Jacket zip - would you bother?

Nudibranch

Visit site
I bought a Eurostar Martina jacket last September. I love it, but having brought it out for Winter coming I found the zip has gone. It won't catch at the bottom. I can button it still but without the zip its effectiveness is lost.
These are not cheap jackets and it really annoys me! However is it worth trying to return/complain after 12 months? I suspect they might tell me to jog on but I think a zip going on what should be a good quality jacket, well looked after, after 12 months isn't on really.
Wwyd?

limestonelil

Visit site
If you think the zip is faulty (unfit for purpose) then definitely try to get the zip replaced at their cost. You might be offered new jacket as simpler. It depends on condition of rest of jacket. I'd expect it to last longer.

Annagain

Visit site
Long story short I inherited a nearly new Musto jacket. The zip was dodgy on it (I suspect why I inherited it in the first place) and went completely fairly quickly. I managed all last winter with just the poppers - although they did pop open rather annoyingly at times. Over the summer I took it to my local dry cleaners and got them to put a new zip in. It only cost £15. I haven't needed to wear it yet this winter but I think it will be much easier and warmer with the zip.

I'd complain but if you get nowhere, it wouldn't cost the earth to put a new zip on it.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
if you don't ask, you don't get... it's worth the 2 mins it would take to complain. You're not really any worse off if they say no ;)

second AA, a seamstress would be able to replace if it's not a job you feel able to do :)

Fransurrey

Visit site
Have you tried using pliers to close the bit that clamps onto and slides up and down the zip teeth? It might help as an interim option. As said, a seamstress (just realised that's rather gender specific!) could replace it easily, but worth contacting them to do it for you.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I break every zip I have (why do them make them so difficult!), I just get them replaced by a local seamstress. Not saying you're at fault but am not sure I could be bothered to try and get any joy from the manufacturer.

milliepops

Visit site
As said, a seamstress (just realised that's rather gender specific!)
yes i thought that as i typed it. as it happens our local one is a woman who does repairs and alterations from home, she's done a few bits for me and OH. what's the gender neutral version?

SpotsandBays

Visit site
I would definitely ask!
I won a lovely mark todd coat last winter, however the zip has gone. (It’s more of a design fault rather than a faulty zip). I’m going to attempt to replace the zip on it myself over the next few weeks

Annagain

Visit site
yes i thought that as i typed it. as it happens our local one is a woman who does repairs and alterations from home, she's done a few bits for me and OH. what's the gender neutral version?
I chickened out and just said "I took it to my local dry cleaners and got them to put a new zip in" :D. I'm pretty sure it's a woman who does all their repairs. Given that "ess" is the feminine version of "er" I assume it's "seamster"?

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I just sew in a replacement on any zips that go, is that now a rare skill? I have one jacket that is nearly 25 years old and on its' 3rd zip, about to be 4th.

Never heard anyone called a seamster, what's wrong with tailor/

Annagain

Visit site
I just sew in a replacement on any zips that go, is that now a rare skill? I have one jacket that is nearly 25 years old and on its' 3rd zip, about to be 4th.

Never heard anyone called a seamster, what's wrong with tailor/
A tailor would mean something different to me - specifically a someone who makes suits rather than all clothes? Just my interpretation, which might be wildly wrong...and of course then there's a dressmaker too.
I enjoy etymological debates far more than is normal :oops:

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
tailor is a different job to seamstress though isn't it?
Erm, no? Tailor as a verb means to cut and sew. Tailoring is to shape clothing by cutting and sewing. To be a tailor means to make clothes, as does seamstressing. Seamstress is a feminine noun, tailor as a noun is neutral, although it used to be that men went to tailors for suits and women went to semstresses (medieval spelling) for dresses, but not always - there were tailors who made dresses too (not many).

milliepops

Visit site
A tailor would mean something different to me - specifically a someone who makes suits rather than all clothes? Just my interpretation, which might be wildly wrong...and of course then there's a dressmaker too.
I enjoy etymological debates far more than is normal :oops:
My understanding is a bit like this and also matches what popped up when I googled seamster ;) Tailor being more focused on the fitting of the clothing to the person, seamster/ress being the making of them. Though obv there's a big overlap in the skills.

perhaps it's something that has evolved.

Annagain

Visit site
A quick google (and several sources) tell me that a tailor makes and alters clothes to fit, often - but not entirely limited to - outer garments such as suits and coats; while a seamstress /er makes a living from sewing all sorts of material items such as clothes and curtains. So very close but not the same.

CMcC

Visit site
Zip on my favourite Ariat parka went last year, it was only 18 months old but I got it v cheap in a closing down sale. Local alterations lady repaired it for me, I provided the zip <£5 and she put it in <£10.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
The crappy zip went on my expensive Musto long canter and I got someone locally to put a much better zip on it. It does need restitching again this year though. I don’t think I could be bothered to send it back after a year.

Lady Jane

Visit site
I break every zip I have (why do them make them so difficult!), I just get them replaced by a local seamstress. Not saying you're at fault but am not sure I could be bothered to try and get any joy from the manufacturer.
What does she charge? My dry cleaners is about £25? Probably worth asking where you live....

Lady Jane

Visit site
I bought a Eurostar Martina jacket last September. I love it, but having brought it out for Winter coming I found the zip has gone. It won't catch at the bottom. I can button it still but without the zip its effectiveness is lost.
These are not cheap jackets and it really annoys me! However is it worth trying to return/complain after 12 months? I suspect they might tell me to jog on but I think a zip going on what should be a good quality jacket, well looked after, after 12 months isn't on really.
Wwyd?
I would contact who ever you bought the jacket from (your contract is with them if you didn't but direct from Eurostar). Send them pictures of the jacket, particularly cuffs, as that shows now much wear its had. It doesn't hurt to ask. I can kill my jackets quickly (I'm retired so wearing them day in day out with frequent washing) so I think after a season I wouldn't have much luck but you don't say how wornve been sucessful with Musto on a 6 month old jacket which I really had worn very little, they replaced the zip as they no longer made that jacket. I really don't think zips these days are as good as they used to be.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Wwyd?
Absolutely complain and return it to the retailer for repair or replacement under the statutory two-year guarantee.