jab for mites

muffy32

Visit site
My heavily feather cob has always had scabby bits at the back of his knees, sometimes he has had them in other patches on his legs to. I started off treating them with lotions, potions, scrubs, clipping etc etc etc ( im sure a lot of cob owners have done the same and totally know what I mean ) nothing really worked so I asked my vet if we could try the jab ( x2 ten days apart, not registered for horses but widely used) she agreed and it was done.
Unfortunately it doesnt seem to have made a lot of difference and now I am mythed cos everyone I know whos cob has had the jabs worked. Im wondering now why it didnt work on my lad and what to try next.( will obviously discuss with my vet in the near future)
any ideas?

Chex

Visit site
Chex had an injection, it was only one though. I didn't find it worked either. I got Barricade from the vet and that cleared it up .

Theresa_F

Visit site
PM me with an email address and I will send you a very interesting article on pastern dermatitis.

I use old fashioned pig oil and sulphur after initial 3 x 10 days apart applications of frontline.

Avoid washing/wetting the skin on legs too often - it causes more problems than anything.

Cairo still gets two patches of grease below his chesnuts from time to time which I quickly clear up with a mixture of sudocream, sulphur and tea tree oil.

Breezesbenefactor

Visit site
I went through this I spent last Summer cleaning the legs down with Actiwash and then creaming them up with a aloe vera potion and it worked though I had to clip all the feather out first. Anyhow during the winter I've fitted her with boots and it seems to have worked however, this whole episode has cost an arma and a leg until....a lady who's on a course I'm doing had exactly the same problem did the same thing until her vet told her about front line, this is currently only issued for dogs however if you can get a prescription from your vet apparently it can be purchased in a spray form for about £30. Wait until spring before applying keep cleaning up till then... best of luck.

ThomasTank

Visit site
my horse had the mites jab and it worked a treat but the vet said it doesnt always work and to call him if it didnt. took about 4 days to work. hope that helps

sarahmugly

New User
Visit site
my hairy cob also had this jab for heel mites it worked well for first year but now she has condition back so had jab again it did not work this time to good to be true i gess back to the drawing board