Joint Supplements.....

Parkranger

Visit site
Seems that the boys intermittent mild lameness is due to the cold and damp getting into his old shoulder injury. Got the physio coming out Thursday and resting him till then (still being turned out). Put him in a slightly heavier rug and he seemed alot happier yesterday.

Just wondered what you guys use for horses that have problems with old injurys - I was recommended Equi-Vits range as alot of ex polo ponies use it apparently.....want to get him on something asap before the real cold weather kicks in.

Thanks x

PS - I love him to bits, but what did I buy! haah aa
grin.gif

Salcey

Visit site
Many people seem to be leaning towards the 5* joint flex, as mentioned in previous posts. Just make sure you check the quantity of glucosamine in whatever you chose as thats what really seems to make a difference.

Parkranger

Visit site
Seems to have a little more Gluco. than the Vet vits but not much - wondering whether I should add normal cod liver oil aswell?

miller

Visit site
I use Cortaflex powder - not had same results with any of the others but not tried the Equimins ones - daren't try anything different any more!

miamibear

Visit site
I use vet vits but more as a preventative than to cure something, i think its brill price and it has high levels of glucosamine and chondroitin in, frind uses it on her old stiff mare and it has worked a treat!!

My balancer has a maintenece dose of MSM in it too and i now feed linseed oil.

Apparently linseed oil has high levels of omega 3 which helps joint mobility, so i thought it was worth a go, will help with the coat too!

Parkranger

Visit site
Thanks everyone - will try Vetvits - they have a farriers formula that works alongside it and contains Calcium too - his hooves are a bit rubbish too!

Miamibear - that's why I want to get him on something asap - at the moment it's intermittent and the pysio will sort him out I'm sure.......be interesting to see what level of pulling around he needs on Thursday - when I first had him done the results were amazing!

miamibear

Visit site
Physio is obviously the first port of call. I had them check Red when i first got him and he was fine
grin.gif
no problems, hardly any treatment!!

BUT i still think prevention is better than cure and for the price of the vet vits equiflex he might aswell have it! The linseed oil too, it doesnt cost that much and he gets a cap full a day!

Evadiva1514

Visit site
I would definitely recommend the vet vits equiflex, i use it on my 17 year old gelding who has suffered from joint problems for about 3 years following his sidebone fracture and he moves beautifully on it and now i never worry about him stiffening up!! its fantastic stuff!!
grin.gif
grin.gif

Honeyb060674

Visit site
Well I'm going to trend set and say I'm using the 5* super flex. Its worked wonders on my 28 yo mare who showed signs of stiffness and suffered from arthritic joints...is now up and down the field giving her 2yo companion a run for her money

Parkranger

Visit site
Sounds like I'm doing the right things then.....be good to get him started on the supplements and see if they make a difference...

Theresa_F

Visit site
Personally I use cortaflex and keep the old boy dry and warm either by leaving him to his natural hairy self and/or rugging. Gentle regular exercise also helps with stiffness as does massage.

Finally if weather is likely to cause problems, in my very old TB I would give a little bute to ease her from time to time when she had problems in cold damp weather.

Basically all the things I do for myself as I have old injuries - but the hot bath is a little difficult
wink.gif

Parkranger

Visit site
My boy is 8 though! Really don't want to start him on bute and things like that just yet.....

Hopefully physio, supplements and lots of walking out the back (hilly) will help him work through it......no galloping for weeks!
frown.gif