Isleham

Rosiefan

Visit site
A very foggy start this morning but the sun came out and it was warm enough to sit around on chairs round the lorry!

By midday, Rosie had finished on FJ and it was time to get Stan off the lorry. The plan was to lunge him because he is so exuberant and full of himself and Rosie's Dad took him off to a quiet corner. He was completely loopy, careering round, slipping all over the place, bucking, *********g - the lot much to the amusement of the people who stood and watched and wondered what sort of idiot was going to get on that! Eventually he calmed down so over to the dressage warm up and some more lunging. Rosie took over and after a bit more messing around he calmed down enough for her to get on and do some ridden work. He amazed us all by doing a fairly sensible test and we were thrilled to find out later that he'd been given 31 and was somewhere in the top half.

Quite a long wait for the BE100 sections to finish their SJ and off they went to warm up and then a lovely clear round. Good boy Stan :) but Rosie was so quick off the mark that I was still in the loo when she started and I just saw the last couple of jumps :(.

I was up on the mound in plenty of time to watch their XC and was very confused when I thought I heard he'd started and finished without me seeing him. Turned out Rosie felt he wasn't quite sound in the warm up, got nearly as far as the start box and decided to withdraw. She's thinking he may have kicked himself during the lunging fun and games but we think it's nothing a bit of rest and recuperation won't cure so not too downhearted. He didn't look lame and had a very healthy interest in eating as much grass as possible before he went back on the lorry.

Obviously he would have won but for the above ;). To be serious, I'm sure he'll be fighting fit in no time and he's entered for Gt Witchingham in 3 weeks time so fingers crossed :).

Thanks for reading if you have.

longdog

Visit site
What a shame about the unsoundness. Horses are so flipping unpredictable, but well done to Rosie for what sounds like a brilliant start to the season.

BeckyC

Visit site
i saw him today! saw him careering round being lunged in the dressage lol. his sj round looked lovely! i was due to go straight after him xc so saw him withdrawn, def the right call as he was definitely not right. glad he looks fine now though!!! for the first few xc jumps though i was called rosie as i dont think the commentators realised she had withdrawn stan lol

Rosiefan

Visit site
He was calmer there than he was in the 'quiet corner' - idiot horse :).
That's probably what confused me Becky, I definitely thought she was on her way. I saw you too of course :)

Madali

Visit site
Weren't we lucky with the weather. I had a good start to my season. Not sure what I want to do next. If I don't go to great Witchingham I won't get out until Burnham Market. Decisions? Last year at GW I was riding XC in the snow and it was nearly dark. Puts me off a bit

cundlegreen

Visit site
I can't believe the weather was so good there. I'm less than two hours away, and it rained solidly here until 2-00! I thought everybody would be struggling with cut up ground, so great for all to have a good start to the season. BeckyC any photos of the incident???

Rosiefan

Visit site
you probably saw me jump the trakhener beautifully then :p just a shame the horse decided not to accompany me although his bridle did :D
Well I didn't really see you because I was busy scanning the horizon looking for Stan and Rosie but I heard the commentator. Bad horse letting you jump without him! Fingers crossed he won't do that again

Weren't we lucky with the weather. I had a good start to my season. Not sure what I want to do next. If I don't go to great Witchingham I won't get out until Burnham Market. Decisions? Last year at GW I was riding XC in the snow and it was nearly dark. Puts me off a bit
Pleased to hear you had a good start - report on the way I hope :). Decisions decisions, I remember GW last year, hoping it won't be as bad this time. We were incredibly lucky with the weather - my boots were barely muddy and the ground was perfect for the horses.

Hope he is ship shape and ready for his next outing.

What a good boy he was, very promising :)
Thank you and to the others who are crossing their fingers for him :)

That's a shame but better safe than sorry. It's amazing the event season has started already for you, up here everything is so wet we can't even work our horses outside :(
We've been very lucky with our winter so far in East Anglia although the clay in our part of Essex isn't as forgiving as the fen soil at Isleham. Turn out for Rosie's horses has been non-existent for weeks which has almost certainly been a contributing factor to Stan's loopy behaviour when he does feel the grass under his feet :)

TableDancer

Visit site
What a pain, but Stan looks like one for the future fom the photos - are you tempted to keep him a bit longer than his predecessors if hr's as exciting as he looks?

Sitting round in chairs outside the lorry at Isleham is a concept my brain simply can't compute!

Rosiefan

Visit site
Sitting outside the lorry felt odd to be honest but it really was warm enough.

I'd like to keep Stan for a bit longer than I kept Frodo but if he does well and if we were offered a good price I expect I'd sell. Rosie puts so much work into all the horses at the yard and she must earn a living from that work, so it's a simple return on investment situation given that she would get a share of what he sells for.
To be honest, I only bought a horse in the first place to help her get back on her feet after her 'Annus Horribilis'. She would probably better off using Stan's stable for a horse which she could either charge proper training/competing livery rates (I pay the bare minimum) or keep all of any profit if it were her own horse.

Rosiefan

Visit site
It's disappointing but such is life. Thank you, yes, super SJ and dressage (she got 30 on FJ in the 100 and is now being taunted for being a dressage diva). If they'd been able to continue and gone clear XC they would have won. Maybe it was meant to be, would have been huge pressure next time out ;).
How did you get on Ali - hoping to see a report as soon as you have a minute :)