Jolly Jack enjoys a confidence booster at BCA

Hattikins

Visit site
Well being an unhappy chappy for whatever reason XC in the BE100 at Borde Hill we decided to downgrade to the 90 at BCA with the aim of Jack regaining his previous enjoyment for the solid obstacles :D

The dressage arena looked like a complete quagmire - there was very little green left! Jack seemed to relish this though, not slipping once despite having only teeny tiny studs on all round so was very happy with how this is progressing this year :) Have been very hit and miss guessing his score this season so reckoned I'd be safe with a guesstimate of sub 32.

Onto the SJing which on upon watching, I hadnt seen a single clear and had seen 2 eliminated consecutively! Felt terribly sorry for the BCA team as they'd done their best not knowing that the heavens would open and tip down solidly....the SJing warmup resembled an respectable mud bath! Jumped 2 cross poles, a 2'9'' upright and a tiny oxer and took him in. He yet again relished the soft going and popped round very neatly for a clear after a bit of a growl at 2 where he contemplated taking the michael....he soon realised "not any more mate!"

Quick change for me and an attempt to scrape some of the mud off Jack and tack before the XC. He had a ball! Jack is notoriously speedy round BCA (he was easily inside the time last year despite having a naughty glance off and taking an alternative) so having seen the carnage the corner was causing, i decided to opt for the alternative primarily for time wasting purposes but also as we were sitting in a decent position on the scoreboard and i didnt fancy taking my chances! He jumped with great gusto and we came home 4 secs inside the time despite taking the alternative :D

Mission accomplished, happy and confident Jack again (who clearly fancies himself as a bog pony!) which was the aim :D and to round off a soggy day eventing we finished on our dressage score of 28 to win the section by 5 penalties! :D clever chap!

Sausage, mash and beans for all :)

Last edited:

star

Visit site
wow - well done! confidence boosting def achieved!!!

now, can you come and give me some lessons on how to speed up. cant believe you were still 4secs inside having done the alternative! i was 35secs over!!!

Fairy Dust

Visit site
Wow fab result- especially in today's conditions!! :)

Just written on Star's thread that my BCA didn't go great (very bad dressage and one run out on 9b!) but oh well, all back in one piece and it was my first event on the pony!!

Well done again!! :)

Hattikins

Visit site
doratheexplorer: was a lovely day despite the rain, have never been quite so happy to be eventing in it! we're off to Rackham next back up to BE100 so hopefully sir will be raring to go :)

star: hehe Jack's always been nippy XC and not entirely sure why, he's only just 15.2hh (and with v.short legs at that!) but I dont have to take a pull in front of fences and as soon as he lands he accelerates away. He's also so sure footed I can stick really close to the inside lines shaving time off every corner. Having said that you were by no means the only one to have time penalties yesterday - infact I think from the results more did than didnt. Every event you do you'll get a better feel for the speed you're travelling at :)

Fairy Dust: Sorry to hear your day didnt go quite to plan but really well done for your first event, its great to get the first one out of the way and complete especially as a new partnership :D

NR99: we did just about survive the rain! Poor Jack was plastered in mud - he little white legs were caked and I've never seen so much mud stick to a stud girth!

Flipflop: thank you :) sadly only pro pics as Mum didnt take photos so will probably stick up a link when they go up :)

Hattikins

Visit site
Last edited:

Eventer96

twitter.com
Massive well done! Was amazed by your dressage in the horrible conditions. We didn't cope so well with it (in the dressage and XC) and following you in after the dressage really made my day! ;) Again, well done. Really pleased you had a confidence giving run! :D Best of luck at Rackham. :)