It's not just buyers that are timewasters!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birker2020

Visit site
Well the horse I went to see last weekend with my partner that was about a 3 hour drive away and was told that it wouldn't be advertised for a couple of weeks has now been advertised (on the same day I went to view it). And coupled with that she's added a couple of thousand on top but failed to tell me she had advertised him or that she had added £2K to the purchase price when I viewed him that day. And we spoke at great length about the horse too. Really weird. And she'd seen my wanted ad so had contacted me.

I rode the horse in the menage and field and basically thought it was a lovely horse but there were a couple of things that had made me a bit reserved, the fact that on her social media page she'd posted back last year that she'd had a bad fall on the horse which necessitated a visit to A&E (it happens to us all I know) and also mentioned was the horses new found 'hurling itself over a jump'. So of course I was a bit wary when I went to see this horse especially as I'd not only not ridden for properly for 3 years but also was very conscious about my weight, but she rode it first and then I got on and everything was fine.

Nice horse to be fair, not worth the money she was asking but hey, most aren't at the moment. Didn't feel that well schooled compared to the one I've lost who had very nice paces and was very responsive and well schooled. Even so, I was prepared to go up to what she was asking for him minus the tack which was additional expense as I understand horses aren't cheap at the moment. This would have put me £2K over budget. I had also noticed a couple of physical things that I wasn't 100% about and my friend (who is very knowledgeable) confirmed this when I showed her the videos of the horse being ridden.

So as my partner and I had agreed to go up the following weekend my friend said they would come with us and have a look at said horse, and if the horse was okay we would then put a deposit down and get a vetting.

Then last night my friend texted me to say that they had seen him advertised on a website and they were asking an additional £2K for him!

So I'm not getting in a bidding war with a horse that is physically compromised. And bitterly dissappointed in one way but then in another way can't help wondering if I've had a lucky escape really with these physical issues but the horse was so nice in terms of temperament and was just so kind natured and lovely to ride. Its such a shame. So back to the drawing board......

Last edited:

rabatsa

Far from the madding crowd
Visit site
Did you then contact the seller to see if the new advertised price was what was now wanted, or if the price told to you initially still stands? If the former then I hope that you told her she had just lost the sale.

Birker2020

Visit site
Did you then contact the seller to see if the new advertised price was what was now wanted, or if the price told to you initially still stands? If the former then I hope that you told her she had just lost the sale.
She's had a conflab with family and trainer and seemed to think the horse was worth £15K but is now asking £12K so I am definetely out of the running. She seemed quite happy about that so I expect it was because I'd said I wanted to show the videos to my friend or she was just shallow and thought I wasn't suitable.

Birker2020

Visit site
If a buyer didn't leave a deposit at viewing it wouldn't surprise me if the seller then advertised the horse/she may just have thought you weren't a great match.
I agree in principle. But she catergorically said at least three times to both my partner and i that she was in no rush to sell, was going to get professional photos done and wasn't going to advertise for at least 2 weeks.

Yes come with your friend next week and see him again.

At 8pm I text to thank her and to say I'd spoken to my friend. She text back to say yes see you Sunday.

Then she'd had a conflab with her family and trainer and drawn up an advert with photos and stuck on an extra 2k all before bedtime!

You couldn't make it up.

SOS

Visit site
I’m a bit confused as your post is a little all over the place. So you went to view the horse, wasn’t quite sure it was for you and wanted to go back this weekend. You’ve since seen the horse advertised for more?

I can’t get angry about that I’m afraid. I’d of left a deposit and got back down again ASAP if I was keen. She’s in her right to advertise for more as people will probably haggle her down anyway.

ETA: What sort of contact have you had with her since? She may well be holding off other viewings until after yours at the weekend!

bonny

Visit site
I’m not sure you can call her a time waster, presumably you could have bought the horse at the advertised price when you saw him. I know it’s hard to make a decision like that on the spot but with the demand being what it is it seems that’s the only way to buy a horse at the moment. The prices are crazy which really doesn’t help.

Birker2020

Visit site
birker 2020. what are you looking for and roughly where are you, i am twiddling my fingers here and happy to have a look for something..
Thanks Splashgirl.

16.3hh - 17.2hh WB or WB X ID aged between 6 and 10. Confidence giver type capable of jumping 2ft 6/2ft 9, bit of dressage, fun rides, etc must be ok to hack out on its own, no vices, good to shoe, load, clip, etc.

No greys or coloured due to extra workload involved.

Must be open to vet.

I don't want anything smaller than 16.3hh for certain and I don't want a TB as it has to be a weight carrier so MW really.

Thanks, Splashgirl. You have your work cut out! Whatever is/has been on Horsequest is not suitable or I've made enquiries about or has been sold! Same for H&H.

Kaylum

Visit site
We always video and leave it there before we decide anything. So many times we have gone nope it's not right worth £500 as it will cost to investigate so if it didn't feel right walk away.

Birker2020

Visit site
I’m not sure you can call her a time waster, presumably you could have bought the horse at the advertised price when you saw him. I know it’s hard to make a decision like that on the spot but with the demand being what it is it seems that’s the only way to buy a horse at the moment. The prices are crazy which really doesn’t help.
I can't go into details as the horse is for sale but it had a number of physical issues that i wanted my friend to see first hand - she's a physio. She would then advise me either to run the other way or go ahead and get it vetted.

That's why i didn't want to leave a deposit. But because the seller said so many times she wasn't advertising it yet i believed her and said to come up the following weekend as there was no rush as she wasn't advertising it.

So why say that when she'd already made uo her mind she was going to ask an extra 2k??

Between our text conversation at 8pm that night and midnight she'd spoken to parents/trainer, written out a full ad, found photos and put it on the site.

She knew all along we were wasting our time. Maybe she wanted to see if it would end up hurling me through the air too lol

Birker2020

Visit site
We always video and leave it there before we decide anything. So many times we have gone nope it's not right worth £500 as it will cost to investigate so if it didn't feel right walk away.
Yes i think you are right. Its not a good idea to make a decision unless you have time to reflect first.

Last edited:

Birker2020

Visit site

Thanks Splashgirl.

16.3hh - 17.2hh WB or WB X ID aged between 6 and 10. Confidence giver type capable of jumping 2ft 6/2ft 9, bit of dressage, fun rides, etc must be ok to hack out on its own, no vices, good to shoe, load, clip, etc.

No greys or coloured due to extra workload involved.

Must be open to vet.

I don't want anything smaller than 16.3hh for certain and I don't want a TB as it has to be a weight carrier so MW really.

Thanks, Splashgirl. You have your work cut out! Whatever is/has been on Horsequest is not suitable or I've made enquiries about or has been sold! Same for H&H.

Birker2020

Visit site
Your not reading my post. There was no reason to make a decision on the spot. She wasn't going to advertise him for two weeks. That's what she told me.

Birker2020

Visit site
Not sure I would call that timewasting tbh. It doesn't sound like you're that keen, it's a long way to go for a second viewing if you had several reservations on the first one.
Although I'd seen a couple of the issues when I'd viewed it, it wasn't until after speaking with my friend that i realised that what i had seen were likely to be problematic. I guess with seeing this and reading what i did about the horse on social media i should have just walked away but i was keen for my friends advice.

Flyermc

Visit site
i wonder if the advertised 15k so theres 'movement' in the final sale price and cost of advertising. You also mentioned that the tack was on top of the price mentioned to you, did the advert price include any tack?

As for not wanting to advertise for 2 weeks, really anything could have changed in the sellers life/need to sell and it sounds like you was still invited to re-look at the horse, it hasnt sold?

Birker2020

Visit site
Why is there a random add put on here if it doesn't relate? Makes it seem like the add is for the horse in question?
Read post 8 that Splasgirl wrote. She offered to have a look for a horse for me to view as she was bored. That was one of many she's sent me (the others she PM'D me). Its nothing to do with that horse its not even the same price, 4.5K difference and about 300 miles away from the one I'm talking about.! ?

Birker2020

Visit site
i wonder if the advertised 15k so theres 'movement' in the final sale price and cost of advertising. You also mentioned that the tack was on top of the price mentioned to you, did the advert price include any tack?

As for not wanting to advertise for 2 weeks, really anything could have changed in the sellers life/need to sell and it sounds like you was still invited to re-look at the horse, it hasnt sold?
Anything could have changed in the sellers life between 8pm when she confirmed our viewing for the following Sunday and midnight four hours later? Seriously???

Anyway not worth bothering about now. I just hope the next person who tries the horse sees what we saw. It's very much buyer beware at the moment.

stormox

Visit site
I think if you want a horse you need to decide there and then, and put a deposit down subject to vet.
I dont think the seller was 'timewasting' - she replied to your advert as that is what she's prepared to sell for, but subsequently on her advert put the higher price as people always try to haggle.
As you didnt put a deposit down, or even say you were going to buy it I'm not surprised she put him up for sale.

GGponies

New User
Visit site
No its not. But seriously have you read the ad? Would you try a horse that dips it back when you get on? I wouldn't even go there.
Could you delete my advert please.
I have been contacted by numerous people to tell me my horse is being slated on horse hound forum.
He's a lovely boy, yes cold backed but professional riders aren't to bothered as long as clean vetting and happy. Thanks in advance!

honetpot

Visit site
I sold a horse cheap last spring, he was sold from a couple of paddock photos which I had posted to a FB friend, he wasn't actually for sale and probably if I had done photo's and a video he would have been £2.5k more. I just wasn't well enough to be bothered and the person who bought him paid on collection. Sometimes you take less just for a straight forward sale, two visits, vetting and time to think is great for the buyer, but as a seller sometimes you just want it over and done with. I thought the person I was selling to was right for the horse, I have turned down buyers wanting to pay asking price, if I have thought they were not suitable.
I never take deposits, I never hold, if you do not organise a vetting in a week I assume you have other fish to fry.

Status
Not open for further replies.