It’s official I am a right wuss...

blitznbobs

Visit site
I don’t know why but my bottle has just disappeared with my new horse - was having a few teething troubles and came off with a moderately large buck - no injuries but my nerve is severely damaged with this horse - and he didn’t do anything bad particularly... excessively cross with myself as I’ve started much
More quirky horses in my life... but Decided to nip the issue in the bud and have sent him to be schooled on by a pro I have faith in — I can’t have him damaged by my nerves — hopefully I can get my bottle back in a few weeks with a few lessons from her ... but am very cross with myself.

Bernster

Visit site
Ah I have wuss like tendencies too! I think we are all capable of them especially around horses, as there are some understandable natural reactions and in built defence mechanisms. The key is how we deal with them, and they can largely be overcome. I hope it’s a blip and you’re back on track soon.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Is it a wuss? Or is it just the realisation, as you get older, that the Klingon war cry of "Today is a good day to die" isn't perhaps such a good idea... The Ankh Morpork dwarves have a better idea - "Today is a good day for someone else to die"...

You've got a confident pro to help you through it, they'll make sure the horse is alright. You just need to remember that it's ok to play to your own strengths, and they don't have to include balls of steel to be useful...

suebou

Visit site
Very well put jftd. I no longer relish fixing things, napping, bucking, loading, handling problems are now better dealt with by the next generation. Happily riding, love fast hacking and generally getting out and about and don’t mind doing the groundwork with youngsters but no longer feel the need to be first on! (Not that they are ever ridden until I’m 100% sure it’s a good plan) Take care op and enjoy your riding!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I agree, my new horse is doing well but I don't feel like setting her off jumping myself (I tried it once and plopped off!), she is going to a pro. I am wobbly and old, she deserves better!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Ah, been there. Don't bounce any more, haven't the guts to do half what I used to. I sold the last one that bucked me off. I'm riding two green ones at the moment hoping to goodness I don't join you on the floor, or I don't know if I'll be able to keep riding whichever I fall off. You've done the right thing sending him off for a while. When he comes back, I find it helps a lot with increasing my courage to wear an air jacket, in case you don't already. I hope it goes well when he returns.

J&S

Visit site
Discretion is the better part of valour! You are not a wuss, you are simply being sensible.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
I'm a permanent wuss, I've come a very long way but still not quite there yet.

I make sure little E is also ridden by confident riders, not because he needs it but because I don't want him always having to deal with my nerves. I hack and get lessons and we've come a very long way, much of it from having good friends and support.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
It sounds to me as if you are doing the sensible thing. I've been falling off horses for the last 50+ years but, apart from one notable torn muscle about 30 years ago which can still catch me unawares, the only injuries I have sustained that have caused me a problem have been within the last decade. I am pretty sure that's because I don't bounce like I used to.

oldie48

Visit site
Good plan! I've always been a wuss and have made sure I have people around me to get me through the tricky bits. I've never felt any shame about it and if I put a bit of £ in someone's pocket who is braver and/or more competent than me (most are) then tbh it seems like the sensible thing to do and I've always got a much nicer horse back. Just look forward to having fun on your horse (being bucked off, isn't fun in my book)!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i used to ride anything in my youth but now will only ride something safe and preferably not too big. my days of bouncing are long gone and now i have given up my loan horse i am very careful when people ask me to ride their horses .. if in doubt i say no, better safe than sorry IMO>>>

gunnergundog

Visit site
I've now entered my 7th decade and on Monday a fit young thing (as Goldenstar refers to them!) will be sitting on one of mine that hasn't been sat on for 5 weeks and is feeling very full of himself. I haven't 'bounced' for over 15 years and just want to have fun and pleasure from my horses nowadays.....is that too much to ask?

Hack4fun

Visit site
Don't worry about it. This happens. Just go easy on yourself and ride within yourself even if this means doing much less. Confidence will return and you can start doing more. Just keep riding little and often, very little if you feel happier.

Myloubylou

Visit site
It’s taken 7 months of welsh d youngster shenanigans to completely rip my confidence to pieces. I can still ride my old Welsh without any worry, have had her 14 years but unfamiliar horses I can’t get the what If out of my head. Selling her on before totally destroy my nerves.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Your not a wuss at all no one wants to get hurt, I don't take any risks anymore after I broke my ankle I did loose a lot of confidence but feel I have got some back now, but I am just more aware of what can go wrong and how much it can hurt when it does, there's nothing wrong with that.