Job Advice

BallyJ

Visit site
Hi all,

I'm 22 YO & currently work as a glorified receptionist. In a v small office.

It is in an interesting sector and i can bring my 2 dog into the office with me & have my horses on the doorstep.

But there are no oppertunities for promotion or improvement (Training etc) & i don't get along with my boss (don't want to go too far into it but its more than personality traits)

I'm a very ambitious young lady and always striving to do better but now i feel trapped.

So i need to make a decision - leave try to find another job of siimilar traits in a larger company, OR train whilst working and work towards a new career.

Does anyone have any career ideas for someone who loves the great outdoors, im struggling, i've NEVER had a career im dead set on.

Any help, guidance or words of wisdom is always greatly appreciated :)

LeannePip

Visit site
I could have written exactly that and am in the same position right now.

Like you I have never known what i want to do, but am dedicated and ambitious in whatever i put my mind to. I have made the decision to make sure i am not in the same place come new year. I've always really been interested in a career with property so have decided to per sue it as much as i can, i've been applying for entry level jobs, but am also considering taking a year out doing part time/ freelance work so i can study alongside which might help me get a foot in.

Can't offer any advise as i'm just bumbling along myself but wanted to wish you luck :)

BallyJ

Visit site
At least i'm not alone LP!!

It's a horrible situation to be in fingers crossed it all works out for you, keep bumbling along!!

McFluff

Visit site
I work in HR and can say that you are most definitely not alone. In fact, most people feel like this at least once in their lives (often a lot more). I always think that asking people to decide on a career when they are so young (I'm old enough to think of 22 as young!) and don't know what is out there is one of life's cruel tricks.

You spend a lot of time at work, so it is vital that it suits you. It can really damage your health to work in an environment that doesn't suit you (so do be prepared to leave if the relationship with your boss impacts on you).

I've used 'Career Anchors' before with people who have been 'stuck' - I think you can get this online for a few pounds - it helps you to identify the things that are important to you. Everyone is unique, so what works for you will be unique to you. This will then help you see where all the elements of working are prioritised for you e.g. how important are the ethics of the company, how much do you need to be personally aligned to what the company does, would you sacrifice pay for lifestyle options (e.g. flexible hours, work location). Once you understand what is most important for you, you can then use this, plus an understanding of your skill set to identify the type of work and type of organisation that you would like to work for. In the old days (pre-internet - yes, such a time did exist!) I used to get people to flick through the recruitment adverts and choose adverts that appealed to them - we would then discuss why that appealed (company, type of work, what the work achieved, salary, status, etc.) - if you do this quickly, and without 'thinking' too much, it can be very revealing.

You may need to be prepared to make sacrifices to get where you want to go - e.g. you may need to give up some leisure time to study, or find a job that doesn't accommodate your dogs, or take less pay, or move to another location etc. - as long as this is part of a plan (which you review regularly) it can be empowering and help you get where you want to go. So many people see career as a straight line, but this is rarely the case - expect to take steps sideways and backwards as well as the traditional promotion route.

The secret of success is to get aware of what you are good at (feedback from colleagues, school, friends will help with this) and what makes you happy, then be ruthless in your decision making to move away from things that don't suit you.

good luck

LeannePip

Visit site
At least i'm not alone LP!!

It's a horrible situation to be in fingers crossed it all works out for you, keep bumbling along!!

Thank you!! You too - have you given any thought to what you want to do 'in an ideal world'?

I work in HR and can say that you are most definitely not alone. In fact, most people feel like this at least once in their lives (often a lot more). I always think that asking people to decide on a career when they are so young (I'm old enough to think of 22 as young!) and don't know what is out there is one of life's cruel tricks.

You spend a lot of time at work, so it is vital that it suits you. It can really damage your health to work in an environment that doesn't suit you (so do be prepared to leave if the relationship with your boss impacts on you).

I've used 'Career Anchors' before with people who have been 'stuck' - I think you can get this online for a few pounds - it helps you to identify the things that are important to you. Everyone is unique, so what works for you will be unique to you. This will then help you see where all the elements of working are prioritised for you e.g. how important are the ethics of the company, how much do you need to be personally aligned to what the company does, would you sacrifice pay for lifestyle options (e.g. flexible hours, work location). Once you understand what is most important for you, you can then use this, plus an understanding of your skill set to identify the type of work and type of organisation that you would like to work for. In the old days (pre-internet - yes, such a time did exist!) I used to get people to flick through the recruitment adverts and choose adverts that appealed to them - we would then discuss why that appealed (company, type of work, what the work achieved, salary, status, etc.) - if you do this quickly, and without 'thinking' too much, it can be very revealing.

You may need to be prepared to make sacrifices to get where you want to go - e.g. you may need to give up some leisure time to study, or find a job that doesn't accommodate your dogs, or take less pay, or move to another location etc. - as long as this is part of a plan (which you review regularly) it can be empowering and help you get where you want to go. So many people see career as a straight line, but this is rarely the case - expect to take steps sideways and backwards as well as the traditional promotion route.

The secret of success is to get aware of what you are good at (feedback from colleagues, school, friends will help with this) and what makes you happy, then be ruthless in your decision making to move away from things that don't suit you.

good luck

Really interesting, thank you!

ChestnutHunter

Visit site
Interesting thread!! Head or heart situation... I am in the same situation, in a good job but with no upwards progression and I don't particularly get on with anybody in our small office. Having finished Uni 3 years ago I had decided that it is enough, and I still don't know what I want to do because my degree is in Equine Science. I'm working in the financial industry and although it isn't what I want to do, I too work hard for my money and I've managed to get a new job which is about a 20 minute journey further, but for a few thousand pounds more starting wage and they will put me through my Financial Planning exams. Ultimately, I see this as paying for my horse and training to do my BHS exams so that I can qualify as an instructor. I really want this just to fall back on and although my current job is a means to an end at the moment, there is good progression available in the new place and it does seem like the grass is greener for a change!!

Be politely cheeky in your interviews and really emphasise that upwards progression is what you need - It does work and the motivational is appealing to a new employer! Good luck!

Jill's Gym Karma

Visit site
Don't want to sound like too much of a miserable old cynic; but I've met precious few people who genuinely love their jobs. Most people have a job that's "ok" and pays the bills whilst allowing them some leftover cash for hobbies. I sometimes think we are dishonest with young people and promote the idea that with some hard work, everyone can have their dream job that's really interesting and fulfilling. Reality involves stuff like family commitments, bills, impossible commutes, geographical constraints etc.

Just saying that you need to look at jobs in the wider context of your life, and definitely don't judge yourself or others by job title.

Certainly disliking your boss and realising you can advance no further are excellent reasons for wanting to move on though, and knowing you want an outdoorsy type job is a good focus. As a receptionist you already have lots of basic skills that can fit into most companies.

Two suggested starting points:

1 look at outdoorsy places nearby that you might like to work, do they have offices?

2 look up local Adult Education options to see if there are short courses that might help you decide (I'm doing an RHS Horticulture qualification currently)

Beth206

Visit site
I know how you feel OP, I landed my dream job when I left university, long commute and even longer working hours but I loved it. My mum became ill 18 months ago and I jumped ship to work for my family's engineering business doing the accounts and payroll. I get the same salary, work 39 hours a week and now have a great work life balance. The job is quite boring and it's really hard working with family, but I have to face it that it was my decision to change jobs and I will probably be here for the rest of my life (unless me & OH win the lottery and open our own deli & restaurant!!)

But I love to keep myself busy and I have a lot of interests so, because of all the spare time I have I started doing a qualification in Nutritional Therapy, myself and my sister have an online shop selling interior accessories and I do some freelance PA work for one of my old bosses. So whilst my job isn't necessarily fulfilling, I get a lot of enrichment from doing other bits and pieces in my own time.

Good luck in whatever career you decide.

alainax

Visit site
If you are very ambitious, currently in a stable job and (possibly)?) young enough not to have huge commitments, what about starting your own business?

BallyJ

Visit site
There is so much i want to say to you all! but I'm not sure how the quotes work so here goes;

Mcfluff - The fact im only 22 scares me, i don't want to train too specifically then be stuck in a career for the next 40 - 50 years, but i feel through secondary school my school tried to focus us into one sector.

Will give the Career anchors a go! - V interesting comment and thanks for taking the time to write it all out :)

Leannepip - SO many!!! Vet nursing, RI, dog walker/sitter, the big dream is to own a livery yard - so need to get saving now :)

Chestnut Hunter - Thanks!! :) I did an equine science degree too!!

JGK - I don't mind not loving it - just would like to not Dread it! Have started hunting in the local area and been given a buisness owners email, how should i approach him?

Beth206 - Thanks! & Good luck on the lottery win :)

alainax - I have thought about this - i have 2 horses, 2 dogs and a mortgage! but thought about running alongside my usual job until it's started up, just don't know where to start or what to do?

sorry for the extra questions, and thank you all for your help so far :D

Batgirl

Visit site
I have changed career a lot (Physio, Teaching, Police, Retail) and if I had realised what I know now I could have cut out a few steps. For me it is finding out what drives you day to day. For me it is problem solving, if I don't have an element of problem solving I get horrendously bored.

For me I think you need to find out what motivates you day to day. I on the surface would love to work outdoors but I cannot find a job that would keep my mind occupied enough.