Itchy hocks

Louby

Visit site
I posted a while ago about my boys itchy hocks. Im not sure if hes rubbing his bum (as he gets rubs on the side of his dock)and catching his hocks somehow or if hes itching his hocks. Hes itched them that bad now theres a one inch cut on the side of his hock, it looks as if hes found something sharp to itch it on but I cant see anything in his stable and he's doing it overnight so it must be from in the stable. He was skin scraped last winter and it came back normal. My vet reckons he's allergic to something as it happened last year but not this bad. Im wondering if its mild sweet itch as he does itch bad but not in the places you would expect.
Does anyone use anything that helps stop the itching?

joanne1920

Visit site
my ponies are itching they do every summer, my farrier reckoned it was something to do with toxins in the body making them itch but im not so sure, could be an allergy do you use mane and tail spary or anything similar?

try giving it a good wash then you could try tea tree mist sparyed on the itchy bits, but ive never found anything that works particulary well, so i will follow this post with interest...

Louby

Visit site
Thanks for replying.
Last year I used T Gel shampoo on his hocks as advised by a H & H member and at first it worked but then he itched again. I tried neat hibiscrub on the advice of the vet as we thought it was mites at first and also benzyl benzuate but none worked long term and he hadnt actually broke the skin when I tried them.
For the last 2 nights Ive put Coopers along his spine and either side of his mane and he hasnt rubbed his hocks. It could be a coincidence but fingers crossed.

joanne1920

Visit site
yes fingers crossed, my mares extremly itchy this morning, shes starting to moult already, ive got some coopers so ill try it too, will let you know how i get on! x