Issue with cornea in vetting

sanjo

Visit site
Hi
I had a vetting today and on checking the eyes, the vet found that one of the horse’s corneas was not smooth (described as having “rough edges”). He suggested that this could be post viral/ infection and it could well go back to normal in time.

He also suggested that worse case scenario it could be permanent and therefore cause an issue in the future but felt this was less likely.

Has anyone experienced any of the above?

ihatework

Visit site
It’s not uncommon to have observations in a vetting from the eye exam.

9/10 times they are pretty inconsequential and whilst if you are insuring they would likely to be excluded, the risk of future issue is low.

In your shoes I’d pull the horses vet history and if there is no previous ongoing eye history then I’d accept the risk. Worst case something happens in future and eye needs removing. Not the end of the world.

SEL

Visit site
My little cob had a cosmetic issue noted with one eye on the vetting. I did confirm with the vet there wasn't likely to be a long term issue but insurance still excluded it and she told me it would probably be picked up in future vettings if I sold him on.

All other boxes were ticked for me though so it wasn't an issue (plus I find even the healthiest horse can find good reasons to get various bits of themselves excluded from insurance)