It wasn't a great week until last night

View

Visit site
It started last Saturday when our darling cat was PTS (renal failure).

Made it in to work on Monday, and have spent since then explaining that while I can and do frequently manage to produce miracles, the impossible is just that.

On Tuesday, while walking back to the station on the way home, I took my usual route home over a bridge - and realised that there was a woman standing on the bridge parapet. Fortunately, someone else noticed and he walked over to her and started talking to her while I made the 999 call. I'm glad to say that he talked her down, and was walking her off the bridge when the police and ambulance arrived.

On Wednesday I was told (along with many others) that for the fifth year in a row, no pay rise.

Yesterday, it was back to explaining the impossible and trying to defend the morally indefensible, while seeing our pension scheme being attacked in the media.

But I finished yesterday with a big grin on my face, thanks to a conformationally challenged horse. He's a marmite horse, and it's a two way thing with him. If you don't click with him, he will not work for you and just about tolerates you on the ground. Fortunately, I know there is nice horse under there - he's not spooky, makes you work for it, but is a joy to hack and has a ground covering cross country stride.

Had a fab lesson on him - he spooked as soon as I got him in the school, showed a bit of attitude when asked to work, but I didn't have the usual 10 minutes trying to re-install the forward button. Last night wasn't a night to work on softness with him, but he did offer some nice rhythmical work in all paces. He's the sort of horse where you keep schooling sessions short and sweet, and mix it up to stop him anticipating and keep him listening. We put some poles down for him, and he made it obvious that he didn't fancy trotting poles - so we just scattered them around and carried on working, getting him to think about sorting his feet out himself.

Popped him into canter, and he locked onto a line of poles that were just about spaced for canter poles, but weren't completely evenly spaced for the strides. And he made it obvious he was enjoying this!

It was one of those lessons that you really enjoy and come away full of ideas to try out.

And such a good antidote to a grim week.

I'm still smiling about it now, just had to share.

CMcC

Visit site
Thanks for sharing.
Sometimes there is just a special moment when we know why all the money and time we put into our horses is worth it.