It’s that time of year...clippers

Lammy

Visit site
I need a bit of help clipper shopping. Last year my trusty 10 year old mains clippers finally gave up on life and refuse to be resurrected. I managed to borrow some cordless clippers from a friend last year and loved them, they were so much lighter than my old beasts and not having a wire trailing everywhere behind you was great, especially for clipping a young horse.

So this year I’m set on having battery pack/cordless clippers. I only need to clip the 1 horse and he will only need 1 full clip, legs and half head left on, and then probably only a going over later in the year as his coat did not grow back much at all last year until spring.

I’ve been looking at the liveryman harmony plus clippers, they look good and I like everything about them. But are they meaty enough to do a full clip? Horse is quiet and good to do and I’d say gets a medium coat through at most. I don’t really want to be spending more than £250 for one clip a year. So if anyone has any experience of the harmony’s or any other recommendations it would be great to hear them ?

jnb

Visit site
I have the Lister Liberty with the Lithium battery pack which lasts 4 hours. IMO the Harmony ones take too long for a full clip as they have the smaller, snapon blades.
If your horse doesn't like noise, the Harmony style clippers are great but if you've ever clipped a hunter clip with them you'll know it takes forever, also - I had a grey and I found the Wide blades left tram lines.
I have the Covercote blades for my Libertys and hunter clip my cob in October usually and he lives out all winter (with 40g, 100g or 220g rug depending on the weather). I hog him, and trim his legs with them all year round.

Summit

Visit site
I too don’t recommend the Harmony plus. The blade is much shorter, it takes ages and for me the blades went blunt before I could finish the clip, this was on a TB. Thankfully I had spares. I sold them in the end

jnb

Visit site

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
The Heinger XPlorers are also great clippers, but there’s a bit of a size difference between them and the Harmonies :D.

D9FD5A2E-D7AE-416B-8768-2E807C5022A1.jpeg

The XPlorers are also quite a bit louder. Two of my mares are happy with either/both sets, but the third is fine only with the Harmonies.

jnb, the Harmony wide blades measure 6.5 cm across, while the Heiniger full size blades measure 7.5cm, so there is a bit of difference.

I bought the Harmonies just to trim, but they are so useful and easy to use that I bring them out most times (saves my knackered back).

SpeedyPony

Visit site
I bought masterclip roamers last year, haven't done a full clip yet, but they have been very good so far and are tough enough to go through sheep fleece with the livestock blades on ?.
They are very loud though.

Micky

Visit site
Not cordless but had my trusty second hand buy Heiniger handys for 5 + years now, never let me down, my friend has wolsley old model that are also very good.and still going strong after years of clipping lots of horses...not sure I’d trust cordless but plenty of people love them!

AFB

Visit site
I bought masterclip roamers last year, haven't done a full clip yet, but they have been very good so far and are tough enough to go through sheep fleece with the livestock blades on ?.
They are very loud though.

I have the corded version of these, must be about 8 years old now and still going strong. Noisy but for clipping one horse I'd recommend all day long.

SpotsandBays

Visit site
Not cordless but had my trusty second hand buy Heiniger handys for 5 + years now, never let me down, my friend has wolsley old model that are also very good.and still going strong after years of clipping lots of horses...not sure I’d trust cordless but plenty of people love them!
I borrow a friends old Handys and they’re fab!

ecb89

Visit site
I’ve got masterclip roamers. Clipped for the first time with them and found it really easy, no problems going through my IDs yak coat

McFluff

Visit site
I have Heineger Xplorers after recommendation on here. I used them to train a very clipper shy horse to stand to be clipped with no sedation. I think they are smooth and quiet. Very pleased with them.

taraj

Visit site

My Heiniger Handys have just died after 20 plus years of use on various horses (and the odd dog!). Really dont know how i will replace them!! Not cordless but i used some lister stars (2019 model) and didn't like them.

chaps89

Visit site
I bought lister liberty's after borrowing a friend's a couple of times.
I love them, the only thing I find is that even if I charge them straight after use and they go away charged, I need to charge them again before using them otherwise I end up with half done clips! (And this is with a new battery and charger about 2 years ago)

I picked mine up second hand on eBay as they're quite expensive new.
The heiniger cordless ones get consistently better reviews but they just looked like they would be quite a bit bigger and bulkier than the liberty and that put me off - plus I couldn't find any second hand.

Double_choc_lab

Visit site
I love them, the only thing I find is that even if I charge them straight after use and they go away charged, I need to charge them again before using them otherwise I end up with half done clips! (And this is with a new battery and charger about 2 years ago)

The heiniger cordless ones get consistently better reviews but they just looked like they would be quite a bit bigger and bulkier than the liberty and that put me off - plus I couldn't find any second hand.

As with most batteries you're supposed to charge them every couple of months when being stored. Do I remember? 'Eck I do!!

Brownmare

Visit site

Do yours have the new lithium battery? I have had a set of Lister Liberty's for years now and upgraded to the new lithium battery last year. It is so much better than the old one and just goes on forever! I love mine and find that having a separate battery pack means that the handpiece is lovely and light to use.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Another that borrowed a friend's lister liberty clippers last year when mine gave up the ghost and was really impressed by them. I consequently picked the new lithium batteries ones up in the sales at the start of lockdown and am excitingly awaiting trying them out in the coming months. I don't know whether she's still got them, but said friend did have hers up for sale a little while ago so assuming it's ok to mention, I can ask if she's still got them if you want OP?

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I’ve got masterclip roamers. Clipped for the first time with them and found it really easy, no problems going through my IDs yak coat

I bought these last year and did my first ever clip. They were easy to use and did a nice clip great but they’re massive compared to Harmony clippers.

Lammy

Visit site
Thanks for all the recommendations!

Unfortunately there’s not enough in the budget for the xplorers but they do look great...if only or the lister libertys (unless I find either for a bargain).

Has anyone heard of or used the Clipperman Dragon? I’ve not heard of them before but they look pretty good for just the 1 horse owner?

Lammy

Visit site
Another that borrowed a friend's lister liberty clippers last year when mine gave up the ghost and was really impressed by them. I consequently picked the new lithium batteries ones up in the sales at the start of lockdown and am excitingly awaiting trying them out in the coming months. I don't know whether she's still got them, but said friend did have hers up for sale a little while ago so assuming it's ok to mention, I can ask if she's still got them if you want OP?

If you don’t mind asking that would be very much appreciated ?

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
My Heiniger clippers are corded Equeclippers I bought in the 1980s and still good as new though they only do about 3 clips a year.
If I was looking for a cordless clipper I'd go for another Heiniger pair.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
My Heiniger clippers are corded Equeclippers I bought in the 1980s and still good as new though they only do about 3 clips a year.
If I was looking for a cordless clipper I'd go for another Heiniger pair.
Ha, I’ve still my Equeclippers too! Bought in the 80’s as nearly new. Enormous long heavy things, but bullet proof.

‘The cool, green Equeclip clipper’.

Had them serviced and stored safely away as ‘spares’. I seem to collect clippers...

ihatework

Visit site
I haven’t had the cordless heinigers but if I ever need another set I’d go back to that brand in a heartbeat.

Ive got Lister Liberties, the clip finish is nice and they are easy to use but since day 1 they overheat quickly. No amount of oiling or tension adjustment helps. Thought I must just have a dodgy pair but borrowed my friends liberties and they run hot too (but not quite as scalding as mine). Never had this issue with any other brand

Dexter

Visit site
clipperman are absolutely awful! I went for Masterclip about 5yr ago. They have been totally abused and are still going. They were loads cheaper than anything else on the market at the time. Customer service is brilliant as well which always helps.

Lammy

Visit site
Thanks for all the recommendations, it really helped :)

I’ve had a good look at the roamers and even though someone said they were a bit loud I don’t think that will be too much of a problem so have gone for them and will get some quieter,smaller trimmers for the head. Thanks all! ?