It seems taking two was a mistake....

Annagain

Visit site
While M has been off lame, I've been taking A out to Riding Club a bit more. I started sharing M 9 years ago when A couldn't jump any more and, while A was perfectly capable of flat work I always took M as he was easier. Having taken A quite a bit more this last 6 months he's been coming on really well - enough to make me feel guilty for 'neglecting' him (i.e. hacking, doing fun rides and generally letting him live the life of riley) so, now that M is back in action I couldn't choose between them for yesterday's clinic. No problem - the trailer is for two horses and the Defender will tow them both so off the 3 of us went.

Archie called for the whole of his lesson but worked well. Monty was a perfect gent and trainer was really pleased to see him back and doing so well. M and I shared a lesson with a poor girl on a horse who was a bit excited to say the least. It took her a good 10 minutes to get on and she spent the next 15 totally out of control. Meanwhile M kept doing his canter / trot / canter transitions like nothing was going on. We then spent 5 minutes chaperoning them at a walk just to get the mare to do a whole circuit of the school without going nuts. The rider explained the horse was like as she hadn't been out since before Christmas - it was at this point I realised it was M's first trip out (except to the vet) since June!

The boys were both great. I, however, can't move today.

dixie

Visit site
Doesn't sound like a mistake to me, a resounding success in fact! Must be nice to have a horse come back into work successfully after such a long time off.

Annagain

Visit site
Doesn't sound like a mistake to me, a resounding success in fact! Must be nice to have a horse come back into work successfully after such a long time off.

Tell my thigh muscles and back that!

It is lovely to have M back - he'll never jump again but at 21 after the years of fun and confidence he's given us, that's a minor point. He's just the easiest horse. I hadn't even considered the fact he hadn't been anywhere exciting for months until the girl who was having problems mentioned hers hadn't been out for 3 weeks! That's just the sort of horse he is, so chilled.

Last edited:

Annagain

Visit site
I feel your pain ... Im not sure which superstar to take to camp this year!

It was easy in the past as A couldn't jump but M could so anything like camp was a no-brainer. Now they're both crocked and they can both just do flat I can't pick one! I suspect M might win camp as he's much easier to deal with on the ground too but that will mean I'll have to take A to more riding club stuff to make up for it!