Jade Goody

H's mum

www.coligone.co.uk
Heartbreaking isn't it
frown.gif

I can't imagine how she feels - Wishing her all the best and desperately wishing for a happy ending to this
frown.gif

Kate x

Spyda

Visit site
Yes, read about her terrible news on the front page of the newspaper this morning and felt genuinely sick for her. As a mum myself to small boys I cannot think of anything worse than facing the prospect of leaving your children behind and never seeing them grow up or being there for them. Poor girl. I cannot imagine the pain, anger and terror she must be going through. And so young too.

Cancer is something we all have to hope medical science will beat one day. It's a terrible disease and one which very few of us will escape being touched by in one way or another during our lives.

I really feel for the girl and for everyone else in the world suffering similarly out there right now.

Daisychain

Visit site
Poor, Poor Jade, You have to admire her for her funny quirky ways, she is someone who has come from nothing, and done everything she can to bring her little boys up and become successful.

I too also felt very saddened, especially for her in having to confront and the fear of leaving her two gorgeous boys behind.
frown.gif

cbeebies

Visit site
how terrible, living every day knowing that it may be your last, and those poor wee boys being left behind! i couldnt even imagine living like that, heres hoping for a miracle eh!!

Tootsiepop

Visit site
How terribly sad - please everyone remember to go for your smears. Its something that I have put off for ages.
Does anyone know what the symptoms are?
Toots

ISHmad

Visit site
No idea what the symptoms are Tootsiepop. But yes, I definitely agree with you about everyone remembering to go for your smear tests. Not nice I know but far better than what Jade is battling with.

She has two lovely children and whatever her faults or otherwise might be nobody deserves this. Hope she manages to pull through from this godforsaken disease.

palomino698

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
How terribly sad - please everyone remember to go for your smears. Its something that I have put off for ages.
Does anyone know what the symptoms are?
Toots

[/ QUOTE ]

And please be breast aware, and ladies of a certain age, go for your mammograms...

Keltic

Visit site
Cervical cancer symptoms
This page is about the symptoms of cervical cancer. The most common symptom of cervical cancer is bleeding from the vagina at other times than when you are having a period. You may have bleeding

Between periods
After or during sex
At any time if you are past your menopause
Some women also have

A vaginal discharge that smells unpleasant
Discomfort or pain during sex
Doctors call pain related to sex 'dyspareunia'. There are many other conditions that cause these symptoms. Most of them are much more common than cervical cancer. But you should go to your doctor straight away if you have any of these symptoms. You probably don't have cancer. But if you do, the sooner you are treated, the more likely you are to be cured and usually the less treatment you will need to have.

Pre-cancerous cell changes do not usually have any symptoms. Which is why it is so important to have a regular smear test.

kit279

Visit site
I really feel dreadful for Jade Goody - she is so so young for this to happen and I can't bear to think what her children must be going through. However, I hope that it will at the very least (no consolation to her alas) act as a very timely reminder that this is a very preventable cancer.

Get a smear test - cervical cancer can and should be detected early. Any abnormal bleeding should not be ignored. Go and see your GP!

Safe sex - cervical cancer is most often caused by a sexually transmitted virus, HPV, which shows no symptoms.

Get the vaccine - there is now a vaccine for HPV and it should be given to all 12-13 year olds sometime in the very near future.

While devastating for Jade and family, I hope we'll see the same effect that Kylie Minogue having breast cancer had - even if it is too late for Jade, hopefully other people's lives will be saved. *tries to find something positive to say*

keeperscottage

Visit site
Quote from Daily Mail article : "She later admitted she had ignored a hospital letter warning her that she needed treatment after a fourth smear test came back as abnormal.

She said she had hoped the disease would go away on its own and that she needed to appear on Big Brother to collect a £100,000 fee."

My 19 year old daughter is a survivor of osteosarcoma, adolescent bone cancer, who is now back to being a normal, horsey, teenager at uni. Much as I have disliked Jade in the past, I feel terribly sorry for her current siutation, but my daughter is totally unmoved by her plight stating (possibly correctly, if the extract from the Daily Mail article is to be believed) that she ignored her "problem" due to greed.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
If what you say is true, but I have to say she isn't regarded as the sharpest knife in the box, and perhaps hoped if she ignored the whole thing it would go away..
I don't for one minute think she realised how serious the outcome might be, and whether she ignored her symptoms or not, no-one deserves to suffer as she must now be doing.

keeperscottage

Visit site
I quite agree that she isn't "the sharpest knife in the box" but surely you can't be so thick as to think that something like that is simply going to "go away"! Like I said, I feel terribly, terribly sorry for her - I've been through the chemo "thing" with my daughter - but I still think my daughter has a point.......

skewbaldpony

Visit site
You don't have to be thick to be in denial.
One relative of mine died this week from being in denial.
Another finally went for an overdue smear (having previously had pre cancerous cells removed) because of Jade.
Poor kid. Poor kids.
Money iisn't everything, eh?

lucretia

Visit site
keepers cottage, so do i. she has made alot of money from being 'not the sharpest knife' so i would have to suspect she is sharper than she appears.
it is a terrible thing to know you are going to die at such a young age and obviously you have to be sorry for the children but this sort of tragedy happens everyday and to many people who are not in the fortunate positon to be able to use the media to generate sympathy and also income for their childrens futures.

TarrSteps

Visit site
On the "symptom" conversation, for many of the treatable cancers the problem is they are often quite far advanced/metastasised, and therefore much harder to treat, by the time there are significant symptoms that can't be explained away. The best chance for success is early detection.

On the subject of denial, yes she may very well have been foolish to ignore the warning but I can say she's not the first person to hope a bad situation goes away on its own. The problem is so many people explain away minor symptoms/warnings, or think they're being silly, or don't want to take the time out of their busy lives, and then, by the time they're undeniable, they don't want to know. I'm sure the pressure when you've got kids is even worse - you just don't want to think about the possibility. Of course that SHOULD be a reason to get the best help asap but people don't always work the way they should. I think in many cases it's actually external pressure - from a partner, parent etc. - that finally makes many people get the help they need.

Flicker

Visit site
If one positive thing can come from this, let's hope that young girls who might have seen her as a role model (why they would is a different matter altogether but nonetheless) might wake up, smell the coffee and realise that it can also happen to them and get themselves checked out.

cob1

Visit site
Lucretia: In a way its good that Jade has made her illness public - i think it has gave many women the push they need to have regular smears. Im sure in the news it said smears have went up 50% since her story has been in the media.

Ive booked a long overdue smear test - always been a bit squemish about it, but a moments embarrassment is certainly more sensible than getting this terrible illness.

pinktiger

Visit site
i feel for her , its so tragic and so sad. Due to my job im all too aware that so many people suffer as a result of varing types of this awful disease! medical science is always evolving and i hope they can one day eradicate this disease for good! My heart goes out to her, and her family!

kerilli

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I quite agree that she isn't "the sharpest knife in the box" but surely you can't be so thick as to think that something like that is simply going to "go away"! Like I said, I feel terribly, terribly sorry for her - I've been through the chemo "thing" with my daughter - but I still think my daughter has a point.......

[/ QUOTE ]
agreed. i feel so sorry for her, but i hate to say it... having watched her on BB, she really really is that thick. this does not make me any less sorry for her being in such a terrible situation, it's the truth!

foxhunter19205

Visit site
This really really p**ses me off big time! I have young kids, I have lung cancer (advised by doctors that doing horses and farm work all my life was a contributing factor). Do I sell my story to the papers? Do I bleat on about poor me? There are thousands of us out here who are 'dying' of cancer and other horrendous diseases. What do we get? We all just get on with our lives best way we know how, quietly and with dignity, thinking about our families. I don't know why I opened this post as she really winds me up; so much that I have trouble saying what I want to say!

Abandluc

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
This really really p**ses me off big time! I have young kids, I have lung cancer (advised by doctors that doing horses and farm work all my life was a contributing factor). Do I sell my story to the papers? Do I bleat on about poor me? There are thousands of us out here who are 'dying' of cancer and other horrendous diseases. What do we get? We all just get on with our lives best way we know how, quietly and with dignity, thinking about our families. I don't know why I opened this post as she really winds me up; so much that I have trouble saying what I want to say!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry to hear about your illness, I wish you a speedy and full recovery but you must be able to realise that she is doing this for money for her kids future.
Surely if you could earn this kind of money to protect your family and also to raise awareness about cancer you would?

foxhunter19205

Visit site
Thank you. I will never recover......I am incurable and inoperable; having said that, I was given 3 months to live last february, and I am still here, enjoying my life. Yes, I can't ride any more and can't walk around the supermarket, or do housework
smile.gif
, but I spend all the time I can with my family, and can still go to the pub. I just find it very wrong and unethical that someone can make money out of 'supposedly' being so terribly ill. I realise that is a controversial statement, but I know how ill I am and what I can do, and as usual I take everything I read or hear in the media with a large pinch of salt! I wish everyone who has cancer or any terminal illness all the very best, but it seems to me that JG is sensationalising her illness for her own gains, and that to me is wrong.