Jobs for Exmoors.

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
So young Scrumpy is now 4. Bought him feral off the moors when he was 6months old, it's been a fantastic learning curve..for both of us.... I've spent a lot of this year getting him long lining and wearing full tack, and at last he's happy with both. I have a friend who offered to back him for me but she's gotten herself pregnant (honestly some people will do anything not to back an Exmoor!!), and I think I'm too big to do it myself.

I've been thinking of alternative jobs for him to do in the meantime. He's still a bit flighty and I'm not sure he's make a full on driving pony, but I was wondering if he might make a little logging pony? He's got the power, steering and brakes. Has anyone heard of any Exmoors doing it? As I say, I would love to get him backed but I don't know of anyone in the area who'd do it for me.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
where are you?

there is someone using exmoors for logging but they use them in pairs. I can't remember who it was but the were on Countryfile a while back. if you can't back him I would continue the education-do you have anything to pony him off? I have a moor bred one myself (he's 2). you could try and get someone to get him into harness (assuming you can't do it yourself) or try something like horse agility.

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
Thanks peteralfred, I'll see if I can find any Countryfile archive stuff, that sounds really interesting! Yes I do have an arab X mare I could pony him off, the only trouble is they loathe each other, I mean really detest, and not adverse to taking chunks out of each other. I can do the harness thingy myself, I've done driving before. I love the idea of agility, he so does need to do something, he's sharp as a pin and learns quickly...just need him to learn the right stuff.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
they are super quick to learn, not always the most forgiving of beasts. however, I have two and will always have a mealie in my life :D

have you tried the exmoor forum?

the logging on Countryfile-the chap that breeds them on there sold a couple of youngster to the logging people-if you contacted them I'm sure they would help.

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
It means to ride one horse while leading the other one, but LOL !!, I can see how it might be interpreted...

Petalalfred, good idea, the Exmoor Forum, I'll have a look.

Fransurrey

Visit site
I lead my number 2 off my number 1 exmoor and she LOVES going out (a little too much, it's big picnic for her!). If I had the guts I'd back her myself, but I don't. Not a size issue (although she's quite fine, so I don't think I'd be riding her extensively), just me being a wimp issue!

gwlad-yr-haf

New User
Visit site
Hi, just joined this site, but found this thread via something else I was looking up and felt I must post! Gala, you say you live near Bath? I also live near Bath and own two Exmoor ponies, one I broke in myself, but am currently trying to train them for logging as we own a small wood which needs some serious work done with it. I am at university for much of the year leaving my mum with the ponies and in despearte need of help as she struggles to exercise both of them on her own, let alone train them. If you have any info about training Exmoors for logging it would be much appreciated, and of course if you were interested in perhaps meeting some time to share experiences or help each other out you are most welcome!

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
Hi gwlad-yr-haf!! That's so exciting!! I think you must be the breakthrough I've been looking for, ditto just about everything you say, including the wood that needs clearing. I see you've sent me a PM, I'll reply to you now with my details etc.