I've just won Badminton tickets!

Durhamchance

Visit site
I'm thrilled! I entered a few Facebook competitions to win tickets and this morning I received a phone call from Naylors Equestrian to tell me I'm a winner :D

It's for the Thursday, so there's dressage to watch and shopping to do! My partner can't get the day off so I'm taking my dad and the children (2 & 4)

Is there anything we must do/see? I've never been before, and can't believe how lucky I am :)

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
you must walk the course ;) or at least bits of it. it's one of the good things about going on a dressage day, the opportunity to stroll round the course without loads of crowds, then you can settle down in front of the TV on saturday to watch the XC having seen the fences up close & personal :D

might be tricky with young children in tow but presumably the littleun can go in a buggy!

congrats, i won tickets for Saturday from KBIS and it looks like the weather will be kind so can't wait.

Durhamchance

Visit site
Thank you! Small one will be in her buggy, and we managed to walk the course at Belton, so we should manage a bit of that.

Well done for winning tickets too :)

Annagain

Visit site
Thursday's the best day to go in my opinion, much quieter than the weekend and the shops haven't run out of the best deals! Other than walking the course (which should wear the kids out at least) I'd just wander. I imagine watching the dressage might be tricky with little ones but if they will sit still and be quiet or if your dad can take them for half an hour, watching a few tests might be nice. If Carl Hester's doing a lunchtime demo that's always worth a watch too.

Durhamchance

Visit site
Oh yes, thank you for the tips, I'd love to see Carl Hester in action. I was initially a little disappointed to find I had Thursday tickets, but I'd never have been able to get time off at the weekend, and being much quieter will be easier on the kids. I just wish I had more spare cash to take with me lol

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Congratulations.

I don't have any advice because I was a child last time I was at Badminton and they still did roads & tracks and steeplechase before x-country! I remember the food stands sold Churros which I'd never seen before but was amazing (just a long string of doughnut really). Definitely a day to forget about the diet!

If you follow some of the riders on twitter you'll find out if they're doing any signings. Also follow your favourite shops for limited offers. This week's H&H has a page of vouchers but check before buying to see if there's anything interesting to you.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Congratuations on your free tickets! I'm going just on the Thursday by choice, as others say it's quieter then. We will walk the course, see some dressage and maybe do some shopping. I'll be glued to the red button coverage back at home on Saturday.

Annagain

Visit site
Oh yes, thank you for the tips, I'd love to see Carl Hester in action. I was initially a little disappointed to find I had Thursday tickets, but I'd never have been able to get time off at the weekend, and being much quieter will be easier on the kids. I just wish I had more spare cash to take with me lol

I'm not sure if he's there this year so don't sue me if he isn't! He doesn't necessarily ride himself, he normally 'teaches' his young riders on young horses and talks about the work they're doing etc. I remember seeing Nip-Tuck there as a 5/6 year old. He was naughty but you could tell he was something special.

Durhamchance

Visit site
Congratulations Brad!
e.jpg

Who's Brad?

Llewellyn

Visit site
I do love dressage days, congratulations on your tickets. My tips for badders with kids:
1) get a course map before you walk and plan so you miss out the massive loops which makes the course surprisingly short to walk and you only miss a few jumps (although I think youll be fine as my boys managed it from age 3 and they're not huge walkers).
2) take age appropriate snacks as my little ones are never impressed with the fudge or olives for sample in the food tent and I couldn't find anywhere that does cheaper child size portions and I'm not paying top dollar for the little ones to pick at. We now do picnic and ice cream or doughnuts bought there depending on the weather.
3) on dressage days I usually take a football or frisbee and send children off to the far side of the cross country course with dressage hating partner to have a kick about so I can watch dressage for a while and they're out of everyone's way.
4) take lots of drinks as they cost a bomb and aren't particularly child friendly from onsite vendors.

I'm going Saturday with the 4 kids age 1,3,6 and 7 but they love xc day but is going to need to be a pretty big picnic!

Orangehorse

Visit site
Good advice from Llewellyn. Aim to walk the course first, as there are so many shops that you can literally spend all day in the shopping area and forget to do anything else. So try and make time for watching some dressage otherwise you can go to Badminton and not even see a horse!

If you look on the Badminton website it has all the programme of what is on when so you can plan to be at a certain place at a certain time.

If you go on a dressage day you can try "spot the stars" as the riders are also walking round and going into the stands.

Have a great time.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I always go alone on the Thurs, it's so peaceful in the shops. I then go back with husband and dogs on Xc day and don't need to go near the trade stands.

I usually Go to the scoreboard and pick up a running order for dressage, which will have people's times on. I then choose whose tests I want to see and whose I'm happy to shop through.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I always go alone on the Thurs, it's so peaceful in the shops. I then go back with husband and dogs on Xc day and don't need to go near the trade stands.

I usually Go to the scoreboard and pick up a running order for dressage, which will have people's times on. I then choose whose tests I want to see and whose I'm happy to shop through.

Brilliant idea!

wills_91

Visit site
Well done :). I'm coming down to uniforms sing the Thursday but going rest of the weekend. Never been before either

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Have a great time!

I've not been on dressage day, as it's a bit too far to justify but I'll be on XC day on Saturday (and don't do any shopping, which is a double whammy :D )

Definitely take comfortable footwear (particularly if you are walking the course), layers & your own food/drink if you can.

Durhamchance

Visit site
Thank you for all of the tips, I've put together a picnic, filled up the car, sorted out lots of layers for us to wear. The kids are excited as I told them we'll have an ice cream :D
My tickets came via dpd this morning so we're all set!

Orangehorse

Visit site
It was quite chilly today. There were many more people than I was expecting but I noticed that there were lots of push chairs and small children and they all seemed to be quite happy.