It was just going too well, is this another block in the road?

BethanT

Visit site
Need a place to vent, and if anyone has any advise or experiences with anything like this would be greatly appreciated.

So back in 2015/16 my gelding went lame big time (I think I probably posted about it then). He had an SI ligament injury, along with signs of OCD lesions, poor foot balance, and a drop in the angle of front pedal bones, which put him on 3 months box rest, and then a long slow rehab plan.

He has since been doing extremely well. With no signs of lameness linked to those issues (only lose of shoes etc). His rehab worked great, and his flat work and jumping was and is better than ever.

Among all this I treated for Ulcers, though didn't go down the scoping route as I am a firm believer in that without treating the initial cause they will always be there. As he is a naturally stressy horse, I altered his diet and put him on a pre & pro-biotic supplement of Protexin. He is insured so I could scope, but treating how I have seems to have made a difference so I am managing him as though he has and so seems pointless scoping (unless anyone can think of any other benefit to it).

Cue the last few months he has got increasingly unhappy about having his girth done up, his grazing has been restricted due to lack of grass and turnout, so I upped his dose of Protexin in the hope this would help. He has also had him saddle re-flocked and fitted in the past few weeks as when he starts to get grumpy with his saddle being put on I know this is more a sign of his saddle not fitting. But he is still doing it, and really protested last night when I popped a lunge roller on him.

I also noticed while grooming him that he is particularly sore over his spine, over his lumbar towards his SI, and I think I can see boney protrusions. My heart sank. Is this a sign of Kissing Spines? I really hope not, and although a grumpy sod to tack up his ridden work is still really good. He is working up through his shoulders, using his hocks, his jump has got a much better shape and he actually uses his back - whereas before he had a very boxy shape.

I've got in touch with my saddler again as she has ordered me an anatomical girth for him, and also to get her to come and have another look at the saddle. I also want to catch up with my vet, and I have a sports massage therapist booked (she was the one who initially picked up on SI issue). I just really hope he just has a bit of soreness from working in this new and improved way and it's nothing more sinister :(

On a side note, I did remove a massive bean from his man bits on Monday, could that have been causing all this tension and soreness? I am hoping so.

He is insured, so I can go down the route of x-rays of his back if needed, and I can get him scoped on insurance too if it would be of any real benefit. But just seems that the minute I get a plan together for a comp season something goes wrong :(

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I'm no expert but my understanding is that ulcers need medically treating. Which is why I am now scoping my pony. She is also fed as if she has ulcers but I want to scope and - if necessary - treat too.

SEL

Visit site
If your insurance would definitely cover you (must be absolutely no prior mention of ulcers or stomach issues on your vet record) then I think it is worth scoping. Yes, they are usually caused by an underlying problem but sometimes sadly the gut problem is the main problem.

I can now get omeprazole from the vet without a scope as the one done a few years ago showed ulcers, so we work on the assumption there is a flare up when she gets tetchy. It is no longer covered by insurance and ridiculously expensive.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I'm assuming when you say you treated for ulcers you bought abler stuff?

I'm not sure how good the ulcer points thing is but would wonder if that is why you are getting a reaction SI wise, and the soreness/tightness is what is making it look a bit odd.

BethanT

Visit site
I haven't "officially" treated for ulcers.

My vet recommended omeprazole which you can use for humans and get hold of in supermarkets etc, he told me the dosage I needed and period of time I needed to give to him, there was some improvement. My vet is great and is certainly not in it for the money, so if he can save his clients time and money he will. Not to say he won't scope if required but he came from a practice who used to scope because they were partially funded and supported by Gastro-Guard, so everything got scoped even if it wasn't required.

Thinking about it, the major change was when his turnout started to get restricted, so probably an ulcer flare up. So perhaps I will go down the scoping and official treatment route. It is such a catch 22 situation, no idea which is the primary issue :( Wish he could just tell me.

Michen

Visit site
Ulcers are incredibly painful and need properly diagnosing and treating , not just with protexin which should be more to prevent them once healed. You should absolutely scope and see if they are there, treat accordingly and re scope to ensure they are gone.

SusieT

Visit site
I assume as your horse is showing significant signs of pain as described in your post that you are no longer working him and are seeking your vets advice asap?

wingedhorse

Visit site
The problem with straight omazeprole as I understand it, it that it does not last. A human only produces stomach acid when eating. A horse produces stomach acid non stop.

You cannot typically replace horse omazeprole with human omazeprole, as the horse one has been modified so one syringe can last 24 hours, and then human version doesn’t.

Only the Abler / Gastroguard / Ulcer Gold / Petizole products for horses, have the sustained slow release effect needed to heal ulcers.

You could buy one of these products and give a weeks supply and see if horse improves, and if improves scope?

To be honest a scope costs about £250, I would just have horse scoped. If does have ulcers insurance will pay for it.

BethanT

Visit site
I assume as your horse is showing significant signs of pain as described in your post that you are no longer working him and are seeking your vets advice asap?

Yes he is now just on in hand work so that he still gets something as he cannot get turned out everyday (not ideal I know and the grazing situation should improve over the next few weeks if we don't have constant rain), and light hacking otherwise his brain implodes on him. Oddly, when he is/was ridden he showed NO signs whatsoever of being uncomfortable, whereas before he wouldn't pick up the right canter lead, ears would be back, sluggish etc.

But yes have left a message with my vet that I need to speak with him yesterday, no call back yet so will call again today.

Why can't they speak?!

Last edited:

BethanT

Visit site
The problem with straight omazeprole as I understand it, it that it does not last. A human only produces stomach acid when eating. A horse produces stomach acid non stop.

You cannot typically replace horse omazeprole with human omazeprole, as the horse one has been modified so one syringe can last 24 hours, and then human version doesn’t.

Only the Abler / Gastroguard / Ulcer Gold / Petizole products for horses, have the sustained slow release effect needed to heal ulcers.

You could buy one of these products and give a weeks supply and see if horse improves, and if improves scope?

To be honest a scope costs about £250, I would just have horse scoped. If does have ulcers insurance will pay for it.

Have you any experience of any of those products? Which would you recommend?

I will have another chat with the vet and see if I can get him scoped, as well as maybe having a bit of an MOT in general.

wingedhorse

Visit site
Have you any experience of any of those products? Which would you recommend?

I will have another chat with the vet and see if I can get him scoped, as well as maybe having a bit of an MOT in general.

Abler can be bought without a prescription but is grey on import tax and legality. The other three are all similar and all require to be bought via a prescription.

One of my horses was scoped in January, and had both squamous and glandular ulcers, and thus required a combination treatment of three drugs. But just squamous is more common and should respond well to just omazeprole.

BethanT

Visit site
Abler can be bought without a prescription but is grey on import tax and legality. The other three are all similar and all require to be bought via a prescription.

One of my horses was scoped in January, and had both squamous and glandular ulcers, and thus required a combination treatment of three drugs. But just squamous is more common and should respond well to just omazeprole.

Thank you. Will call my vet and actually go through with scoping I think.

Massage therapist out next week, I presume she will still be able to treat him as he isn't showing signs of lameness at all.

Interestingly, on her advise I did a hindquarter tuck on him, VERY reactive to that. So he is definitely sore through his glutes.