Itchy tail tip

FFAQ

Visit site
I have just noticed a bald, raw, sore looking patch on the tip of my dogs' tail. He's obviously been chewing on it (although he's doing it sneakily as I can't catch him doing it). What could it be? He was de-flead about a month ago, but I have just put another pipette on just in case it's fleas. However, he doesn't seem itchy in any other places. Could it just be that he's been bitten or stung on the tip of his tail?

My other question is - what do I do about it? Are there any tried and tested anti-itch remedies I can try before booking a vet appointment, or do you guys reckon just take him to the vet?

Thanks in advance!

JillA

Visit site
Skin conditions can be nothing or very serious - including such delights as mange. I would get him to the vet, who will look for thickened skin, maybe take a skin scraping.

Clodagh

Visit site
What sort of tail is it? I have an ongoing saga with my labs tail as she makes it sore from wagging it on door frames and so on then she bites/chews at it as it is uncomfortable. She did cut it out shooting last year and it took months to clear up, and still has a bald scabby patch I think we are stuck with.

Clodagh

Visit site
To add - you can get something called a 'dog end' which is a bit of mesh that is supposed to protect it. My vet nurse neice swears by them but I'm nmot sure they would be up to a day in the brambles.

FFAQ

Visit site
Thanks everyone! He's a 9 year old Dalmation x collie, so short haired. Never had any skin issues before.

Dry Rot

Visit site
Are you sure he isn't wagging his tail and hitting objects with it? This is why working spaniels, terriers, etc. had their tails docked.

No suggestions how to protect it as I never managed to control the problem. Some dogs just have tails prone to being damaged. Regular spraying with salt solution might be as good as anything.