Issue when removing bridle.

SonnysHumanSlave

Visit site
When I put Sonnys bridle on, he doesnt open his mouth, so I have to put a finger in the side and he opens it, so I can get the bit in.

The issue I now have is when I take the bridle off, he now shoves his head in the air, as soon as you take it over the ears. But he doesnt open his mouth, so after that he lifts it so high I cant reach (some times includes some bouncing and reversing) and so the bridle is hanging and I can reach.

Any suggestions I can try would be much appreciated.

Irishbabygirl

Visit site
Can you slide the headpeice off over his ears then hold the bridle up and slip the bit out first before lowering the bridle? If that makes sense?

mandwhy

Visit site
Mine did this a few times after I lunged him off the bit and he yanked himself in the mouth rearing (I don't tend to do it off the bit anymore), so he became not so keen on the bridle for a few days especially taking it off! I didn't blame him! I had to get him used to it by gradually touching him around the face and touching the throatlash etc whilst praising and giving him a couple of herbal treats and eventually he was fine with it again. I would also do this after putting it on sometimes as the two seem to be more connected than we might think :)

It also might help to put a headcollar buckled around his neck so he can't get away too far with the bridle hanging out of his mouth.

popeyesno1fan

Visit site
Suzie, a pony at the riding school does this, can even rear when taking off the bridle, especially when taking the bit out. I can do it reasonbly ok, as i gently take the bridle off over her ears, and wait for her to release the bit. I reckon the bit must have pinched her at some stage. Patience and "gently, gently" is the best approach, i think.

Fools Motto

Visit site
Common when they think the bit wll bang horses teeth. Try offering a treat to encourage the head to lower. Take it gentle, keep the bit up in the mouth. Failing this, change the bit to a rubber covered one, the bang on the teeth isn't so much and it can break the cycle.

9tails

Visit site
I've had this problem, I first started with giving a treat then holding her head just above her nose while I took the bridle off her ears. As she was chewing, it was easier to ease the bit out. Now I use the same method and hold her head and let her spit the bit out while the bridle is off her ears.

I was once in the situation where she went backwards rapidly with the bit clamped in her mouth while I had the bridle in my hand, that wasn't a pleasant experience for either of us.

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
Use a very light plastic or rubber straight bar bit to practice with so it doesn't hurt so much if he gets his teeth banged. Tie him up short. Leave the headcollar on and put the bridle on. Ask him to open his mouth before you slowly slip the bridle off over one ear. Give him a chance to realise what's going on and calm down. Ask him to open his mouth again before taking the bridle off over the other ear and lower it very slowly, so he has a chance to spit the bit out without getting his teeth banged. Practice until he's calm with taking the bridle off. Once he knows he's not going to get hurt he should stop throwing his head up. Then you can change back to your normal bit.

AnneCam

Visit site
Have also had this problem in the past.

We managed to dodge it for a few goes by taking the bridle off a strange way:

Undo the throatlash and then undo one cheekpiece and release the bit from the mouth with the headpiece still in place. Then the headpiece and noseband come of last in a headcollar-ish way. You do have to keep hold of the bit once it's out so you don't clonk the horse's face.

It's a faff and you end up with a bridle in a bit of a knot but I found it broke the cycle of worry/running/head tossing about having the headpiece off with the bit in the mouth.

labruyere

Visit site
Sugar and Spice's method gets my vote....

but remember to remove noseband first...

all mine get started with noseband-less bridles over headcollars so this sort of thing gets nipped in bud early and never gets to be a big problem...

spend a week playing 'the bridle game' with him on a daily basis
on, off, on, off...

as S&S advises break it down into steps and practice each step incrementally, leaving time for him to 'think about it' in between...

you can also train to poll pressure so that he drops his head when requested to do so...
I would aim to get the dropped relaxed head position at every step in the procedure....

above all stay calm, and stay safe

if I get a horse in to retrain and it has a REAL phobia about something like this
I tend to work with them untied and outside (but on a good safe footing)
as removing the feelings of being restrained and enclosed often proves the tipping point

SonnysHumanSlave

Visit site
Thanks for all your suggestions. I think some practicing is much needed this week, I still have his first bit which was a rubber straight bar, so will pop that in and out for practice.

I think what started it was hes a little fussy with his head anyways, due to a previous owner leaving a head collar on too long when he was a foal, and hes got the scars to show for it. :( He doesnt like you to hang on to the head collar either.

I think the bribery will work well with him, he is very easy to bribe to do things, so think I'll give the rubber bit and bribes to start off. Will see how it goes. :)

Thanks for the suggestions.

I was going to change his bit this week, as hes in a full cheek, single jointed thing, and I think maybe it was 1/4 inch too wide for him, so I imagine the joint gets the inside of his mouth when I release his ears.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
My WB was fussy with his head and the bridle going on and off and at 17hh that made it very difficult. Some may disagree with this method, but it worked for me with no repercussions - I treat my horse. I used to treat him with the bit when I bridled him and also treat him when he would lower his head for me to take off the bridle with no stress. He soon cottoned on and now he is happy without treats. I have always used treats as rewards for good behaviour with him and it works for him - he has never got pushy or expectant and he clearly knows he has done well to earn a treat.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
I'd be teaching him two things - firstly to lower his head to pressure, using the reins a few inches behind his ears and also, with a rubber bit, that you won't hurt his teeth by banging him.

Just one thing, are you standing in front of him or beside him when you take the bridle off? If you stand in front of him you can't deal with him backing up or raising his head, if you are to the sid eyou ahve a much better chance of keeping up with him as he goes back.