Joint supplements.. Worth it? Do you use them?

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
I am considering putting my geldings on a joint supplement but before I do I have been doing a little research as they're SO expensive (looking at £80 a month) and the cheaper ones don't have enough to even do anything. Most of the reports (human) show barely any difference from placebo and having the actual supplement, which makes me think is it even worth spending the money on it.

Lots of horse joint supplements have very low grade Glucosamine and MSM or not enough so to make things cheaper and make sure they're getting the right amounts, I was going to buy pure Glucosamine and MSM (or Chondroitin) and mix it myself.

The recommended amount of per working horse is Glucosamine is 10,000mg/day, MSM 20,000mg/day and Chondroitin 5,000mg/day. This is apparently what is needed to see any effect and enough to be absorbed correctly.

I have started them on turmeric a week ago. There is even less reports on that but more consumer reviews than anything else, seeing that it was so cheap and they're already fed the oil, as well as looking into a few expensive supplements and seeing it includes turmeric. £15 for 2kg which will last both horses months, worth a try (even though my entire yard laughed at me) and my gelding with arthritis has gone from down and depressed to whinnying at me, galloping across the field when I turn him out etc. Could be nothing related to the turmeric and will never know, but since 2 days after being on it hes his old self which is great to see.

Do you feed a joint supplement? Have you seen a change or improvement? Talking about horses with arthritis or issues rather than a supplement just for maintenance. :)

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
I made my own supplement up of

Glucosamine/MSM powder
Turmeric
Cinnamon
Boswellia powder

Mixed together in a big tub and I fed a 20ml scoop in each feed. My old guy did great on this for years, he got linseed meal in his feeds as well as fed veteran feeds with minimal joint stuff in them. He also used to get a joint lick to pick away at in winter as well.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I don't use the 'classic' ingredients (glucosamine/chondrotin/MSM).

I have used boswellia and observed a significant improvement (observed by others who didn't know I had changed anything). I'd prefer to feed an anti inflamm like that than the others.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
I don't use the 'classic' ingredients (glucosamine/chondrotin/MSM).

I have used boswellia and observed a significant improvement (observed by others who didn't know I had changed anything). I'd prefer to feed an anti inflamm like that than the others.

Funnily enough was just looking it up. It actually seems there is more studies to show improvement with boswellia than the usual glucosamine/chondrotin/MSM. I may try that, thank you.

ester

Visit site
Funnily enough was just looking it up. It actually seems there is more studies to show improvement with boswellia than the usual glucosamine/chondrotin/MSM. I may try that, thank you.

Yes, they are big molecules which will struggle to get absorbed and then somehow have to make their way to the problematic joints. The likelihood is they make expensive poo.

This is usually the best value for money though they don't always have it in stock. They basically only deal in frankincense and Myrrh!
https://rahiiq.com/products/1kg-boswellia-horse-feed?variant=27887580681

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Yes, they are big molecules which will struggle to get absorbed and then somehow have to make their way to the problematic joints. The likelihood is they make expensive poo.

This is usually the best value for money though they don't always have it in stock. They basically only deal in frankincense and Myrrh!
https://rahiiq.com/products/1kg-boswellia-horse-feed?variant=27887580681
This is cheap off ebay

Thanks all, yes I've found that website Ester and they're out of stock everywhere so no can do. Will keep a eye.

I've found this on eBay and they have their own website, good reviews and a good price.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Equicure...ural-Horse-Pony-Pain-Relief/223128940498#rwid

ester

Visit site
yup I think they've had issues! all the others I just do whoever has it cheapest!

I'm unconvinced by their liver support claim though ;) :p

hopscotch bandit

Visit site

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I’ve fed various over the years but not sure they really do anything. Oldie now has Buteless. I used to feed Cortaflex/ Aviform Suppleaze Gold/ Turmeric and various other ones including pure green lipped muscle as a joint protective as well as to help mobility but can’t say it really made a noticeable difference.

Having said that I’m always hopeful 😝 so just trying Cosequin on new horse who is a bit stiff (yay!).

atlantis

equinetouchjo.wordpress.com
I use turmeric on my older pony and you can tell when he’s not been on it if I run out. There are good studies in dogs and some in humans. I have to say I haven’t looked in horses.

My dog had liver disease so can’t have the liver toxic anti inflammatories and without his turmeric would really struggle. He goes from not wanting to leave the house to dragging us out and wanting to jump in the car (although we don’t let him). The vet was astounded. As neuriceuticals go I like it.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I had a IDx mare who reacted very badly to glucosamine. When I tasted it, it was very sweet, I do wonder if it had added sugar and that was what affected her. There was certainly no sugar declared as an ingredient. Anyway, never again!