Jarring?????????

Hattikins

Visit site
How much rest do you think a jarred leg would take to come right (roughly of course)?????? it is just that my boy has been off work pretty much since Eridge BE which was 1st July and principly we thought his back wasnt right so he had physio and is ten times better for it but is lame now too but only on the turn both in the sand school and on concrete(not chronically just uncomfortable) so we think possibly he may have jarred himself which would be explainable as the ground at eridge was pretty solid. we were just wondering whether anyone has any experience with this type of injury and whether we are looking at weeks or months off work???

thankyou in advance
tongue.gif

puddicat

puddicat.blogspot.com
Its not possible for anyone to give a meaningful answer to this question - basically you're guessing what the injury could be. Even if it was caused by jarring, the recovery time is determined by the type of tissue damaged and the extent of the damage, eg and very simplistically if it was muscle, recovery would be fast if it was ligament the recovery would be slow. The appropriate way to proceed would be to get a vet, ie someone who is qualified to make a diagnosis, to look at your horse and try to identify the cause of lameness. From you description it sounds as if that might be difficult however they will be able to give you an informed opinion of how long it should take to recover. If you are correct that the horse is lame and that the injury related back as far as July then that would tend to indicate damage to a slow repairing structure in which case you are looking at months not weeks for recovery. During this time some exercise is likely to be beneficial but again that is best indicated by your vet following examination.

puddicat

puddicat.blogspot.com
TBH If you thought the H was continually improving albeit slowly and it wasn't in discomfort it wouldn't be unreasonable to hold out for a few more weeks, keep the light exercise and keep watching it carefully. I think though the best advice has got to be get the vet to have a look at it. Hope it comes right for you soon.

Hattikins

Visit site
hmmmmmmm i think ur right tbh, just arent looking forward to another vets bill which will prob have to include nerve blocking and scanning if it isnt found in the foot which could be an "ouch" to a bank balance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oaksflight

Visit site
Vet reckoned Hal had slightly jarred something in his leg when she came out (not last Fri, but the Fri before). He too only seems to be lame on a bend, was originally just the right rein. She told me to keep him exercising in just walk/trot work in school, so have been doing, and gave me a weeks course of musculo-skeletal drugs (forgotten the name). He appeared to be getting better, but then took a turn for worse y'day and was nodding and dropping his shoulder in both reins in trot, so vet is coming out tomorrow. In conclusion to your question, it would appear more than a week! I doubt it'll be months, hopefully just a few weeks. I've got 5 weeks to find my boy a loan home as I move to Nottingham for uni then, and I can't do that whilst he's injured.
frown.gif