Itchy horse

Denbob

Visit site
Anyone else's itchy at the moment? D seems to be struggling a bit, especially mane, tail, nose and back! No change in management in the last two weeks it's been happening, he's unrugged, naturally quite a hot horse (temperature wise) and a smidgen overweight but we're working on it.

I'm thinking:

1) try antihistamines in case it's seasonal
2) herbal type bath but might make things worse as he's got quite sensitive skin.
3) bite the bullet and clip working on the assumption it's heat related.

Not really sure how to proceed!

tankgirl1

Visit site
What antihistamines do you use? My mare has lice, deosect arriving tomorrow, but was thinking of trying antihistamines just to help get rid of the itch..

Mum4b

Visit site
My boy is an itchy pony and I now feed him D&H 'Itch Free' which is a blend of 'soothing' herbs, Camomile etc... It really seems to help.
Also recently clipped him as he was so hot.

Horsekaren

Visit site
i rate anti histamines, my boy had always been a big itch bag this time of year. I have had him on cetrizine for head shaking for 2 months, it has helped that a little but i was actually just thinking last week it must be helping the itching as he isnt itchy this year... and he is still shedding.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Anyone else's itchy at the moment? D seems to be struggling a bit, especially mane, tail, nose and back! No change in management in the last two weeks it's been happening, he's unrugged, naturally quite a hot horse (temperature wise) and a smidgen overweight but we're working on it.

I'm thinking:

1) try antihistamines in case it's seasonal
2) herbal type bath but might make things worse as he's got quite sensitive skin.
3) bite the bullet and clip working on the assumption it's heat related.

Not really sure how to proceed!
I put mine on soya oil as she was scratching her heals a lot, now she stopped.

Antw23uk

Visit site
My mare scratches her bum a lot at the moment. Again a very hot horse with the inherited gypsy cob thick horrible coat! I was thinking of maybe clipping her out as she is sweaty coming back from even the quietest of rides!

Denbob

Visit site
Just in case anyone else is struggling, clipped him out yesterday and he is a much happier boy, checking him this morning he wasn't in my face demanding scratches or pulling faces at his field mate so right decision I think!