Jaw crossing advice

Sugar12

Visit site
My very.sweet mare who was green is now confident and taking me to fences but was getting cocky and crossing her jaw in competition only never at home or in the warm up. I didn't want to change her bit as she has a soft mouth and accepts her bit very well. I saved up and bought an lovely anatomical bridle with a Y noseband which is a hybrid of a flash and grackle (previously ridden on a flash) ..first competition demolished the Sj but got it together on the xc which immediately followed..this week better but she is still fighting me to cross her jaw..I am asking should I continue to.ride her until she learns that she can.no longer cross.her jaw or.go.back to a flash where we get clear results but jaw crossing??

Her back teeth saddle etc. Are perfect it only when she gets stronger in competition

Melody Grey

Visit site
Have you tried a grackle? That would be my first thing to try I think if her inclination is to cross her jaw? I don’t know what a Y noseband is so not sure how effective that is?

ETA: If there’s anything else involved with the evasion, I’d think about that too before bitting up, I.e the benefit of a running martingale?

Sugar12

Visit site
Have you tried a grackle? That would be my first thing to try I think if her inclination is to cross her jaw? I don’t know what a Y noseband is so not sure how effective that is?

ETA: If there’s anything else involved with the evasion, I’d think about that too before bitting up, I.e the benefit of a running martingale?

I have her in a.running martingale . The noseband is preventing her crossing her jaw so she is fighting me going to the fence . Do I keep riding her until she accepts it ?

Sugar12

Visit site
A Grackle is the best noseband for a horse that crosses it's jaw.
The noseband is a hybrid of the grackle and is preventing her from crossing her jaw so she is fighting me at the fence will it just take time for her to accept it or am I causing an issue? I can jump her all day long at home and even in the warm up without her fighting me it's only when we go into the competition and she switches on that she attempts it. Basically I am gone from having clear rounds (but she was crossing her jaw doing them) to demolishing the course. We have only ridden 2 competitions so far. I'm trying to decide whether to keep at it until she learns to accept that she can no longer cross her jaw ?

Kaylum

Visit site
Can she swallow properly grackle is the better option for nosebands if you do have to use one. Those y nosebands really shut a horses mouth. Like micklems low down horrible things. A grackle should be placed further up the horses nose so to spread the pressure.

Micky

Visit site
Check your tension isn’t transferring to your hands/reins in competitions, try using body and legs more and keeping hands still. Certainly dont go down the route of clamping her jaw shut anymore.