I've seen it all now....draw reins on a 3yr old

jennystreek

Visit site
I dont know if you remembered my post about the women at my yard putting their yealrings on the lunge in a pessoa....?

wELL the other member of their "gang", who has been riding her recently self backed 3 yr old in the school every day for an hour for about the past 2/3 months, has now been up there riding the poor thing for an HOUR in draw reins.

Any thoughts on this? Would be marginly better if she could hold a decent position, but she'd up there bobbing around on its back, hands everywhere, bashing around on its back - feel so sorry for the poor horse
frown.gif

Irishcobs

Visit site
Wouldn't use then on a 3 yr old, we use then on the 4yr old at work, but my boss is a very very experienced rider. We do however use elasticated side reins when lunging 3 yr olds but they aren't nearly as bad as draw reins used by a un-experienced rider.

burtie

Visit site
I fail to see the point of this post?
Of course most sane people would think rding a 3 year old in draw reins for 1 hour was stupid, but really it's none of our business as it's not her asking for our advice.

oldbear

Visit site
Sorry disagree. These things should be brought to our attention. I hope the person reads the comments and sees from an overall view how wrong and damaging to the horse it could be.
This is so wrong as the horse hasn't even finished developing yet. It can cause untold damage to both mouth and muscles and also serious back problems.........

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I agree with Burtie about this, I don't much like draw reins but this isn't someone asking advice it's someone talking behind someones back. There are loads of posts on this forum complaining about 'Bitchy Yards', & why can't people say things to someone's face & not go behind their back. This post is just as bitchy ...but done with a computer.
frown.gif

Seahorse

community.webshots.com
You get people like that everywhere you go!
At a show a couple of years ago a girl turned up riding a nice coloured horse with draw reins on, she rode him round for a while and then got off took his saddle off and took him in the youngstock class 3 years old and under
confused.gif

He didn't come anywhere so she tacked him up put the draw reins back on and rode home!

jennystreek

Visit site
i'm sorry but when you see a horse in distress, being forced in to an outline like that - which was what i saw last night, it was something that i felt i wanted to post to gain OPINIONS.

In terms of being bitchy, will you please understand that it is difficult to approach people and tell them that i think what they are doing is wrong with no firm reasoning behind it other than my own opinion - however, if i have more info, perhaps peoples experiences (ie gathered from this post - i did specifically ask for opinons if you bother to read the post properly) then it would be easier for me to go up to them and present a more valid argument - you never know, they may not realise what they are doing is wrong and take the advice to stop using draw reins.

Some of you may chose to sit back and watch and let people get on with things, but if it was me and i was totally clueless i would probably be grateful for advice!!

MagicMelon

Visit site
Everybody in the horsey world is bitchy! If they arent saying anything bitchy, they'll be thinking it at one point or another! So dont worry about bitchy posts, if people dont like these type of posts then they needed view them!

Im not sure what you can do about it - even if you DID say in the nicest way possible that you didnt think draw reins where suitable for a 3yo (which they aren't), sounds like they have their own set views anyway. Maybe try and leave the odd magazine open on articles about how to bring on a youngster..........!! OR give her a book on youngsters as a present (which wont mention using draw reins.....!).

RunToEarth

Visit site
Sometimes these things happen. Unfortunately some people in this world dont understand even basics on horses, and reading your post I believe this person doesnt deserve a 3yo full stop. Never really been a fan of draw reins, but did use them on my coloured this year under supervision of mum, and I can say they did work well for him.

Rosyryan

Visit site
Sadly, bitchy commenrs,equipment used in the wrong hands,horses being asked to do things they are either incapable of, or too young or not fit. Then there are dishonest dealers, time-wasters and livery yards with clients who wouldn't choose to be together in any other circumstances.

Draw reins an abomination in the wrong hands.

Sorry to be mizz just been to show---kids riding around on ponies in kimblewicks and pelhams wearing spurs whilst having unstable lower legs,ho hum maybe some people should take up hamster keeping.

viola

aspireequestrian.wordpress.com
Very well said hammiehamlet! Agree with oldbear - certain things have to be talked about in EVERY possible way. I used draw reins when I wasn't in a position to decide about training methods used on horses ridden by me. Having later spent some time starting young horses and actually making an effort to understand physiology of training I personally think it is an absolute RIDICULE and STUPIDITY to use DR on any young horse. Don't like to use them on any horse for that matter but I know people using them with a skill when re-training older horses so wouldn't completely removed them from the market... If the person in question stops using DR only because she doesn’t want to be ‘bitched’ about (if we have to call it so), then at least one horse will feel better! If she goes further and actually gets herself educated in a matter of a young horse education then maybe we will have more happy horses.

serena2005

Visit site
god that would drive me mad! i hate draw reins and dont ever think they should be used. iv used them once on a pony i broke in, only when i knew he was capable of coping with it, i had them on 10mins max, and never used them again.

they need to be used correctly, too many horses get ruined with those bloody things.