Itchy Shetland

equibabe20

Visit site
My 7 year old shetland mare is very itchy. About spring time last year she started itching very badly mainly, her mane and tail but also her back and top of her hindquarters too. She had a couple of baths when the weather was good with the Dermoline Insecticidal shampoo and I also found some very good anti-itch cream that really helped, she stopped itching and all the hair grew back lovely. But now she's started doing it again quite badly is it sweet itch again or could it be something else? Any help would be appreciated X

LusoLover

Visit site
My horses little shetland girlfriend has been really itchy since October. She's rubbed parts of her body so much so that she looks like she's been clipped in places. The vet had a look recently and took some skin samples as he was unsure. Will let you know when the results are back.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Little horse on our yard is having the odd day when she will itch. Remember on the warmer days we have been seeing midges.

I would treat her with the ani midge cream you used previously on the warmer days and see if that helps.

joanne1920

Visit site
Hiya, sounds like lice, but could be alot of things, id put some louse powder on just in case, could be sweet itch but the skin looks swollen and sore normally, whereas lice tend too look like lots of scurffy bit and if theyre biting lice then some sores. could be if your shetland gets lots of sugary things thats making her itch? ie lots of grass? id de louse her and see how it goes... hope that helps a but!

ru-fi-do

Visit site
Like amymay said we have had some midges, my shettie suffers with sweet itch and i'm protecting him already. Has she got a thick coat? Just wondered as mine gets itchy when he sweats so we give him a little clip?

equibabe20

Visit site
Hi all, yep she has a very thick coat!! There are 4 of them out together and she is the only one thats itching but I'll pop out and get some louse powder just in case. I don't think its sugar as the grass is very poor but you never know I'll bear that in mind. Ive just been out and put her cream on so hopefully that'll help. X

Kezza

Visit site
Some horses are starting to change coat already due to the mild weather and many itch during this period and some even lose huge patches of hair. I don't have the answer but it is quite common in case that makes you feel any better! Sorry!