Its taken a while but at last I feel I'm getting there!(v long!!)

molly7886

Visit site
Quick bit of background, as I've lurked here for a while but never properly introduced myself (hello from rude lurker
blush.gif
) I've had horses since I could earn enough pocket money to contribute. Ok rider, but I have to work at it as it doesn't come naturally.Bit of a RC allrounder doing novice teams on what I now realise were quite straight forward horses. 7 years ago I bought a laidback 5 year old TB who had been re-schooled by my then instructor. She competed him up to PN while I learnt to ride him. His laidback exterior disguised a sensitive soul & it took a while to get used to him as he was so used to being set up perfectly & wasn't hugely confident in himself. Things went t**'s up in my personal life- huge work pressure, relationship break up, health scare.I took all my tension to the stables with me & instead of being a pleasure my riding also went to pieces. Horse felt my tension, started stopping at jumps, I got criticised for 'ruining him' catch 22 situation, I rode worse & we ended up completely losing faith in each other. I contemplated selling him but knew I wouldn't find such a 'nice person' again(loved him despite not being able to ride him properly) so I gave up competing & just hacked. Being in a happier place in my life now I decided to see if I could give competitions a go again without putting pressure on myself. I had a bit of hypnotherapy last year, found really good supportive instructors who have been helping me for the last 6 months. I went completely back to basics. To start off with it wasn't pretty-horse expected me to abandon him & didn't trust me at all but at last I feel like we've made a break thtough. Both on the flat & jumping I'm getting consistent good work from him. I feel relaxed & actually look forward to doing stuff with him (big contrast to physically throwing up behind lorry which was where I was at a couple of years ago!) Had a jumping lesson Wednesday (first since before xmas) & although little jumps it went fab, not a single hesitation on either our parts & this morning had best flatwork session I can ever remember. Really feel we've got a partnership back again
laugh.gif
. I can't explain how happy I am! I was told by a number of people to accpet he wasn't the horse for me, I'd ruined him etc but now I really feel vindicated. I'm even going to give a U/A dressage test a go tomorrow. Sorry this has turned into 'war & peace'. I understand its traditional to offer refreshments after long posts so hot chocolate with whippy cream & a flake if you've endured this one but had to put in writing how good it feels
laugh.gif

Maizy

Visit site
That's great news, sounds like your trust and bond in each other is blossoming very nicely! Well done for sticking with him!