Its so hard

Peter7917

Visit site
I have a 12yo lab x collie. Been on NSAID for a few years now.

Recently seems to find it harder getting about. Some days are okay, others she struggles with things like the dog flap.

A few weeks back she wet herself not being able to get up in time which clearly upset her.
A few nights back she was really struggling and just refused to move from the bathroom floor and again seemed miserable.
She's become desperate for food, like she's forgetting she has eaten. She paces at night.

Despite all this she still has plenty of good days. They currently outweigh the bad. However winter is coming and I know she will find it harder. I want to have her put to sleep now while she still has enjoyment for life, while the bad days are occasional and she has not lost all dignity. It's just so hard. I feel like if people saw her on a walk they would think I am making this decision too early, that I am trigger happy, that it is not her time yet. But I am desperate not to be one of those owners who allows their pet to deteriorate to that point where they are miserable; walnut whippet being a prime example.

Sandstone1

Visit site
Have you seen the vet recently? While I understand your point of view about not wanting her to suffer there are other medications that may help. She may need a change of painkillers. Have you tried youmove?

Its about quality of life really. If shes still enjoying her walks and food in my opinion its not time yet, however, you known her best.

Peter7917

Visit site
You move does not touch it. She's on much stronger than that. She has trocoxil and also has tramadol as and when required. There is nothing else in terms of drugs, other nsaid we have tried have made her poorly.

She enjoys her walks, yes. But we pay for it. She had all of a fifteen minute walk on the lead the other day and clearly struggled hense why it was cut short. She was in a bad way after that. She is desperate to do all the things she used to do like gallop about and play fetch but they leave her crippled. Some days she may manage half an hour in the forest and be okay, others she will do a small amount of exercise and clearly struggle, needing help to get up etc. I appreciate it's a fine line.

meleeka

Visit site
Codene gave my dog some extra time, it was cheap and effective, but if you’ve made the decision just do it and stop worryingly about what everyone else thinks. It’s a decision you need to be comfortable about, not anyone else. My dog went for a walk immediately before she was pts and to anyone else she looked ok. I knew she wouldn’t be ok if I left her much longer so we had a lovely walk on the way to the vets and she was gone before she had to suffer. It was the hardest thing I’ve ever done but I know I did the right thing.

rabatsa

Far from the madding crowd
Visit site
I made the decision with my last shepherd at about the stage you are at now. As he put her down the vet commented I had made the right decision, this made me feel a lot better about it. Mine went on a good day leaving no bad memory of being too late.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
The decision is yours, in conjunction with your vet, if you want another informed opinion. It makes me cross when other people try to 2nd guess the responsible owner's decision. You know your dog best and are in the best position to make a judgement about quality of life, which imo is far more important than quantity.
You are right, it is never an easy decision for a caring owner but it is the last thing that we can do in the animal's best interests.

FWIW, as I read the first few lines of OP, I was thinking, I would pts at this stage.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
It's not an easy decision but it sounds like you really know your dog and if you feel the time is right, sod what anyone else thinks your putting the dogs welfare before your own feelings and that's often the last thing you can do for them.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I wouldn't care what other people think, just do what is best for your dog that has lived alongside you for many years and who you know best.
I have been called hard in the past, but I am not happy to let any dog of mine suffer indignity or confusion or needless pain to statisfy my own comfort or that of others.
Dogs are not 'things' or vehicles for our own happiness, they're our friends and we as owners have to advocate for them, not act according to others and their opinions.

I am sure you will do what is best for your dog at this difficult time.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
As others have said, your dog, you know her best, IMO you are right not to prolong things to the point where life becomes too much of a struggle for her. I only wish more people had the same compassion. If you know she is not going to get better, nothing else can be done to improve her quality of life, then what is the point in letting her linger on going steadily downhill. Let her go whilst she still has some dignity and quality of life and you will look back and remember the good times in the knowledge that you did the best for her, always

Sandstone1

Visit site
Sadly, it is a decision only you can make. You know your dog. I think somewhere on line their is a checklist type thing which sets out points to consider when in your position.
i admire that you dont want to leave it too long.

Blazingsaddles

Visit site
I have a 12yo lab x collie. Been on NSAID for a few years now.

Recently seems to find it harder getting about. Some days are okay, others she struggles with things like the dog flap.

A few weeks back she wet herself not being able to get up in time which clearly upset her.
A few nights back she was really struggling and just refused to move from the bathroom floor and again seemed miserable.
She's become desperate for food, like she's forgetting she has eaten. She paces at night.

Despite all this she still has plenty of good days. They currently outweigh the bad. However winter is coming and I know she will find it harder. I want to have her put to sleep now while she still has enjoyment for life, while the bad days are occasional and she has not lost all dignity. It's just so hard. I feel like if people saw her on a walk they would think I am making this decision too early, that I am trigger happy, that it is not her time yet. But I am desperate not to be one of those owners who allows their pet to deteriorate to that point where they are miserable; walnut whippet being a prime example.

I sympathise. It is one of the hardest decisions you’ll ever have to make. You have your dogs best interests at heart & that is what matters. Watching her deteriorate, day by day, will not do her or you any favours. Don’t feel guilty - if you have given her a good life, she will be happy when the end comes.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
my lurcher stopped chasing wildlife and was getting slower and slower,, she had arthritis in her hips, , she was put on painkillers but they upset her stomach and didnt seem to help so after a weekend of thinking i took her for a short walk on the monday morning and decided that her quality of life wasnt great so she was PTS that afternoon. i know i did the right thing but others may have let her go on longer but i knew my dog wasnt happy. you seem to feel the same so go with your gut feeling and dont worry what others may think. good luck ....

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
No matter what I've chosen to do through the years, I've always worried afterwards, either about if I waited too long, or if I did it too soon. But it has always ended with that I've told myself that I can only do what I felt was the right thing to do, then and there.
Sometimes I also think about that most people says that they don't want to be like a vegetable before they die, without that ideally, they want to die when they're still able to enjoy things in life, and then it just happens. So if that is what we want for ourselves, perhaps we shouldn't focus too much on trying to guess how many good days they might have left, and just do what feels right to do.
{{{Hugs}}}

Thistle

Visit site
Thinking of you this morning, we had a pizza party for an old boxer the night before he left us!

i always feel a huge relief afterwards, it's the waiting and decision making that's so awful. Hugs xxx