It's not just buyers that are timewasters!

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm Dun

Visit site
I sold a horse cheap last spring, he was sold from a couple of paddock photos which I had posted to a FB friend, he wasn't actually for sale and probably if I had done photo's and a video he would have been £2.5k more. I just wasn't well enough to be bothered and the person who bought him paid on collection. Sometimes you take less just for a straight forward sale, two visits, vetting and time to think is great for the buyer, but as a seller sometimes you just want it over and done with. I thought the person I was selling to was right for the horse, I have turned down buyers wanting to pay asking price, if I have thought they were not suitable.
I never take deposits, I never hold, if you do not organise a vetting in a week I assume you have other fish to fry.

I'd always sell a bit cheaper to someone who could come and buy quickly, so long as they were suitable. Pretty sure I wouldnt be selling at a reduced price for multiple visits a week apart esp when the friend gets involved. The friend is always trouble in my experience. It doesnt matter who they are, they never bring anything positive to the table.

I suspect the buyer spoke to someone who told her the horse was far too cheap and to get it advertised on the open market asap while the market is so strong. When I initially thought about selling mine she'd have been 25% cheaper, until I looked at other ads and realised what horses were selling for.

Birker2020

Visit site
Could you delete my advert please.
I have been contacted by numerous people to tell me my horse is being slated on horse hound forum.
He's a lovely boy, yes cold backed but professional riders aren't to bothered as long as clean vetting and happy. Thanks in advance!
Hardly slating your horse! Was just quoting what you'd written in your advert and drawing my own conclusions as everyone else would. Otherwise i would have seen him. I've edited my comment but as you've quoted me there wasn't much point was there?? and as you've admitted in both your advert and your reply about his 'issues' I don't think what I've said is remotely incorrect, do you????

Last edited:

Frumpoon

Visit site
Could you delete my advert please.
I have been contacted by numerous people to tell me my horse is being slated on horse hound forum.
He's a lovely boy, yes cold backed but professional riders aren't to bothered as long as clean vetting and happy. Thanks in advance!

If that's your horse in the video he's lame right hind

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I don't think the sellers are time wasters at all. They simply realised, probably as a result of your visit, that they did definitely want to sell now, and having taken advice, that the horse was under priced.

I dare say if you had bought him on first visit, he would be yours.

People are allowed to make decisions, no one would hold a horse for a week while life goes on.

Besides, the new price may include negotiation room, so he may still be the same price.

I don't think it is time wasting even if someone decides they don't want to sell to you once they have seen you ride. I have done this a couple of times, even when people have offered the full asking price.

Not like the one I went to see, where he went up 3K in the 2 hours it took me to drive there! She texted me when I was 3/4 of the way down the A1. Said there was no negotiation. Waste of time and petrol!

Happily, the horse was already rather expensive, and it ended up dropping back to the original price some weeks later. At the time, I would most likely have simply bought the horse.

Or one when I have driven 4 hours to see one where it was declared no sarcoids, yet there was a very obvious one there and active on arrival. 8 hours travel! With a pro too. In fact there have been several secret sarcoids, some of which the owner may not have known about, some they will have.

teacups

Visit site
I must be the only one who thinks it is a bit off.

You tell a viewer who asks if it is ok to have a second viewing the next weekend, that that is fine - as you have no plans to advertise the horse yet and are not in any rush…
…only to then advertise the horse at a much higher price almost immediately, without letting the viewer know.

If the viewer had known they needed to decide there and then they may have made different decisions. Their time has been wasted as the price has changed midway during the process.
And if you change your mind, at least have the courtesy to let the buyer know.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
I'd never behave that way as a seller. If I told a buyer I would hold the horse for the next viewing I'd either honour that, or contact them and say that on reflection or after advice I realise the horse in underpriced and I am not prepared to do that anymore. And that the price was going up. I'd not string someone along.

On the other hand, as a buyer I assume I have zero rights and never take anything for granted until the cash is handed over. Even a deposit can be returned if a better offer comes along. We were the first to view Dolly and I was so desperate not to lose the sale that I offered asking price and booked the vetting while still on the yard! I knew that until she was loaded and on her way to us, I could lose the sale anytime.

Visit site
I’ll be selling my boy in the near future and these horse buying threads at the moment are filling me with dread. I really can’t be doing with the feeding frenzy in the horse market - it’s worse than the housing market back when it went crackers in the mid-90’s.

No personal reflection on you, OP - it sounds like your seller has chopped & changed (which is their prerogative, it’s a seller’s market) but that’s caused you wasted time, expense and stress. I hope you find your horse soon.

Word of mouth only for mine. No social media, and only buyers I can get a personal recommendation for. If it takes a year to find the right buyer then I’m not fussed - he’s a little cracker and I’ll enjoy him myself in the meantime.

Birker2020

Visit site
I must be the only one who thinks it is a bit off.

You tell a viewer who asks if it is ok to have a second viewing the next weekend, that that is fine - as you have no plans to advertise the horse yet and are not in any rush…
…only to then advertise the horse at a much higher price almost immediately, without letting the viewer know.

If the viewer had known they needed to decide there and then they may have made different decisions. Their time has been wasted as the price has changed midway during the process.
And if you change your mind, at least have the courtesy to let the buyer know.
Thank you. Someone that gets what I am saying.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
A general and nonspecific comment. I personally wouldn't want to own a cold backed horse. While I absolutely commend honest sellers for mentioning horses that dip/lift/other when mounted, it's not something that I am willing to take on in a ridden horse.

I'm Dun

Visit site
A general and nonspecific comment. I personally wouldn't want to own a cold backed horse. While I absolutely commend honest sellers for mentioning horses that dip/lift/other when mounted, it's not something that I am willing to take on in a ridden horse.

Thats why its in the ad. That way no ones time is wasted. I'm sure it wouldn't be for lots of people, I know lots that wouldn't think twice if everything else was right.

TPO

Visit site
Thats why its in the ad. That way no ones time is wasted. I'm sure it wouldn't be for lots of people, I know lots that wouldn't think twice if everything else was right.

I bought a "cold backed" horse. She was sold by a very reputable HHOer who was completely honest.

Horse passed a 5 stage vetting and the vet gave me very honest feedback (would have failed the horse in her very sharp behaviour if I hadnt been fully aware of what I was taking on).

The mare didn't want for anything when with her breeder/trainer and didnt with me either. Full works of vet/various therapists/saddle fitting.

It would have been different if it were new behaviour or if she had never seen a vet and been investigated etc. It was ultimately one of her "quirks".

I havent read the advert for this horse but the owner has obviously made all potential purchasers aware of the issue. People can decide for themselves if it is something that they are willing to pursue as a purchase or not. No need for yet another HHO pile on of a random persons horse.

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
I have a feeling this thread is going to turn incredibly nasty, I think people should be careful what they say on a forum about other people's horses.
That is why i didn't want to say anything about the cold backed one as it is now being referred to and haven't gone into details about the one i went to view who i fell in love with and feeling gutted about even though it seems he may not have got through a vetting. Even my partner loved him, he was so cuddly and although i usually let head rule heart i have to say my heart strings were seriously pulled with this lad. But it wasn't to be. I just miss my Bailey so very, very much and finding it all incredibly difficult at the moment.

Leandy

Visit site
I'm a bit confused. You cannot complain that a seller has gone ahead with advertising the horse you went to see when you say yourself you don't know if you want it. The seller can sell it to whoever they want to and they have not at any time indicated that that cannot be you (although they would be perfectly within their rights to say that they do not think you are a suitable buyer). Nothing is preventing you from discussing with the seller and arranging a second viewing and then if you want to buy the horse making an offer at the original price. You could even ask them to give you first refusal at that time although of course they don't have to. If someone else beats you to it and buys the horse before you do then that is life I'm afraid and could happen whether or not the horse has been advertised. You cannnot expect a seller to keep a horse off the market just for you when you have neither said you want it nor paid a deposit or purchase price.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
That is why i didn't want to say anything about the cold backed one as it is now being referred to and haven't gone into details about the one i went to view who i fell in love with and feeling gutted about even though it seems he may not have got through a vetting. Even my partner loved him, he was so cuddly and although i usually let head rule heart i have to say my heart strings were seriously pulled with this lad. But it wasn't to be. I just miss my Bailey so very, very much and finding it all incredibly difficult at the moment.

I think it is hugely inappropriate that there is any discussion on this thread about a horse that has nothing to do with the actual topic. I'm surprised the owner was as polite as they were in asking for the ad to be removed from here. I'm also surprised Admin didn't pull the thread or delete more of the comments.

Regarding the actual topic of conversation, there are many reasons why a seller may decide they don't want to sell to a particular person, or that they may have underpriced the horse, or that they do want to put it out there on the open market - they may now have overpriced it and may come to regret the decision, but hey.

Btw, you may want to decide which identity you are posting under, for continuity ...

Birker2020

Visit site
I think it is hugely inappropriate that there is any discussion on this thread about a horse that has nothing to do with the actual topic. I'm surprised the owner was as polite as they were in asking for the ad to be removed from here. I'm also surprised Admin didn't pull the thread or delete more of the comments.

Regarding the actual topic of conversation, there are many reasons why a seller may decide they don't want to sell to a particular person, or that they may have underpriced the horse, or that they do want to put it out there on the open market - they may now have overpriced it and may come to regret the decision, but hey.

Btw, you may want to decide which identity you are posting under, for continuity ...
I am not sure why you are directing this at me but I suggest you read the whole thread properly.

Splash girl offered to look for a horse for me on post 8.

On post 10 I said thank you and told Splash girl what I was looking for.

On post 13 I said I couldn’t go into details about the horse I went to view as its not fair to the owner

On post 17 Splash girl told me about the horse that we are arguing about belonging to GG ponies

On post 19 I replied I would PM her as it wasn’t fair to comment on the horse (belonging to GG ponies)

On post 21 and post 23 people thought that the link to the horse that Splash girl told me about on post 17 was the horse I’d gone to view (it was a totally separate horse).

On post 24 I said it wasn’t the same horse and this horse had certain ‘characteristics’ I wasn’t interested in shall we say? I did mention that it dipped its back.

I reiterated it wasn’t the same horse on post 26 that I'd gone to view.

GG Ponies admitted her horse was cold backed on post 29 and asked me to delete my comments from post 24 which I did although in asking me to do that she had also included my quote saying 'it dipped its back'. And I couldn't delete that. 1625748458194.png
A number of people then talked about not wanting to buy a cold backed horse.

Another poster intimated that she had seen a lot of lame horses recently.

Frumpoon on post 35 told GG ponies her horse was lame

Post 45 I also reiterated that I didn’t want to say anything about the cold backed one as it is now being referred to (for some reason my phone has returned me to Hopscotch Bandit I have no idea why as its switched me back to Birker 2020 again).

So I hope that resolves the issue so please stop trying to be so argumentative and quarrelsome in the hope that I might 'bite' because I really couldn't give a toss what you think. If you think that what I said is worse that what Frumpoon said (and you are not challenging her because she'd tell you where to stick it) then you are being ridiculous.

There is constantly remarks about horses for sale on this forum, so why are you determined to sound me out for this???

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Judging by your OP it very much sounds like this horse wasn’t the one for you, and I suspect the seller possibly picked up on that at the viewing, so whilst I get it’s annoying for the goalposts to change after viewing them as others have said there’s really nothing to stop you offering the original asking price for an easy sale if in fact you do believe this horse is the one for you.

We’re currently looking for similar to you albeit more on the ID side of things and older as it’s for my novice husband. I know how tough it is to find such a thing in the current market (and that’s without restricting by colour) so you do have my sympathy, but I do think you have to take these things on the chin and be prepared to act fast if you do find one you click with and even then that’s no guarantee you’ll get them. We found one the other day that ticks every box, contacted the owner within moments of the ad going live and arranged a viewing for the weekend, agreed they’d send over their address and then radio silence with no reply to messages. He was way below budget so we’d have happily paid over what they were asking if he did fit the bill, but we’ll never know now. I can only imagine he’s sold elsewhere in the meantime but it would have been polite of them to say so.

Birker2020

Visit site
have said there’s really nothing to stop you offering the original asking price for an easy sale if in fact you do believe this horse is the one for you.

Ahh thanks but I wouldn't offer the original sale price or even half the sale price for a horse that I believe is physically compromised and that I want my physio to see because there are, what I believe, possible physical issues with it. Due diligence and all that.

Had my physio had chance to see it and it had been suitable then I would have given her a deposit subject to vetting, got it vetted the next day or so and brought it home before the end of the week.

Essentially she said she wasn't advertising it for a fortnight and therefore I did not have to gamble by putting a deposit down and getting it vetted and risk losing £400 if it failed.

And why on earth would she accept 10K when she has gone to the trouble the same day (either before or after I visited) to put it on a sales site for an extra £2K?

Asha

Visit site
And why on earth would she accept 10K when she has gone to the trouble the same day (either before or after I visited) to put it on a sales site for an extra £2K?

Shes probably done the usual thing, price higher to have some wriggle room for negotiation. I honestly cant see that the owner has done anything wrong. You viewed, you didnt commit, shes then decided to advertise. her horse her choice.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
On the price front I do think these things are often negotiable if the right person comes along. For example my super wonderful fancy pants dressage horse was originally advertised for a lot more than we could ever afford. His owner was very specific about the kind of home they wanted for him and we were very fortunate that was exactly what we were offering so we met in the middle and it’s worked out great as he’s spoilt rotten and has a home for life here and I’ve got my dream horse at a price I could afford (and the added bonus of a trainer who knows him inside out)

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Ahh thanks but I wouldn't offer the original sale price or even half the sale price for a horse that I believe is physically compromised and that I want my physio to see because there are, what I believe, possible physical issues with it. Due diligence and all that.

Had my physio had chance to see it and it had been suitable then I would have given her a deposit subject to vetting, got it vetted the next day or so and brought it home before the end of the week.

Essentially she said she wasn't advertising it for a fortnight and therefore I did not have to gamble by putting a deposit down and getting it vetted and risk losing £400 if it failed.

I am confused. Has it sold or something, because if not, your friend, who is a physio, could still go to view with you at the weekend? Have I missed something? And if it is suitable, you could offer the original price, seeing as the owner hasn't informed you that the price, to you, has changed, so, as far as she is aware, you haven't seen a revised price on an advert?

Although, if I were the owner and I saw this, the horse would not be available to you now as I would

1. Be incredibly upset that I was called a time waster.
2. Not be convinced that you actually wanted the horse.
3. Be wary that you had declared, "Ahh thanks but I wouldn't offer the original sale price or even half the sale price for a horse that I believe is physically compromised and that I want my physio to see because there are, what I believe, possible physical issues with it."

It just wouldn't be a sale that I would get into.

When I have sold a horse it is to someone who grins like a Cheshire Cat and can't wait to organise a vetting etc. If they really like the horse, there is a better chance of it all working out, IME.

Last edited:

Birker2020

Visit site
This is extremely inappropriate and completely out of line posting a thread like this. I don’t now the owner but it not fair to slate her and accusing her horse of having physical issues when it doesn’t.
How do you know it doesn't have issues?. I havent mentioned the horse, the name of the horse, the breed, the colour, her name, where in the country it is, whatsite its been advertised on, its age or even what i believe is wrong with it so how do you make that out?

Its blantantly obvious hence why physio was going to look.

If you bother to read the thread you will see on more than one ocassion i put that i didnt want to say anymore as it wasn't fair on the horse or owner.

Last edited:

Birker2020

Visit site
I am confused. Has it sold or something, because if not, your friend who is a physio could still go to view with you at the weekend? Have I missed something? And if it is suitable, you could offer the original price, seeing as the owner hasn't informed you that the price to you has changed, so, as far as she is aware, you haven't seen a revised price on an advert?

Although, if I were the owner and I saw this, the horse would not be available to you now as I would

3. Be wary that you had declared, "Ahh thanks but I wouldn't offer the original sale price or even half the sale price for a horse that I believe is physically compromised and that I want my physio to see because there are, what I believe, possible physical issues with it."

When I have sold a horse it is to someone who grins like a Cheshire Cat and can't wait to organise a vetting etc. If they really like the horse, there is a better chance of it all working out, IME.
Yes you have missed something, quite a lot really bit never mind, its like pulling teeth. Don't worry about it. I'm literally too tired to discuss it any further.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site

But if he is as you believe physically compromised why does it matter the seller has now advertised him? You’ve said yourself you wouldn’t be willing to offer even half the sale price so it doesn’t sound like you’re serious about buying him whether he was £2k less than his advert or not.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
I am confused. Has it sold or something, because if not, your friend, who is a physio, could still go to view with you at the weekend? Have I missed something? And if it is suitable, you could offer the original price, seeing as the owner hasn't informed you that the price to you has changed, so, as far as she is aware, you haven't seen a revised price on an advert?

This is a good point. OP, how do you know the seller is not fully intending to honour her agreement with you, subject to your 2nd viewing with physio friend and vet checks? She may have realised, after biting the bullet and going ahead with a viewing, that there is no point in faffing about and to crack on with getting tghe horse on the market. I took months to decide to put Toby up for sale, but once I had, I wanted it sorted asap. She may have put the ad up, adding 2k on for wiggle room knowing that her 'accept it' price was the one she agreed with you, and plans to book viewings in for after your 2nd one.

I assumed seller was now ignoring you, nit that she may not even know you have seen the ad. Just ring her and say are we still on for Sunday?

Birker2020

Visit site
But if he is as you believe physically compromised why does it matter the seller has now advertised him? You’ve said yourself you wouldn’t be willing to offer even half the sale price so it doesn’t sound like you’re serious about buying him whether he was £2k less than his advert or not.
For what must be the tenth time i wasn't going to offer any money UNTIL the physio had seen him . I was already 2K over budget but would have paid that if the physio had said to go ahead and have him vetted and he passed. However as she is now asking 12K for him there is no point is going to visit him as i cant afford him.

Status
Not open for further replies.