I've just got back from driving my pony!!

Leo Walker

Visit site
She is amazing. Shes only been away 3 weeks and has only really been in the carriage and driving for the last couple of weeks. They have been telling me how much they like her and how shes going to be really good, but I wasnt sure if they were just being nice or not until today. The man who is breaking her drove her for a couple of minutes then I drove. Considering how little shes done she is lovely to drive. She walks and trots from voice commands which I expected, but shes picked up left and right as well and was happily circling and turning from voice aids only.

What I didnt expect to be doing was doing a cones course with her. Thats the equivalent of showjumping for driving ponies. You go through cones that are set only 10cms wider than the carriage. She is happy doing tight turns and pushing the carriage round and over which is the bit that lots dont get straight away. Shes not very fit so she lost momentum a couple of times, but to let me do that with her at this stage is brilliant.

I faffed about for ages trying to decide whether to send her away or not, but its been such a good decision. They have done such a lovely job with her. She is safe and quiet, but not dead and switched off, shes bright and alert and just so happy in her job. Shes staying another week just to do a bit more, and then shes home, and we will slowly up the fitness getting out and about driving on roads and tracks, going over the basics as we go, and then go back to school work when shes a bit fitter and stronger.

Its been very, very hard to get another one after Leo. Its always been at the back of my mind that I could sell her and she would find a lovely home as shes a sweet and kind pony, but someone asked to buy her last Sunday and I was horrified. Having driven her today she is going to be 10 times the pony he was. She has all his good bits and none of the bad, and is slowly filling the enormous hole he left. I'm not sure the novelty of having a lovely, easy, straightforward pony will ever wear off!

I dont have any videos of me driving but I do have some of Bobbie with John.

A very wobbly video of her out and about. I tried to edit it on youtube but I'm not sure its helped! I was on the backstep at that point so its a bit bumpy!

This tunnel gives me the heebie jeebies! My eyes are so knackered my depth perception is terrible, so I got out and let John drive her back in though!

50784641_10156261013753667_3226608719584296960_n.jpg

Rumtytum

Have Marmite, will travel
Visit site
Congratulations! Bobbie is gorgeous,you two are going to have lots of together :). I know zero about carriage driving and was really interested to watch John's use of the whip. Must take many years to get that good.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Congratulations! Bobbie is gorgeous,you two are going to have lots of together :). I know zero about carriage driving and was really interested to watch John's use of the whip. Must take many years to get that good.

He drives pairs normally and has just put a team of 4 together, so hes normally doing all that with more reins. He drives the team through that tunnel. What you cant see is just out of it you have to turn hard right and go past a metal stair case and then through a gap between a line of parked cars. I'm quite a brave driver but no way do I trust myself doing that!

When you drive you dont have seat, leg or weight aids, so the whip replaces that. Its never used as a punishment. She is anxious about the tunnel, and hes using the whip either side to keep her straight. She has deliberately been allowed to bump the carriage into things in her training as its important they dont panic when it does happen, but hes teaching her to be happy going through somewhere like that and to understand she has to stay straight when he tells her. Its only the second time shes come back in that way and her little face was a picture. She was concentrating so hard and putting her feet down so carefully!

Fools Motto

Visit site
She does indeed look amazing. So so pleased she is a right cracker. You'll have many years of fun.
But, what a stunning place it looks to be given such a wonderful start. Love yards that just ooze character.

Antw23uk

Visit site
Wow wow wow how cool is that pony :) How big? I'd love to have one of mine broken to drive, I sadly dont think my back will hold up much longer for riding (Im 40, i feel 100 and its breaking my heart!) but im not sure about my first driving horse being either 16.1 or 16.2 and green as grass behind the wheel, lol!

Leo Walker

Visit site
Wow wow wow how cool is that pony :) How big? I'd love to have one of mine broken to drive, I sadly dont think my back will hold up much longer for riding (Im 40, i feel 100 and its breaking my heart!) but im not sure about my first driving horse being either 16.1 or 16.2 and green as grass behind the wheel, lol!

Shes about 14.2hh now. I was looking for a 13.2hh ideally as that's a perfect size. I put off driving for ages as I didn't think I would like it. Stupid really as I tried it, absolutely loved it and have never looked back. I much prefer it to riding. Its nice to be able to go out with people, and nothing on earth beats galloping round obstacles with a pony that's so in tune with you they can almost hear you think. And unlike riding the horse does almost all of the work, so anyone can do it. My friend is competing successfully in indoor trials this season and shes in a wheelchair

Shes MK side of Northampton, if you want to come and have a go just let me know. Theres always an open offer for anyone who is interested.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Oh wow, I'm so pleased for you. She's a little cracker, love how hard she's concentrating there trying to be careful ❤❤❤
I really wanted to have a go at driving but I'd be too scared to go out on the roads 😳

ponyparty

Visit site
How wonderful! I am super pleased for you, she's a little smasher isn't she?! Just fantastic - I hope you have lots of fun with her.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
That is a fabulous update, Im so chuffed for you. I might take up your open invire one day when shes back home, Ive only ever driven a pony once, about 30 years ago and Ive never felt so terrified or out of control, would be lovely to see it done properly. Leo, could I pm you with a question, completely unrelated to this though? Its about livery

Lammy

Visit site
She’s cracking! Love her fluffy little legs :)

Got to say though...the chicken/turkey noise in the first video got me in hysterics, not sure why but it’s really tickled me :D