Issues with food bowl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulineW

Visit site
Looking for advice, if anyone can help please.

I have 4 chihuahuas, all great little dogs. Since overhauling their diet at the start of the year they have all become trim, and so much fitter and happier.

One gives me concern around feeding time, and I’m not sure how to help her. I prepare their food in their relative bowls, and then I put the bowls down in the same order and place each time. The dogs know their spot and wait their turn nicely. No one moves from their own bowl until it’s licked clean. Perfect. Except for Bella. Sometimes she will eat, other times the bowl is scary and she won’t go near it.

Ive tried it on the mat so it doesn’t slide, tried different bowl shapes, non metal, different rooms, Etc. I don’t know what’s upsetting her. If I hold the bowl she won’t come near, but will eat whatever I pick up with my hand or a spoon. I can’t tip her tiny portion of wet food on the floor, but she will eat the biscuits from the floor or mat without issue. I don’t like to leave her, as she won’t get her food at all if the others finish and approach her. She always backs off. I don’t watch her or hover, just stand to the edge of the kitchen to make sure she eats. She’s hungry, just seems to be scared of her bowl!

meleeka

Visit site
My JRT is funny too and will also eat quite happily from the floor.

I feed her in a different room and shut the baby gate at meal times. Most of the time she’ll walk away and back to it a couple of times before eating, but if she hasn’t eaten after 5 minutes I take it up until the next meal (I always give her fresh, the other dog has the leftovers).

I’m planning on trying a raised bowl for her, just in case something is making her uncomfortable, but she’s always been a fussy madam around food.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Why are you expecting her to do something she is clearly uncomfortable with?

She's obviously got a bad association with the bowl or that area or eating with the other dogs (again, I don't know why others would be allowed to approach and finish her food).

It all sounds a bit regimented. I'd persist in feeding her alone in a different area.
And/or raise the feeding receptacle/surface in case it's to do with neck or spinal discomfort.

Antw23uk

Visit site
How old is she and when was she last given the once over by the vet? She could have an issue with her teeth! I'd not feed her in this routine, she would get her feed on a small rubber mat and in a separate room. I dont pander to dogs little whims which is why I steer clear of the 'precious' types (and we have a 'don't eat, go hungry' rule in our house) but for this there is something else going on by the sound of it so I'd want to investigate more rather than trying to make her fit in!

skinnydipper

Visit site
I've just looked back at your previous thread.

I think her anxiety around food stems from when they all had to eat from the same bowl, every dog for himself, and in that respect nothing has changed really if other dogs are allowed to approach her bowl.

Poor little soul is too worried to eat.

She needs to know that she can eat in peace. That no-one, human or canine, is going to interfere with her food.

The advice in my previous post still stands.

ETA. If she feels more secure with you around, therefore more inclined to relax and eat, then you could try sitting in the room with her initially.

I would suggest continuing to supervise your other dogs at mealtimes to prevent further issues.

Last edited:

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I would feed her separately from the others and leave her to get on with it in peace. I have never used a silicone mat but it sounds as if it's worth a try.
We have a very strict "no eating someone else's food" rule in our house, dogs are trained to sit and wait when they have finished their own meals until everyone has finished, when all are eating normally. If there is a problem, individual dogs are fed to suit.

Antw23uk

Visit site
I would feed her separately from the others and leave her to get on with it in peace. I have never used a silicone mat but it sounds as if it's worth a try.
We have a very strict "no eating someone else's food" rule in our house, dogs are trained to sit and wait when they have finished their own meals until everyone has finished, when all are eating normally. If there is a problem, individual dogs are fed to suit.

Glad I'm not the only one with this rule, lol!

PaulineW

Visit site
Just to clarify, I am in the room so can monitor if others tried to take her food. They are all polite, but the youngest is a bit food obsessed and occasionally tries his luck.

Clearly I’m trying to help this dog, and understand her thinking, not forcing her ! I’ll try again with the separate room, and a mat in case it’s the bowl, and kitchen set up with the other dogs.

Thanks for the useful advice, and the criticism I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.