Itchy with a rug/saddle pad on

Ellietotz

Visit site
I posted about this a couple of months a go about my mare being too itchy with a fly rug etc on and she had been de-liced etc so wasn't that. Some advised she was probably too hot and decided I didn't want to keep replacing rugs.
Now it's getting colder, she is still so itchy with a rug on and saddle pads. I don't know what it could be? I've checked her fur and skin, all looks fine.

Any ideas?

ebonyallen

Visit site
Have you heard of stinky stuff? Might be worth checking them out. They do all sorts of stuff for horses and other animals. All their products are made from natural products. Not sure if much help, couldn't think of anything else sorry. Hope you get it sorted

Leo Walker

Visit site
Have you heard of stinky stuff? Might be worth checking them out. They do all sorts of stuff for horses and other animals. All their products are made from natural products. Not sure if much help, couldn't think of anything else sorry. Hope you get it sorted

Its just neem oil with a big price tag.

Andie02

Visit site
Are you washing your rugs and saddle pad yourself and if so what with? Incorrect products can cause skin irritations, also domestic washing machines under about 12 years old do not use enough water to rinse properly. You need to use products such as Nikwax which will not cause skin irritations.

Ellietotz

Visit site
Are you washing your rugs and saddle pad yourself and if so what with? Incorrect products can cause skin irritations, also domestic washing machines under about 12 years old do not use enough water to rinse properly. You need to use products such as Nikwax which will not cause skin irritations.

I hose them down with water after use if they get sweaty but that's it.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
How old is she? My mare got really itchy when she had cushings and her meds were not at the right level! she'd literally harass me for scratches constantly.

My Cushings mare had skin problems before she started on Prascend but a different mare reacted to some foodstuffs by itching, when we stopped feeding her on it, the itching stopped.

DD

Visit site
they are moulting could be more sensitive because of that. check oyur washing powder non-bio is usually best to use it doesn't irritate like the other type.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
It's a bad time of year to tell really because they're all itchy from moulting. Brush her thoroughly to get out as much loose hair as possible, wash with something soothing and wash your rugs and saddlepads.

If it turns out to be more than moulting or too hot itching then some kind of food intolerance would probably be the first thing to consider.

Ellietotz

Visit site
Nope, she's on a completely molasses free diet. Honeychop Lite and Healthy and a cup of Graze On grass nuts. She has been itchy all through summer, the only thing that has been new to her diet is Equine Answers Premierflex HA...
I can't even google it and look at old forum threads. :(

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
is there any alfalfa in any of that, or does she get carrots at all? We have had horses that were made itchy by both of those but the only way to find out is to cut out all supplementary feeding for about one month, then gradually (about one per week) add the separate feeds in and monitor the reaction.

Ellietotz

Visit site
I hope not as she goes loopy on alfalfa! As far as I'm aware, there is no alfalfa in anything she gets. She doesn't have carrots either, very rarely if anything. I'm going to start by removing the joint supplement. I just get worried about changing things around because of previous ulcers.