Itchy horses!!! SOS!!!! Help!

Visit site
Hello, My horse and the horses he grazes with have become particularly itchy in the last couple of months. The problem have been itching mane and flank area where the fur divides as well as girth and shoulder area and sometimes under neck. Recently horses got sores where they have been itching so much. Have tried lice powder and insecticide shampoo as well as imaveral. Any advice or opinions welcome. Want to try a few other things before vet. Also does anyone know a good live powder?? Thank you.

ThePony

Visit site
Could they be getting a bit warm? With this unseasonaly warm weather alot of horses are over rugged - not enough to do harm, but over time can certainly make them very itchy.

leskaneen

Visit site
Stop -itch(thats what its actually called) cream-my welshie used to rub his mate completely off before i discovered it-works a treat!!

HazyXmas

Visit site
My mare's been itchy too for about 5 months now, changed her to Pure feed which did help but am wondering if it's midges as it's been so mild.

A friend mentioned Stop-itch, what is it & what do u do with it?

Visit site
Did ur horse have anything like lice or mites? And that's why the use of shampoo or was it just as horse was itchy?? And stop itch I'm looking into as someone mentioned it earlier.

Visit site
Did ur horse have anything like lice or mites? And that's why the use of shampoo or was it just as horse was itchy?? And stop itch I'm looking into as someone mentioned it earlier.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Don't know if offering any enlightenment: but this winter has been so mild that there's loads of midges around. Mines got sweet itch and on Christmas Day (!!!!) I had to put him out in his sweet itch protective rug, which I've never ever had to do before at that time of year. Usually I start looking out for the dreaded midges from around the half-term/February break; but this year is exceptional.

So its just a thought: perhaps yours are getting bitten by midges??