a lazy bugger and a tad nappy. When competing he gets wound up(a good thing as he is ridiculously laid back usually) and flys round like a rocket, doesn't look at anything and just goes.

Pidgeon

Visit site
snap to the competing then as that's exactly what Pidge does, he will nap to the other horses when not in XC mode, but once in it were off and we've overtaken quiet a few people on course and he's not even looked at them as we've flown past
blush.gif

Golden_Match_II

www.event-stablebarn.weebly.com
I didn't take it lightly when my Mum said it was most likely my riding rather than Millie, and I convinced myself she was wrong, but I knew inside she was right.

It depended on what I was jumping, too, though, if I was scared, I rode better, where as if it was just a BE 90 chair or something, I wouldn't take it seriously, and she was get in deep, and act lazy etc.

millitiger

Visit site
god yes! mine is far more relaxed schooling than eventing- at a comp i don't even do the xc practice fence; just walk around and then go and he goes out of the start box like a rocket with no assistance from me.

he is the same sj; totally laid back in the warm up and really ups his game in the ring

MysteryGirl

Visit site
My old mare just used to hunt and team chase, she would turn into a different pony the minute she saw the travel boots and was usually razzed up until she was back on the lorry in bandages, not the sanest of ladies!

Somehow she knew the difference between competition and training outings, maybe something to do with the hour of the morning and the waves of tension coming from me! I think I rode differently too, used to have stops and all sorts when schooling as I really need to have my blood up to ride assertively at fences, she was also a different horse when there was a bum in front, that's why I settled on team chasing, rather than eventing. I am now a mum of 2 and get someone else to do the jumping!

FigJam

teamhopalong.blogspot.com
Yup, but as others have said, I think it's really a case of "are horse AND rider different in competition compared to schooling"?
wink.gif

Particularly when schooling with a group of others, my mare can be quite nappy and have a few run outs, yet we've done (a whole!
smirk.gif
) two competitions to date where she's flown round clear with no hint of a run out.

I think a lot of it is due to me being more determined at a competition as I know there's no "2nd chance" (well, there is, but it's costly points-wise!) whereas when schooling you just turn around and try again.

My husband's advice (after watching us schooling one time) is "ride every fence like you've just had a refusal" which I though (since he's non-horsey!) was a bit OTT, but then recently read the exact same word for word written by Tanya Kyle!
blush.gif

_April_

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

My husband's advice (after watching us schooling one time) is "ride every fence like you've just had a refusal" which I though (since he's non-horsey!) was a bit OTT, but then recently read the exact same word for word written by Tanya Kyle!
blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I use that as my mantra after you posted it!!

I have only done one comp on Tara so far and 3 XC schooling sessions and I couldn't really see much difference in her - she was up for it all.

I however was a nervous wreck at the competition until I got going lol

AandK

Visit site
QR - Andy is a bit different; much more spooky and slightly 'stickier' schooling than in a comp - although this doesn't stop him having the odd spook at an event!! naughty pony..
i think it also has to do with me being braver in a comp as the old adrenaline is flowing and i suddenly become very determinded and gutsy!!
grin.gif

Pep12

Visit site
Oh yes. Not that he is bad schooling but he gets bored and pissed off with all the stopping and starting and will occasionally throw in the towel. At an event he is heels and hands and flies round like the wee star that he is!!

FigJam

teamhopalong.blogspot.com
Ha ha, it does work though because it's true that after a refusal, you come back to the fence with a much more determined "get over it" attitude!
smile.gif

(isn't it infuriating when the non-horsey OHs can be so spot on yet have so little proper "knowledge" of what they're talking about!
wink.gif
)

star

Visit site
mine is good schooling and will jump anything. go to a comp where he has to leave the others in the collecting ring and he becomes a spooky little monster!

MagicMelon

Visit site
Yes, my eventer used to be fine at XC schooling as a youngster but he now knows what XC is all about and knows its all about going fast etc.! so it really winds him up when he has to pull up in between fences (as you do in training), he doesnt understand why he has to keep stopping!