Jack polishes his halo at Munstead

Hattikins

Visit site
Picture happy post as Dad made a rare appearance as he wasn't working, and was complete with whizzy camera :D We couldn't have had a better day really, and the sun shining just improved things that much more! The aim was to get another 90 event under our belt before Grassroots champs.

First up dressage, and after a slightly unimpressive warm up where Jack just didn't feel as soft and active as he has at home, he improved considerably when he entered the arena. We've been working on improving his activity and stride length in trot whilst keeping the tempo steady which I felt had improved today compared to tweseldown last week where I pushed him slightly out of his rhythm. And his canter was felt much bigger and more fluid than it has in the past so all steps in the right direction hopefully! We recieved a 32.5 for our efforts which tucked us into 3rd after dressage with the leader on 30.5.

Jack1-1.jpg

Jack2.jpg

Jack4.jpg

Onto the SJing, after Jack had made the most of snoozing and then yawning continuously as I tacked him up again, making the people parked next door laugh! He jumped a lovely clear despite a sticky moment at fence 6 an oxer on the turn where I got him a little too deep and he very carefully snapped up each foot in order to clear it cleanly!

Jack6.jpg

Jack7.jpg

Jack8.jpg

Finally onto the XC and what a lovely ride he gave me. We had had a rather iffy schooling session a few weeks ago at munstead where we had gone on our own and he turned very anxious on me and extremely sticky so I was hoping he wouldnt remember that! Thankfully with his ears flicking back and forth constantly to listen to me he popped round very happily :D

Jack9.jpg

Jack10.jpg

Jack11.jpg

So big gold star for Jack, and big sighs of relief that our preparations for badders this year are somewhat less eventful so far after last years antics! fingers crossed it remains that way! We had a lovely end to the afternoon eating icecreams in the sun and to top it all off we won the section with 4.5 penalties in hand :D

MUNSTEAD086-1.jpg

So very happy Hattikins camp (including Daisy the dog who ate quite a lot of picnic as we forgot to give her breakfast before we left! :eek: and she also polished off the end of the icecreams :p) I have Roast beef and yorkshire puddings on offer if you got to the end!

rotters13

Visit site
Fantastic!!! Super well done! Jealous of your photographer... I'm stuck waiting for Hamish Mitchell?!

Wheres the next outing? After Badminton (jealous!) or before??

daveismycat

Visit site
Great photos. He's gorgeous, I'm very envious. Well done on the win and fingers crossed for a good run at the Grassroots Champs for you. :)

sabel

Visit site
Fantastic result, well done. We had a lovely day at Munstead yesterday too, it was so lovely to be out in the sunshine! Am also waiting(not very patiently) for Hamish Mitchell so am very envious of your lovely photos.
Good luck for Badminton!

Hattikins

Visit site
Rotters: It's the first time since borde hill last year I've had photos so I was very excited! Sadly you may be waiting a while...again :/ Off to Larkhill next, entered 3 events before badders expecting one to be cancelled or to be balloted but looks like i'll end up with all three which won't do him any harm. Were you at Munstead?

Eventer96: Thank you, I'm very lucky that he enjoys his job so much! Very well done with T today, you must be thrilled! :D

O_M: Thank you! oo fantastic, would be great to see you :D

Bellatrix:Thank you, he's a real sweetie, I couldn't ask for a nicer horse to have especially as I'm only home at weekends to ride him as I'm at uni several hours away from home. He's very amenable!

Daveismycat: Thankyou, I'm just hoping we haven't peaked just yet with a few more weeks of training left to go!

Charlimouse: Thank you! Just hoping the weather will be as lovely as it was last year! :D

LJR: It's so nice to have a photos of him. The best ones I've got since all the lovely HHOers that took photos of us as Badders last year!

lannerch: hehe he's just a chunky Heinz 57 really. It's amazing what a full clip transforms them into! He does have a bit of spark though and is a real character!

Sabel: Fantastic! Glad you had a lovely day too :D Don't blame you, don't think any of us wait very patiently for them! :( Where are you off to next?

LaurenB: Thank you :) and...interesting you should ask as have posted recently about this very issue on the forum. We have never put boots on him as he has very sensitive pink legs and mud/sand/sweat under boots gives him rashes. He is so neat and tidy with his feet it's never been a problem. However I know catching themselves or striking into themselves XC is probably a case of when and not if so have spent since this time last year searching for a suitable set of boots for him. He has short cannon bones but a decent amount of bone so medium/full size are too long for him but pony boots are too small for him. Still looking for a pair that don't slide down several inches after 10mins of work! Next stop is cob sized woofwear ultra boots so fingers crossed they stay in place! :D

morrismob

Visit site
Congratulations a superb win ! We saw you ! My daughter was in the same section sadly nowhere near your dressage score but we had a great day. Have just looked at Larkhill and you are in the same section as us any tips for dressage ???? :p

LaurenB

Visit site
I'm in the same dilemma with mine! He's a coloured and very sensitive with pink skin, hunting with boots 3 weeks ago has resulted in him having to have 2 weeks off from them rubbing so badly!

sabel

Visit site
Thanks Hattikins, Munstead was only my second ever BE event (first was Poplar Park two weeks ago) and I can't wait to do another one:D. Unfortunately there is nothing close enough for me in April apart from Milton Keynes which is midweek which doesn't work for me:( so I will have to wait until May to do another, so I am thinking of maybe Keysoe.

lex2501

Visit site
Well done again to both of you, he really is Mr Consistent isn't he! Love the photos - easy to see why you get such brilliant dressage scores and he is soooo neat with those little front legs - what a poppet :D

Hattikins

Visit site
morrismob: Thank you! :D and well done to your daughter, I'm glad you had a lovely day as well, there was a really nice atmosphere on saturday. The section we were in was marked particularly meanly I think, It's been a long time since I've seen that many horses in the 40's after dressage. What number is your daughter at larkhill? I'll try to come over and say hi :D

Booboos: Thank you! Just hoping this isn't us peaking waaayy to early! :p

S_J: Thanks SJ :) He's pretty good these days, more the rider that mucks things up when they do go wrong rather than him!!

LaurenB: aw poor pony :( Well let me know if you find an alternative, I tried tubi grip under boots but that made them slip down even more :/

Measles: Yes Daisy did get icecream, lucky dog! She's not usually allowed anything but we felt mean having forgotten to pack her breakfast!

Sabel: ah that's a shame, but May be will here before you know it :D Best of luck for your next event when you get to it, look forward to hearing how you get on :)

Rosiefan

Visit site
Lovely pics :). I love Jack - he always looks as if he's having a good time without going over the top, the perfect party guest! Hope it all goes according to plan at Larkhill :).

rising_promise

Visit site
Really well done. Such a great result and perfect prep for Badders!

I was in your section and was absolutely over the moon to be tenth. Patchy ponies rock! :D

morrismob

Visit site
Hattikins, she is number 487 at Larkhill. I did think it was marked meanly as looked at the first few scores and watched many of the tests as we stayed overnight and were one of the last to go. But he just lit up going down the centre line, they have only been together since sept and this was their 2nd BE so very pleased with him, he hasn't been jumping that long but proving to love it, as with almosthere's thread, before this he was a dressage horse with several wins at elementary, just goes to show you it means nothing until the partnership gets to know each other. See you at Larkhill !:D

AandK

Visit site
Massive well done!! :D you were in my section and a 32.5 was an amazing score so clever you and Jack!! I saw you in the XC warm up but I am too shy to say hello.. (I was on a lanky grey with turquoise XC colours, no172).

Good luck at Badders :cool: