I've been trying to find out what discipline would be right for

pookie101

New User
Visit site
I've been trying to find out what discipline would be right for me. Either show jumping or eventing. I love both of them, but in show jumping they jump over 5.6 feet, and for eventing I’m horrible at dressage. I know that johnathan paget started at age 18(me being 20 and started at age 19) and he made it to the Rolex, but it was years and years of training. I know that it is a huge stretch to make it there. I want to do it for myself and maybe if something did come of it like going to AA shows and competing in the American Gold Cup it could be possible with lots of training. How you know what one is for you? What are the pros and cons about show jumping and eventing?

Claire-R

Visit site
I would go by which you and your horse prefer? just because you are "horrible" at dressage does that mean you hate it? why not have some lessons? you may enjoy it more.

I used to be a happy hacker but with my mare needing schooling I started doing a lot more and now I would actually say that I enjoy schooling more than hacking! :)

pookie101

New User
Visit site
I don't hate it, its that dressage and me have a love hate relationship lol. I take lessons and do flat work I feel like I'm not good at it, during shows I always get scored in the lower 40's :/

pip6

Visit site
To point out obvious to get to anywhere in either of them you need decent flatwork. How else can you negotiate turns and present your horse to the fence on the right stride in a balanced approach? Think of it this way, have flatwork lessons, you can only improve. In either sport you have to go through stages before you start jumping big fences.