It's a sad day

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
When fellow equestrians force you off the road.

Yes honestly believe it. My friend and I were out letting her five year old see the world on our quiet country back roads when we were abused and forced off the road by a woman in a horse lorry.

She flew past us going up the road on the other side ignoring our signals to slow down, we had hi viz on, then 20mins later we see her coming up behind us on a narrow road at a hump back bridge. Asked her to stop to let us into a driveway after the bridge and she completely ignored us and forced her way past. I signalled she was a nutter and she then slammed on the brakes in the middle of the road and a car nearly went into the back of her.

She moved over slightly the car tried to squeeze past and she tried a few times to get out of the lorry. She then blocked the road again after the car past so we had to pass her. She then had the cheek to shout at me that if our horses weren't safe they shouldn't be on the road. At this point Kia hadn't batted an eyelid as he is bombproof but the youngster was dancing a little but ok as Kia wasn't reacting. I shouted for her to not be so stupid and dismisse her, she let me pass then abused my friend and pulled out separating us. She then stuck her lorry up Kias butt and revved the engine in an attempt to scare him as he still wasn't reacting so I took out my phone and took images

image.jpg13_zpsjnazy2fm.jpg

Yes that is Kias tail in the bottom left :eek:
image.jpg14_zpswdqxly4w.jpg

When she saw me taking pics she then forced me off the road onto the pavement :mad:

image.jpg1_zpsgaiwxwvj.jpg

This has been reported to the police who are taking it very seriously as she endangered us and other road users and at one point were were boxed in within touching distance of three cars and had the horses freaked all hell would have broken loose.

Just goes to show that we assume that other horse riders and owners especially those with children might be a bit more courteous on the roads but to assume that is very very wrong. If that had been any other horse I have owned I don't think I would be typing this up right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
You did the right thing by reporting the incident but keep in contact with the police, find out who is actually dealing with the incident because sometimes all the right noises are made when you report the incident but it isn't always followed through. Also looking at your photos, was there a youngster in the passenger seat taking photos of you as they were along side?

muckypony

Visit site
What a psychopath, poor you! Scary that these kind of people are allowed to own animals. Hopefully no one ever does the same to her children out on the roads....

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
Too awful! I hope she sees this and is thoroughly ashamed.
They both seem to be wearing similar jackets, team? Employees? Horse transporter? I sincerely hope not the last.

DragonSlayer

Visit site
Glad you reported it and glad you took the pictures, let us know the outcome. I am sure at some point this weekend the pics taken of YOU will be on social media somewhere as 'dangerous nutters on horses' or something similar....

the shadster

Visit site
Truly ignorant, arrogant woman. How does she think young horses become safe on roads then? Are they supposed to be born like it or is it achieved by going out with a safe companion on quiet roads where considerate drivers help to make it a positive, non scary experience for them.
Shame on her.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I had a pony once that had been hit by a horsebox which was on its way to a local competition venue and they had been in such a hurry they just forced their way past even though the pony was playing up. It meant that he was never safe in traffic after that as he would panic when anything large came behind him.

Stupid woman driver. Not an old banger of a lorry either, so obviously a horse person.

WelshD

Visit site
As the box passed you twice twenty minutes apart perhaps the driver was lost/stressed and uncharacteristic in her behaviour

absolutely does NOT justify her behaviour but hopefully she doesn't make a habit of this and is feeling bad about it

I find it shocking that the child was taking pics rather than giving her mum a mouthful!

Holly Hocks

Visit site
If the Police don't take any action against her (and make sure they aren't going to before you do this!) I would post the photos on every Horse site on Facebook with your comments and don't blank out the registration number of the box. You will be surprised at the effect it will have.

onemoretime

Visit site
Please could you report this on the www.horseaccidents.org.uk we site
Ask the police for an incident number so that it is recorded on their database.
This sounds very much like 'dangerous driving' and I very much hope that action is taken against this driver and she is banned from driving.

Agree with this also the BHS web site has a horse accident reporting site. These people must not be allowed to get away with such outrageous behaviour. Who does she think she is!!!

ChesnutsRoasting

Visit site
The police only have to check the reg with the DVLA to find out the owner & have a quiet word. Drivers need to chill out - what could be worse than causing a death whilst driving?

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
I blanked out the reg number as the police were taking it seriously and the driver has been charged with dangerous driving I have now found out and this will go before the procurator fiscal.

If it doesn't go anywhere then the reg plate won't be blanked out

Frumpoon

Visit site
Worse when it happens on a busy show ground and you are clearly struggling with an over excited horse that is ready to take off.....

Feel for you OP, most unpleasant experience

Where in the country are you?

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
I am in central Scotland, in a very horsey area. At least six yards within and hours hacking distance of mine and twice that of private stables at people's houses.

Noodles_3

Visit site
What a horrible woman! Makes me so angry, people like this. I am so glad that the police are taking it seriously!

Marydoll

Visit site
Doesnt matter how stressed they are, what you described was a callus unforgivable act of separating 2 vulnerable road users and inciting unrest in one that couldve cost the life of the rider, horse and and caused an accident with other road users, i hope they throw the book at them

nagnagone

New User
Visit site
Please also report to the BHS.they collate lots of info and will know if anyone has reported her before, and they campaign for road safety and off road access. There is a "report an incident" on their website.

foraday

Visit site
Even though the police are taking this seriously, you need to go further!

Report to DVSA as Team Jackets suggest professionals and there is no operators licence in the windows.

There is no justification for driving like that in a vehicle that can quite easily kill anyone due to its' size and weight.