I've had enough of this horse shopping

Annagain

Visit site
Feeling a bit sorry for myself today. Had a horsey shopping trip on Sunday to see 4 horses - a fair distance from me but all quite close to each other (in the greater scheme of things) 1 and 2 truly were bombproof. I'm not sure even a bomb would have got them going. 3 was very nice but way smaller than the 16.2 he was supposed to be. I suspected he was so asked for a photo with a stick and it said 16.2 but it must have been in a hole! 4 was stunning, perfect size, beautiful looking, incredible mover. I lasted 10 seconds before he bucked me off. I now have a pulled hamstring, whiplash, shredded confidence and I seem to have exhausted the market at the moment. There's nothing out there I think would be better than the ones I've seen so far. The truth is I don't want to be horse shopping. I want Archie sound and Monty young enough to cope with the workload of me and his owner's son riding him but I can't have that. Anyone got a time machine?

Last edited:

Littlebear

Visit site
The only horses i have sold have been through word of mouth, its so much easier - do you know any well known trainers or similar that could put an ad out to see what is known locally? It may be a bit less disappointing for you x

Annagain

Visit site
The only horses i have sold have been through word of mouth, its so much easier - do you know any well known trainers or similar that could put an ad out to see what is known locally? It may be a bit less disappointing for you x

I've already tried that - I have half of South Wales keeping an eye out for me as well as the good people of HHO. I really feel like I'm not asking for the earth but what I want just doesn't seem to be around at the moment.

blitznbobs

Visit site
I feel your pain. after losing my mare last year I bought another youngster - who turned out to be a lot greener than I was led to believe - just about got him going now and he’s now been condemned as having a knackered hock. This happened 4 weeks after
My super cob was diagnosed with spavin bilaterally and had them injected with no real positive result... so if the scan on Friday on the ish is bad then I will be out shopping again and I really don’t want to - I just want my horses to be well and fit but I also want something to ride... ho hum sometimes horses suck

Annagain

Visit site
With apologies to anyone who is bored of my searching!
Gelding 5-12yrs old (starting to think at the older end considering how green the 6 and 7 year olds I've seen have been)
16-17hh, middleweight
Nice kind, reliable riding club type to jump 80-90 and do unaffiliated dressage up to elementary (eventually, doesn't need to be doing it now)
100% in traffic and open spaces
Willing but calm jump
Can be left a few days (with lots of turnout) without turning into a nutter
Forward but not silly
Easy to handle and take to shows alone.
Preferably not grey (had years of dealing with melanomas) but starting to crumble on that one.

So far everything I've seen has been ridiculously green, half dead, too small, too skinny or tried to kill me. And these weren't cheap. Budget up to £7k if I really have to but was hoping that would buy me a saddle and lessons to get to know new chap too so £5k ideally.

Oh and within 2 hours of Cardiff if possible. I don't want another drive home like Sunday night's. I nearly stopped at A&E in Swindon on the way!

Annagain

Visit site
That sort yes. I had seen him when I wasn't considering greys and when I was hoping for something closer to home but both those things have to be up for grabs now.

ETA - Just seen the sarcoid on sheath part. I'd bet that's a melanoma - it's exactly how Archie started. So I'd give this particular one a miss.

hollyandivy123

Visit site
fairy liquid normally sorts out most things and a bit of a relaxed attitude as in what grass stains..............?

i guess its difficult when you looking not to think what my "perfect horse" is, and how many boxes it must fit into and tick most of them...............from experience i found trying to avoid thinking of a list of it must not have this or that helps and to try to look at the horse objectively if possible.

i had a bad mare put me of for 14yrs then was persuaded to see one when i was looking ended up with a 17 yrs partnership and have now bought my next mare.

Annagain

Visit site
I feel your pain. after losing my mare last year I bought another youngster - who turned out to be a lot greener than I was led to believe - just about got him going now and he’s now been condemned as having a knackered hock. This happened 4 weeks after
My super cob was diagnosed with spavin bilaterally and had them injected with no real positive result... so if the scan on Friday on the ish is bad then I will be out shopping again and I really don’t want to - I just want my horses to be well and fit but I also want something to ride... ho hum sometimes horses suck

It's horrible isn't it. I wish they aged at the same rate as we do. It wouldn't solve every problem but it would help!

Annagain

Visit site
What is the problem with mares? You are excluding half the horse population.
Also I think your budget should be 7-9k if you want one popping round 90 and capable of a good prelim dressage. That takes a fair few hours schooling which has to be paid for.
He'll be joining my retired boy on a geldings only yard. I work full time in a high pressured job so can't have two in two different places and won't move my boy from the only home he's known for 15 years and where he and I are happy. The horse doesn't need to be doing that now, I said it's what I want to be doing eventually.

Annagain

Visit site
fairy liquid normally sorts out most things and a bit of a relaxed attitude as in what grass stains..............?

i guess its difficult when you looking not to think what my "perfect horse" is, and how many boxes it must fit into and tick most of them...............from experience i found trying to avoid thinking of a list of it must not have this or that helps and to try to look at the horse objectively if possible.

i had a bad mare put me of for 14yrs then was persuaded to see one when i was looking ended up with a 17 yrs partnership and have now bought my next mare.

It's not the stains that puts me off, its the melanomas. Archie is riddled and while they don't bother him too much, I have to knock him out every 2 months to clean all round them in his sheath and hack big bits of his tail off to stop it sticking to the ones in his tail when they rupture. If it's something I can avoid by not owning a grey I'd rather avoid it.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Your post reminds me why I don't want to buy from ads. Most sellers seems to be either delusional or dishonest. Occasionally both. Can you go via a reputable dealer or sales livery person? I plan to make contact with a few within 2 hours of me when I am back from holiday who have glowing reviews and nothing negative on Dodgy Dealers.

Annagain

Visit site
Your post reminds me why I don't want to buy from ads. Most sellers seems to be either delusional or dishonest. Occasionally both. Can you go via a reputable dealer or sales livery person? I plan to make contact with a few within 2 hours of me when I am back from holiday who have glowing reviews and nothing negative on Dodgy Dealers.

The first 2 on Sunday were from a reputable dealer. To be fair one was described as a ‘leg on’ ride, but I didn’t take that to mean he’d stop dead if you took your leg off even for a second! I rode him for 10mins and I was exhausted! I’ve contacted a few and they’ve all told me they’re really struggling to find the sort of horse I’m after at the moment. On the plus side I can pm you a few my research has led me to if you’d like!

chaps89

Visit site
HorseQuest ref 214446 seems to tick all the boxes apart from being south east? Although hard to judge his chunkyness from jumping photos, he looks more solid than most but not ID solid if that makes sense.

Hq ref 213960, grey and not close by but chunkier stamp in the right height/age/does the job

Ref 208855, again not nearby and he looks a bit poor but I just like the look of him. Same seller also has 213324 but doesn't hack alone (doesn't say it's a must above though)

Ref 209066. In Wales at least. Touch over top end of your budget but depends if they're open to offers

Annagain

Visit site
Our posts crossed AE. The two I saw on Sunday were with Sam. She was totally honest and they were just as described but one person’s idea of a leg on ride is not necessarily another’s. I’d describe M as leg on as he will only ever give you just enough not to be told off but the one I saw with her wouldn’t move without being constantly nagged. The other was backwards due to being green and would probably come with time but he wasn’t for me.

Last edited:

Annagain

Visit site
HorseQuest ref 214446 seems to tick all the boxes apart from being south east? Although hard to judge his chunkyness from jumping photos, he looks more solid than most but not ID solid if that makes sense.

Hq ref 213960, grey and not close by but chunkier stamp in the right height/age/does the job

Ref 208855, again not nearby and he looks a bit poor but I just like the look of him. Same seller also has 213324 but doesn't hack alone (doesn't say it's a must above though)

Ref 209066. In Wales at least. Touch over top end of your budget but depends if they're open to offers

Yes I like the bay. Reading between the lines of Bob’s ad, I don’t think he loads on trailer very well and no mention of flat work. The cob is the one I saw Sunday, the chestnut was there but I ruled him out for being too old.

I’ve missed that Welsh one so definitely worth a call. It could be Bangor and a 5 hour drive away though, north-south links in Wales are terrible.

dixie

Visit site
I feel your pain as I was in the same position last year and it wasn’t fun.
I can’t offer any words of wisdom but hope you find something soon.
I was trying to find something similar and after several failed vettings found a 7yr old on Facebook, which is also quite hard now.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Our posts crossed AE. The two I saw on Sunday were with Sam. She was totally honest and they were just as described but one person’s idea of a leg on ride is not necessarily another’s. I’d describe M as leg on as he will only ever give you just enough not to be told off but the one I saw with her wouldn’t move without being constantly nagged. The other was backwards due to being green and would probably come with time but he wasn’t for me.

Oh really! Ah well Sam can be crossed off my list then. I would have thought any horse should be basically responsive - even if they need a bit of encouragement to get in front of your leg initially - and would be annoyed viewing one that wasn't.

Trouper

Visit site
Don't write off the charities. Always worth checking in with WHW, Blue Cross, Hopton Re-hab and Re-homing etc. At least you will get an honest assessment of them.

ollierdog

Visit site
This guy might fit the bill Horsequest 213689, think he fits into all your criteria, says he needs more education jumping but is well within budget!

Annagain

Visit site
Don't write off the charities. Always worth checking in with WHW, Blue Crhoming etc. At least you will get an honest assessment of them.
That hasn’t crossed my mind. As much as I’d love to, I’ve always assumed they’d only have little ponies, gypsy cobs and maybe some ex-racers. Thanks, I’ll take a look.

Annagain

Visit site
This guy might fit the bill Horsequest 213689, think he fits into all your criteria, says he needs more education jumping but is well within budget!
Yes I’ve seen him and liked him but he’s a 5hour drive from me. The
guy selling him does seem to have a few though and they all look nice. Maybe time to some research on him