Its Grand National Week!

Visit site
There is less than a week to go until the greatest jumps race on the calendar! 5.15pm Saturday 6th of April 40 horses will line up, 40 horses will hear the roar, 40 horses will thunder down to the first fence (I wish they didn't go quite as quick!) Hopefully 40 horses will stay on their feet but most importantly that all 40 horses come back in to their devoted lads/lasses and back to their comfy stables for their dinner.

I would love to see Arthur win again. Who wouldn't!?!?! I know he hasn't exactly had the ideal preperation this time round but everything has come together in time. He just needs a clean round again and he should have a chance of bringing home some decent prize money again!

Saying that I can't see Tiger Roll being beaten if he stays on his feet. He has done what no other National winner has done in a long time - won another good race again! Very few win again ever but he seems to be even better than ever this year!

I would love Captain Redbeard to get a run again. It would be good to see another grey and Scottish based horse win - but then the personal rivallry in me hopes that Lake View Lad doesn't!

Gordon Elliott goes in mob handed with at least 12 runners! Possibly 16 if they all get in and I wouldn't dismiss one of his outsiders.

What are you guys backing this year?

bonny

Visit site
I thought tiger roll was a good thing but now the weights have gone up I’m not so sure, it’s a big ask now and maybe something from the bottom of the handicap will beat him. Silly question but if you could ask Arthur if he fancies another go at the National what do you think he would say ?

Calluna

Visit site
On the basis of absolutely no (a) knowledge or (b) research I have gone with:
One for Arthur
Anibale Fly
Pleasant Company
Ramses de Teille
I’m not an habitual racegoer or follower so this is just a bit of fun across a pretty broad range of odds.

Reactions: D66
Visit site
I'm pretty certain he would say: Mate, I'm already a National winner, I am so cool I am almost frozen and I plan on doing it all again because I am such a big headed moron!

Lol! I admire the horse but I actually don't like him as a horse! Since he won the other year he has turned into even more of an arrogant pita! It doesn't help that some people pander to him, spoil him and let him away with blue murder!

No I think he would say - I will try my very best for you because you have asked it of me.

Clodagh

Visit site
Has Vintage Clouds got in? (I could go and look, but one of you can probably tell me). I love him. :)

OK, I did go and look... I want him to win! :)

Mariposa

Visit site
To be totally honest I'm more excited about the Betway Bowl and the Aintree Hurdle tomorrow!

However - I'd love Tigar Roll to win! But i've gone for....
  • Ultragold
  • Walk in the Mill (hoping he makes the cut!)
  • Annibale Fly
  • Ms Parfois

bonny

Visit site
Well done the amateur jockeys in the foxhunter, good examples of responsible riding pulling up tired horses!
As they do, the jumps look even easier if that’s possible but you certainly need a horse who can cope with soft ground

Clodagh

Visit site
Wasn't Kalishnikov fantastic? Love him, he did it! Sorry for the mare, she is a cracker, but so pleased for K, he is so gorgeous.
Pentland Hills ran an amazing race as well, I hope he grows on for next year, he looks very special. And Kemboy, although I wasn't rooting for him, ran a blinder and made it look so easy.
The hurdle wasn't all that, I did want Buveur D'Air to win.
The Foxhunters was a yawn, I could probably jump round there nowadays. (OK, maybe not). :)

Visit site
If anyone would like to follow One For Arthur - I am going to become even more annoying to my work colleagues over the next 48 hours! Join us on the Facebook page where I have no idea what I am going to be putting up yet but it will 99% be Arthur related! Plus I will have happy helpers down at Aintree with him to provide stuff for the page and possibly go live there too on the morning of the race ...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Running the work sweepstake, trying to get people to want to participate is like getting blood out of a stone!

No one will be able to say I've fixed it I have Single Farm Payment and LIve Love Laugh (stupid name!!)

Over half the runners still left this is in a decent sized office as well.

bonny

Visit site
Sorry for your yards loss EKW. He was running a great race.
This, he was going so well and I imagine the yard were shouting him home, it’s a hard sport sometimes. Barry geraghty as well, looks like a broken leg

Last edited:

joosie

Visit site
I know nothing about racing so I just pick mine on very superficial things! So this year I'm going for Tea For Two - because it's a female jockey, and because I love tea :p

Visit site
Thanks guys x

Forest Des Aigles was a lovely, genuinely nice horse. Regardless of the fact he was a decent racehorse he was a lovely horse to deal with and to ride on a daily basis. Wee Paddy has looked after him all year and will be absolutely devastated as are we all 😥 racing is a hard game at times and before anyone jumps on it - it was not the fences that caused the injury. He broke a front leg with a slightly awkward landing which could have happened anywhere.

We will remember him pinging round those big national fences! He had jumped absolutely superbly every step of the way! And he looked an absolute picture!

Last edited:

Clodagh

Visit site
He was running a stormer, it was so sad to see. What a horse, he might have got second!
Good racing today, not quite up to Thursday's standard but lovely horses all round.

Clodagh

Visit site
This, he was going so well and I imagine the yard were shouting him home, it’s a hard sport sometimes. Barry geraghty as well, looks like a broken leg

Oh no, although I have to say I thought Mark Walsh gave Champ an amazing ride. Still feel sorry for Barry, wouldn't wish that on anyone. Any news on Mark Enright?

Mariposa

Visit site
EKW my deepest sympathies for your yard yesterday. So sorry.

Edit and for the National I'm on Ultragold, Step Back, Valtor and Walk in the Mill and my 5 yr old daughter has asked for £1 on Singlefarmpayment! I'd love to see Tiger Roll win again.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
I've gone for Monbeg Notorious, Don Poli and Live Love Laugh, only small each way bets but I tend to pick the longer priced ones as dont usually bet and anything can happen.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
There is less than a week to go until the greatest jumps race on the calendar! 5.15pm Saturday 6th of April 40 horses will line up, 40 horses will hear the roar, 40 horses will thunder down to the first fence (I wish they didn't go quite as quick!) Hopefully 40 horses will stay on their feet but most importantly that all 40 horses come back in to their devoted lads/lasses and back to their comfy stables for their dinner.

I would love to see Arthur win again. Who wouldn't!?!?! I know he hasn't exactly had the ideal preperation this time round but everything has come together in time. He just needs a clean round again and he should have a chance of bringing home some decent prize money again!

Saying that I can't see Tiger Roll being beaten if he stays on his feet. He has done what no other National winner has done in a long time - won another good race again! Very few win again ever but he seems to be even better than ever this year!

I would love Captain Redbeard to get a run again. It would be good to see another grey and Scottish based horse win - but then the personal rivallry in me hopes that Lake View Lad doesn't!

Gordon Elliott goes in mob handed with at least 12 runners! Possibly 16 if they all get in and I wouldn't dismiss one of his outsiders.

What are you guys backing this year?
I won't bet on it, 2 horses have already died today.

minesadouble

Visit site
I love National Hunt racing and while I prefer Cheltenham to Aintree I'll still be glued to the TV all afternoon.
Hoping all of the runners come back safe and sound and also hoping I won't have to block too many FB bunny huggers at the end of the day 😉

Visit site
I won't bet on it, 2 horses have already died today.

Racing hasn't started yet today.

We lost a horse in the Topham yesterday. And as I said above it was absolutely nothing to do with the fences. The horse broke his leg actually on the take off stride before the fence. The other horse lost yesterday was over the regulation chase fences not the National fences.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
They are pretty dire.
From the overhead camera you can see how much AJ moved right on the run in as well, couldn't quite understand why the whip wasn't switched by that point.
It must be warmer there than it is here today!

Bellaboo18

Visit site
They are pretty dire.
From the overhead camera you can see how much AJ moved right on the run in as well, couldn't quite understand why the whip wasn't switched by that point.
It must be warmer there than it is here today!
I thought the same (about the heat), I ran outside and stood for 5 minutes to convince myself I hadn't over rugged in no fills :/

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Wasn’t it just!

Stewards enquiry I wonder?

Can’t bear the interviews of the jockeys at the end.

The use of the whip on all 3 was questionable. Two horses straight to cooling area, that would have been by direction of vets. I cannot see the point of stuffing microphones up to jockeys as soon as the horse has dropped to a walk, surely it is more appropriate to let the handlers get the water on, undo the girths and the vets doing their job. It is not that uncommon for racehorses to wobble and keel over, I have only seen it once thankfully and it was awful to watch. Imagine the PR disaster for racing if one went down whilst Rishi and his mates were doing the inane questioning of the jockey.