Jointed Pelham

RunToEarth

Visit site
I have, as most of you know, a horse with a funny mouth. Now after this operation I have felt a change, but I was never going to expect an overnight breakthrough. He has been ridden in a ported Pelham and I think has got into the habit of leaning, this not helped by the ported mouth. For opening meet I am to ride him in a dutch gag with a waterford mouthpiece, I think this will stop him leaning and give me some control. But in the long run, over the next few monthes I aim to get his mouth sorted and teach him not to lean. I like the way he works in a pelham, bar this leaning. I want to try a jointed pelham BUT I dont see how they work, I have always been led to believe that the action of the pelham relies on an unjointed mouthpiece, somebody please enlighten me, and personal opinions on the bit would be appriciated. R x

jellybaby

Visit site
A jointed pelham will only work if you use double reins, as the pelham relies on poll pressure to work.
It will definately stop the horse from leaning on it, but have you considered schooling him in an ordinary snaffle, or do you actually need the pelham for a control issue?

JB xx

RunToEarth

Visit site
He isnt "snaffleable" when he is that fit, it becomes a safety issue even in the arena. I have to make the best of a bad mouth now, so any suggestions welcomed. What will a rugby french link do? x

air78

www.ctwequine.com
You should have a look on the 'Neue Schule' websitehttp://www.neueschulebits.com/ - their guide to enghlightened bitting is, well, enlightened
grin.gif
! and they give really good advice on the phone- if you can get through that is.

I don't really understand a jointed pelham- doesn't that make the curb useless? NS sell various jointed pelham bits though.

x_Hannah_x

Visit site
Both my trainer and I are having great success on my horse who is a great leaner, using the 'KK' Ultra Snaffle bit. She is a lamb though and control issues dont take place until you we're out of the arena, hence why it is only used for flatwork. However this has really hepled in other aspects of her work, and I am a great fan of them
laugh.gif
I know trainer has also used them successfully on horses with sensitive mouths. Leaves a little hole at £75, but you cant put a price on how well she works in it
laugh.gif

That doesnt really help your question, but hohum!! Sorry
laugh.gif
x

RunToEarth

Visit site
No I have tried KK range, and a few of nuschule and various myler snaffle mouths. The harsh truth is he has already been ruined. He wasnt a snaffle mouth when I got him but these teeth problems are lodged in his mind as well, only time can change that. I can accept he isnt snaffle mouth, being unable to do dressage isnt such a great knock, I can live with that, its just a case of making him confortable and safe with a little in his mouth as I can manage. x

Murphs_Mum

Visit site
I have a fantastic book on bits and bitting, which I can't remember the name of (will look later) but basically the chap pretty much agrees with you - a jointed pelham does not make sense. Murph was in a jointed pelham when I got him, he is now in a snaffle for most things (mostly stoppable) and I use a kimblewick or Pelham for anything exciting. Just a word of warning I bought a Vulcanite Pelham and he hated it, far too thick for him think you just have to play around. I know everyone things you should be able to ride in a snaffle at all times but having bought my horse as an 11 year old I assure you I can't
crazy.gif

druid

Visit site
A quote from bits & bitting

"The jointed [pelham] makes very much less sense; it inevitably squeezes the cheeks with the “nutcracker” action and it is difficult to see how curb pressure could be employed as the curb chain falls out of the curb groove when the mouthpiece assumes a v-shape in the mouth. "

Bossanova

Visit site
I would try a double, with a pelham I feel the action is too dead. With a double, you can wean him off the curb when he is being good but take up the weymouth if he gets a bit strong. The bradoon will prevent the lean if you use a single jointed one as you can give a small correction with that rather than a pull with the curb

KatB

Visit site
Have you thought about a myler pelham? Will work the same as the one you have at the moment but has the independant side movement that can help dissuade them from leaning....

Gingernags

Visit site
I don't have a problem with brakes luckily, however I have had issues in the past with the ginger one leaning on her bit. She was always ridden in some form of fixed ring snaffle like an eggbutt or hanging cheek.

I tried the Myler snaffle with her and it made a huge difference and I've learned about her that she doesn't like single jointed bits, or straight bars, she needs tongue room. Gradually though as her myler had the cheek and rein slots she started to lean again - if you have a fixed rings like that - you apparently give them something to lean ON.

With that in mind, and knowing that she doesn't like thick bits either - I bought a cottage craft loose ring french link with a fairly thin mouthpiece - and it is spot on! The loose ring means there is no fixing of the bit in the mouth giving her that to lean against, as the bit and rings move.

It only cost £7.99!!!! And it works so far, better than the £50 myler - however, the myler book and bit taught me to understand how her mouth is, and what she does to evade certain pressures that she doesn't like, and how to find something comfortable.

You may suddenly try a bit that just clicks - my old pony had no brakes at all (Asti's mum) she used to bolt. Back in those days - well OK 20 years ago, everyone had eggbutt single jointed snaffles more or less. She started to open her mouth to evade - stuck a drop on. She started to raise her head - martingale next - then the bolting started and pulling like a steam train! Tried a kimblewick and she detested it - got her tongue over and had massive tantrums.

I gave in and tried a pelham as a last resort, thinking what a horrible child I must be to use something so severe, and what a nutter the pony was - but an ovenight change - I got a sweetly responsive pony that was still on the hot headed side, but was suddenly lighter and controllable.

Its just trial and error really but a bitting book like the myler is great for explaining what sort of mouth shapes and which cheeks and mouthpieces can help which evasions and symptoms. Saying that I guess a lot will be on their website. Failing that they have trained fitters that do clinics, might be worth getting to one? There are always the combination bits which I've really fancied trying on Asti - with the nose pressure thingies... I think they have a loose ring action but are much stronger than a snaffle.

Anyway, I'll stop waffling now! But agree a jointed pelham doesn't make sense to me.