I've done it! - Clipped her without sedation!

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
So today I finished clipping Sunny, over a 3-day period. She was clipped a month ago, with IV sedation, however it grew back far too quickly, and as the Opening Meet is in a week, I thought I'd give it a go. Needless to say, I succeeded! Day one we fully clipped her body and half head, yesterday we started fully clipping her head out, and today we finished by tidying it up. I'm so happy. We always had to get the vet to give Sunny IV sedation (for 2 years), normally two doses, in order to clip her. You couldn't even get the little trimmers near her un-sedated, without her bolting off, or trying to kick you, which she never normally does. I've been slowly desensitising her with the little trimmers, until she was happy with them all over her.

On Monday decided to turn big mains clippers on, she didn't mind (much to my huge amazement), ran them all over her - fine. Then on Tuesday morning clipped her body, she was perfect bar not liking the mains clippers on the top half of her neck, so then continued with the weak little human trimmers (very slowly, as they took ages to cut), did half head, which again, to my amazement, she enjoyed. And then yesterday and today fully clipped her head.

I'm so, so proud of her for being so good, and without the slightest bit of sedation too!
She's now tucked up in her various layers and pajamas, to keep her warm and stop it growing back too quickly. :D:D

Thank you if you read the whole thing!

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
We used to use sedalin years ago on our horse & he fought it all the way. We then decided to just clip him without & to be honest he was better. He was aware all the time what was going on & seemed to more accepting of it rather than drifting in & out of sedation & wondering what was happening. You just need patience & determination. Well done for what you've achieved. :)

mirabela123

Visit site
Thank you! I think she did like it actually, particularly her cheek area
g.png

Good info,,, Goodluck for you

Annagain

Visit site
I've been trying for 10 years with mine and still can't even cut a bridle path - even doing that with scissors is a battle royal! We can do 95% of him with nothing but that last 5% - nether regions and top of neck - is the problem.

He's fine to do if he's twitched, but getting the twitch on him is more dangerous than trying to clip him and Sedalin doesn't really touch him so even though he only needs it for 5 minutes we have to have IV sedation. Luckily he also needs sedation so I can clean his sheath - he needs this doing as he's riddled with melanomas - so we get it all done in one go. He gets sedalin a more few times throughout the year to allow me to give him a good clean every few months as that's enough for the sheath.

Sheep

Visit site
Ours isn't too keen on the clippers getting too near her face, (fine on her body but once they get too close to her ears, she gets annoyed) but loves the quiet trimmers. She goes to sleep with those on her face! Well done on getting yours sorted!

atropa

Visit site
Fantastic post, you must be so proud of her and of yourself! My new mare is having her first clip of the year tomorrow and I'm keeping everything crossed she'll behave, I've been told she's usually fine bar her head but she's been acting the brat recently.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Well done!

My mini threw herself on the floor three weeks ago, then was fine. Today I didn't even tie her up and she stood there grooming me :D

But OMG, What a coat! It came off in sheets like a sheep fleece. There was more hair from a 25 inch pony who's already been done once than there was off a first time 16.2 with plenty of coat :eek: No wonder she's so itchy if she isn't clipped. She may need that in the Orkney islands, but she certainly doesn't need it here. I do have her in the cutest little no-fill rug when she's out, of course.

I just wish I'd bought myself full power cordless clippers years ago. The Masterclip ones on ebay are worth every penny of £200.