It's not just buyers that are timewasters!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birker2020

Visit site
This is a good point. OP, how do you know the seller is not fully intending to honour her agreement with you, subject to your 2nd viewing with physio friend and vet
Because i text her on tuesday night to ask why he'd been increased in price - ive already said all this on my reply 4 and reply 6.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
For what must be the tenth time i wasn't going to offer any money UNTIL the physio had seen him . I was already 2K over budget but would have paid that if the physio had said to go ahead and have him vetted and he passed. However as she is now asking 12K for him there is no point is going to visit him as i cant afford him.

I think you are allowing the stress of it to cloud your thought process.

As I understand it, the seller is still expecting you at the weekend for a second viewing, at the original price, that you say you would be prepared to pay f the horse is right. Being as you wouldn't want the horse if it was not right (not even at half the price, if I recollect), then you are good to go.

Especially as she contacted you as a result of a wanted advert.

Red-1

Visit site
Because i text her on tuesday night to ask why he'd been increased in price - ive already said all this on my original post.

But the original post says that your friend (presumably the physio) had texted you to tell you about the advert, not that you had texted the seller? So the seller doesn't know you know about any price increase (that may well just be wiggle room for negotiation).

I'm Dun

Visit site
For what must be the tenth time i wasn't going to offer any money UNTIL the physio had seen him . I was already 2K over budget but would have paid that if the physio had said to go ahead and have him vetted and he passed. However as she is now asking 12K for him there is no point is going to visit him as i cant afford him.

But shes not asking you 12k for him unless I've also missed something and tbh I might have. This is a pretty weird post with changing names and other peoples horses and all sorts.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Because i text her on tuesday night to ask why he'd been increased in price - ive already said all this on my original post.

I read your original post again before replying as I know it's frustrating when people misquote, misinterpret, misread etc. But you don't say that. You don't mention any contact with the seller after your first viewing. So it sounds like the seller has no idea you know the horse is now on a website with an extra 2k added or that you are no longer planning to view.

If she has made contact to confirm the new price and refuse the orihginally agreed offer, then I am sorry she has wasted your time. If she hasn't, I'd not make any assumptions at this stage. She might still be expecting you to view and thinks you have a sale agreed in principle subject to your friend being satisfied and a vetting. The ad could just be her Plan B. So you might not ne back at Square 1 at all.

I'm Dun

Visit site
post 4
She's had a conflab with family and trainer and seemed to think the horse was worth £15K but is now asking £12K so I am definetely out of the running. She seemed quite happy about that so I expect it was because I'd said I wanted to show the videos to my friend or she was just shallow and thought I wasn't suitable.

post 6
I agree in principle. But she catergorically said at least three times to both my partner and i that she was in no rush to sell, was going to get professional photos done and wasn't going to advertise for at least 2 weeks.

Yes come with your friend next week and see him again.

At 8pm I text to thank her and to say I'd spoken to my friend. She text back to say yes see you Sunday.

Then she'd had a conflab with her family and trainer and drawn up an advert with photos and stuck on an extra 2k all before bedtime!

You couldn't make it up.

Because i text her on tuesday night to ask why he'd been increased in price - ive already said all this on my reply 4 and reply 6.

You didnt. Which is why no one can work out whats going on

Ambers Echo

Visit site
ETA I am honestly not trying yo be argumentative. It just sounds like this horse could be available for you after all. Which is good news, no?

Leandy

Visit site
I'm even more confused! If you are really interested in this horse you don't seem to be trying very hard to buy him. You seem to be making a lot of assumptions having just seen an advert, rather than actually talking to the seller. I do agree that sellers can be timewasters as well as buyers but I'm really not seeing it this time. Just reconfirm the second viewing if that is what you want to do. All prices are always negotiable!

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I am not sure why you are directing this at me but I suggest you read the whole thread properly.

Splash girl offered to look for a horse for me on post 8.

On post 10 I said thank you and told Splash girl what I was looking for.

On post 13 I said I couldn’t go into details about the horse I went to view as its not fair to the owner

On post 17 Splash girl told me about the horse that we are arguing about belonging to GG ponies

On post 19 I replied I would PM her as it wasn’t fair to comment on the horse (belonging to GG ponies)

On post 21 and post 23 people thought that the link to the horse that Splash girl told me about on post 17 was the horse I’d gone to view (it was a totally separate horse).

On post 24 I said it wasn’t the same horse and this horse had certain ‘characteristics’ I wasn’t interested in shall we say? I did mention that it dipped its back.

I reiterated it wasn’t the same horse on post 26 that I'd gone to view.

GG Ponies admitted her horse was cold backed on post 29 and asked me to delete my comments from post 24 which I did although in asking me to do that she had also included my quote saying 'it dipped its back'. And I couldn't delete that. View attachment 75415
A number of people then talked about not wanting to buy a cold backed horse.

Another poster intimated that she had seen a lot of lame horses recently.

Frumpoon on post 35 told GG ponies her horse was lame

Post 45 I also reiterated that I didn’t want to say anything about the cold backed one as it is now being referred to (for some reason my phone has returned me to Hopscotch Bandit I have no idea why as its switched me back to Birker 2020 again).

So I hope that resolves the issue so please stop trying to be so argumentative and quarrelsome in the hope that I might 'bite' because I really couldn't give a toss what you think. If you think that what I said is worse that what Frumpoon said (and you are not challenging her because she'd tell you where to stick it) then you are being ridiculous.

There is constantly remarks about horses for sale on this forum, so why are you determined to sound me out for this???

Crikey, I wouldn’t sell you a horse either ?

FestiveFuzz

Visit site

I understand that but you’ve mentioned several times that you think he’s unsound/physically compromised so it sounds like whatever you saw at the viewing was pretty apparent/serious. I’m not sure what the physio is likely to glean that couldn’t have been assessed via a video, unless the seller has agreed to allow your physio to assess him in person? Have you actually asked the seller whether the original price still stands for you or are you assuming she now won’t take less that £12k because of the advert?

Birker2020

Visit site
I understand that but you’ve mentioned several times that you think he’s unsound/physically compromised so it sounds like whatever you saw at the viewing was pretty apparent/serious. I’m not sure what the physio is likely to glean that couldn’t have been assessed via a video, unless the seller has agreed to allow your physio to assess him in person? Have you actually asked the seller whether the original price still stands for you or are you assuming she now won’t take less that £12k because of the advert?
I am assuming that the issues with the horse which i can't/will not be drawn into on here are such that it is possible that if the horse has an injury causing tight muscles and pain in those muscles and contract and therefore cause visible signs that we saw on viewing and subsequently on video . This kind of thing may not be a deal breaker and could possibly be addressed by a physio. The seller was fully aware i was showing the videos to my friend who was a vet physio as i mentioned this at least twice during the viewing. She also knew (as i text her on Sunday night to thank her for her hospitality and to firm up plans for the following sunday) that my physio friend was coming with me the following sunday and she agreed with that, by reply.

She made it clear that the horses qualities make him worth at least 15k although she is only asking 12k and wished me luck finding something.

Birker2020

Visit site
Sounds like it’s time to chalk it up to one of those things and move on.
For sure. I have a feeling she will withdraw him from the market and try and get the issues we saw with him resolved.

You'd have to be completely blind not to see one of the things and that alone should raise a red flag and warrant further investigation.

But above all, my greatest wish is that he finds a happy home. I just clicked with him. I guess he reminded me a bit of Bailey in the sense he was a softy and a real kind soul. I hope that whoever buys him loves him and treats him with the respect he deserves and he doesn't end up being passed from pillar to post.

I don't think I'm quite emotionally ready for all this tbh
I'm finding the loss of my horse so hard to bear. I've always been a realist and never let heart rule head but with that horse i really fell for him which makes it so much harder in a way although i know deep down its probably worked out for the best.

I'd gladly sacrifice the chance to ever ride again if i could have B back to love. I don't feel i will ever get over losing my best mate. It's all so raw and i don't feel as anyone fully understands how I'm feeling right now.

Last edited:

MuddyMonster

Visit site
If you really fell for the horse, I'd make contact with the owner to confirm Sunday's plan. From what I've read, the owner seems pretty reasonable so there would be no reason to assume anything has changed.

I would also be really honest with yourself if you're ready to be looking at horses, going on your last post.

It's a stressful experience at the best of times and if you're viewing horses with more of a sense of sadness at the loss for your old horse and not really feeling it (which I do complety understand) it's already more emotional before the usual run of the mill horse buying stesses appear.

Would you be better ring fencing the pony fund but having some lessons or a share until you feel more able to look objectively?

Last edited:

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I'm finding the loss of my horse so hard to bear. I've always been a realist and never let heart rule head but with that horse i really fell for him which makes it so much harder in a way although i know deep down its probably worked out for the best.

I did wonder if it was too quick for you to cope with, it's a bit of a catch 22 as you have a hole in your life/emotionally but immediately filling it might not necessarily be the best thing, do what suits you. Mum would have absolutely needed a few months but the need for company forced the issue.

onemoretime

Visit site
For sure. I have a feeling she will withdraw him from the market and try and get the issues we saw with him resolved.

You'd have to be completely blind not to see one of the things and that alone should raise a red flag and warrant further investigation.

But above all, my greatest wish is that he finds a happy home. I just clicked with him. I guess he reminded me a bit of Bailey in the sense he was a softy and a real kind soul. I hope that whoever buys him loves him and treats him with the respect he deserves and he doesn't end up being passed from pillar to post.

I'd gladly sacrifice the chance to ever ride again if i could have B back to love. I don't feel i will ever get over losing my best mate. It's all so raw and i don't feel as anyone fully understands how I'm feeling right now.

I understand just how you feel. I bought a horse in 2012 and when I got him home started to have problems with him. He was difficult to mount and had me off a couple of time. To cut a long story short the dealer had drugged him up to the eye balls to hide a very serious back injury from a rotational fall. I had had him fully 5 stage vetted. Fortunately my husband is a lawyer and got straight on to her and told her to arrange to have him picked up and give us a full refund. This happened and sadly the poor horse who was a very sweet soul was picked up and on the boat that night to Ireland to the Goresbridge sale. A few months later I bought a lovely connie x TB from a friend of mine, this horse was super, he moved like a warmblood but had the temperament of a connermara pony, a bit cheeky but easily manageable. We got him going, he was only 4 coming 5 but schooled well and was coming on nicely. The following year my husband and I were away in Italy when we got a phone call to say that Marley was very ill. My friends took him to the clinic where he stayed for 4 weeks. It turned out he had E coli poisoning. They were sure he had eaten something sharp we think it was the hawthorn, it had pierced his gut wall and let his own E coli from his gut into the blood stream. The poor horse had enteritis, colitis and peritonitis. It destroyed his gut and in the end we had to have him PTS. We had a10.5k vet bill. It broke my heart, its bad enough when they are old and you have to have them PTS but when they are young! In over 60 years owning horses I have never had anything so soul destroying so I know exactly what you are going through and Im sure many others on here also know. I hope you find a lovely horse to help you enjoy your life again.

Red-1

Visit site
I am assuming that the issues with the horse which i can't/will not be drawn into on here are such that it is possible that if the horse has an injury causing tight muscles and pain in those muscles and contract and therefore cause visible signs that we saw on viewing and subsequently on video . This kind of thing may not be a deal breaker and could possibly be addressed by a physio. The seller was fully aware i was showing the videos to my friend who was a vet physio as i mentioned this at least twice during the viewing. She also knew (as i text her on Sunday night to thank her for her hospitality and to firm up plans for the following sunday) that my physio friend was coming with me the following sunday and she agreed with that, by reply.

She made it clear that the horses qualities make him worth at least 15k although she is only asking 12k and wished me luck finding something.

If you firmed up plans for Sunday, I would call and cancel. Otherwise, she will be expecting you, won't she? Then we could have another thread on here about people not turning up for viewings.

She has said that he is worth 15, bt will accept 12 from you. So, if you wanted, you could go to the appointment and make the decision you planned on to start with?

Red-1

Visit site

Reading this thread, I would agree that this may be too early.

My situation was different, in that it was my mum that I lost, after a torrid 2 years. I realised that I couldn't handle pressure, and my sporty horse was not the right fit at that time. So, I sold her and bought one that was not pressure. I bought one that was well in anyone's budget, where he was not even defo going to make a ride horse, and just set about having a horse to love and play with. Riding is a bonus, but was not a sure thing or expected, when I got him.

This year, at times I have felt able to go look, so I have. If I had found one at those viewings, I would have bought.

Other times, the grief runs strongly, and I don't look. But, because I have no pressure cob at home, there is no stress. Have you considered getting something just to keep? Even if it is just while you find your balance?

paddi22

Visit site
I can't see what the buyer did wrong? You went to see the horse at an arranged price and decided for your own (valid) reasons not to buy outright, or put a deposit down to take the horse off the market. As far as the owner is concerned I don't see why she can't advertise as she wishes, or price however she likes after that? She is perfectly entitled to do what she chooses with her horse when she wants. Unless she has broken an agreed deal with you at some stage then I can't see what she has done wrong?

It's so tough dealing with the loss of a horse and replacing it. People DO understand how you are feeling, I assume most nearly everyone here has lost a much loved horse at some stage and it is a horrible process to deal with the grief and moving on. And horse buying is stressful at the best of times. But the process seems to be getting overcomplicated in your head when it's simple enough. You have no control over the seller or the horse and it's a waste of energy picking at the seller's behaviour, who said what to them, what they do or imagining what happens to the horse in future. All you can do is go to see it and either walk away, agree to hold for a vetting if seller agrees or put a deposit down to hold/buy. That's all that is worth putting energy on. Not what the owners friends are telling her or what second guessing she thinks of you, that's not worth the energy.

Last edited:

SOS

Visit site
Is hopscotch bandit and Birker2020 the same person? If they are not and you have both lost Baileys I’m sorry to hear that.

I stand by my opinion on my original post that the seller hasn’t done much wrong. A physio shouldn’t be diagnosing a horse or even treating/touching it unless it’s under veterinary care. If you were concerned about physical issues I’d walk away or get a thorough vetting.

Reactions: TPO

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I don't feel i will ever get over losing my best mate. It's all so raw and i don't feel as anyone fully understands how I'm feeling right now.

Slightly different circumstances but I was where you are at the end of last year. I struggled as I desperately wanted another ridden horse but very much have a type so everything reminded me of my old boy. In the end lockdown stopped me doing anything silly which gave me a chance to really think about what I wanted/was looking for in my new horse whilst giving me some distance to come to terms with everything so I was in a better headspace by the time I came to actually buy.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Although I'd seen a couple of the issues when I'd viewed it, it wasn't until after speaking with my friend that i realised that what i had seen were likely to be problematic. I guess with seeing this and reading what i did about the horse on social media i should have just walked away but i was keen for my friends advice.

IN that case it sounds as if you have had a lucky escape and the owner will be very lucky to get anywhere near what she is asking for the horse.

Frumpoon

Visit site
Thank you. Someone that gets what I am saying.

There's a fair number of people on this thread being wilfully obtuse and taking the opportunity to be spiteful and put the boot in

I think I must be reading a completely different thread because I think its perfectly obvious and clear what you meant

Do what I do and use the Ignore button...life is so much more peaceful as a result

teacups

Visit site
If you firmed up plans for Sunday, I would call and cancel. Otherwise, she will be expecting you, won't she? Then we could have another thread on here about people not turning up for viewings.

She has said that he is worth 15, bt will accept 12 from you. So, if you wanted, you could go to the appointment and make the decision you planned on to start with?

If I have read it right: the seller has upped the price from £10K (when OP went to view) to £12K (in the advert), but has also said that s/he thinks horse is worth £15K.

In seller's mind the horse which was worth £10K is now worth £15K. If you view it like that £12K is indeed a bargain.

So the only basis for a second viewing is now at the increased price.

If you view it from OP point of view, the price has suddenly increased by £2K for a horse they really clicked with but had slight worries about in terms of health issues - 'could it be solved by physio or is it something more serious' type worry.

I think I would be put out too, plus it's possible the seller is just trying to add a bit of pressure. Either that or seller has been told by someone else that the horse market is bonkers and s/he should ask for much more money.

I might not have read it right!
In addition to potential misreading, the number of replies on this thread by people who have not bothered reading very many of the posts is impressive (that's not aimed at you btw - you seem to be the thorough sort, hence my reply). I suppose there are so many confusing replies now that it's not difficult - and I might be one of them, who knows. But to me it seemed fairly clear..

Status
Not open for further replies.