Itchy bums!

maxapple

Visit site
My tb has been scratching his tail on the stable door recently. He's moulting like crazy and is losing hair all over the place. Of my other two neds, one has sweet itch and one is an itchy cob - so it's hard to know if this is just the weather or something else.

I wormed All 3 of my horses a month ago with equest - But wonder if if could be pin worms? Would they occur so quickly after worming? I'm going to get a worm count done to be sure - just wondered what people thought?

maxapple

Visit site
Mmm didn't think about that. Total numpty question - how would I know? Can u see them? Two ponies are clipped so would that make it less likely? I groom every day and haven't seen anything (but have never seen lice so not sure what I'm looking for!) :)

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Quote 'My tb has been scratching his tail on the stable door recently'

If you horse has been rubbing the top of his tail against walls etc & it's getting spikey & looking almost like it's been singed due to the amount of rubbing & friction get some Benzyl Benzoate & apply that to the top of the tail. Rub it in well & remember to use gloves to apply it. It will soothe the itch & he will stop doing it. It's also good for applying to manes when they are rubbing that as well.

You can purchase it from some chemists (they may look at you a little strangely because it is used in the treatment of scabies) or you can buy it on line from Hyperdrug.

http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Easivet-Benzyl-Benzoate-Application-1L/productinfo/BENZYLEASI/

galaxy

Visit site
Equest does not work on pin worm and neither do normal egg counts. You need to blot their bottom with sellotape and send that off for analysis. Give westgate and call for clarification (we did it a month ago and the test was free! :) ) we panacur guarded for pin worm and it cleared it.

charmeroo

Visit site
Agree with Galaxy. If it's pinworm the underside of the tail and surrounding 'bum' will be a bit sore. Panacur is the only thing which treats pionworm successfully. You should also disinfect all the surfaces that he has been rubbing on.