It's one of those days........deposits paid, where do I stand?

Enfys

Visit site
The day is going from bad to worse. There a couple of questions I'd like to throw at you please.

1. This is not hypothetical, if someone pays you a deposit (for ponies) and then phones the next day to say that they have changed their mind where do I stand? Should I rip it up or keep it? I know that if I'd paid a deposit and changed my mind I would consider the money gone, OH says not to bother, we don't need the hassle.

2. What would YOu pay as a deposit?

Thankyou.

confused.gif

Clodagh

Visit site
I'd keep it. Defeats the object of a deposit otherwise. Depends how big/dangerous they are though!

How much? Say 10% of purchase price?

Would add...I provide accommodation, if people cancel and I have lost nothing as a result, ie. plenty of notice, no other enquiries, I am more lenient than I am if its the day before and I've turned 10 people away!

miamibear

Visit site
1) i would consider it gone had i just changed my mind. If it was down to vetting and it failed i would want it back!!

2) I paid £100 for my deposit so imbetween £100 and £200 is reasonable i think

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
If you stated that it was non- refundable then you don't have to give it back.

However, personally I would return the money.

Tempi

Visit site
10% of agreed price. And i agree that if it failed the vetting id want the whole lot back, but if they've just changed their mind then you keep it and thats their problem - they shouldnt have given you a deposit in the first place if they werent totaly sure. Now theyve wasted your time and you'l have to readvertise or whatever.

Claireg9

Visit site
Id say keep it, thats the point of a deposit. However if it was me giving you the deposit id ask for a refund, but would understand if you said no.
You dont get if you dont ask!

sally2008

Visit site
Cash it and quickly, before they stop the cheque. Surely that's the point of a deposit - stops you from selling to anyone else and if nothing else pays for your time and trouble in having to re-advertise, especially if you put off other potential purchases thinging you'd got a done deal.

KJJ

Visit site
I'd expect the cash to be gone....

I left a deposit of £500 for Jags. but would expect to pay 10% normally.

Cash it... they were the ones to change their minds, if they weren't sure they should not have given the deposit!!

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
I'd probably refund it minus some hassle money, ie cost of advert and your time for the length of time you spent showing her the pony...
let's face it she doesn't know how many people you may have told the pony was sold so she should expect to lose some of it. (and if you did you will have to pay to re-advertise)

Enfys

Visit site
Thankyou for your opinions, advice etc.

I was a little stunned when OH (who does the money thing for me, because I'm a pushover) said that he'd been given a cheque for £500! I would rather have had £100 in cash myself, but there you go I hadn't told him that. Next time I will insist on a cash deposit (cashpoint in the village!)

I expect the cheque was cancelled before I was left a message, so I will just rip it up and put to down to experience.

I hadn't cancelled any adverts as I leave them on until ponies are in the transport and cash is in my hand, so I didn't have to re-advertise but I had ended up messing several people around, first I'd told them there was an offer on the pony, then I phoned up to say she was still available, I'm more peed off because one person told me that I (ME?!) was a timewaster
confused.gif
and another had found a pony already.