JR x Norfolk terrier

Austen123

Visit site
i can feel myself getting cold feet. what if i get called to work for a meeting (albeit, i only work 5 mins away) . i normally leave to go to the horses at about 3pm and my partner is then home at 5. i worry about burdening the puppy with a relative for those couple of hours.. maybe im not just over thinking. afterall, it wont be a puppy forever. I thought i could potentially bring pup to horses once injections have been done and making a nest/play area in spare stable.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
when i first had my terrier puppy i didnt ride for a couple of weeks and he came to the horses with me and stayed in the car while i poo picked the field. i then put him in my horses stable to have a wee or poo while i did my yard jobs. i also carried him with me when i walked my other dog so he saw the world and was used to seeing lots of people and other dogs while not interacting with them. as soon as he was ok to mix with other dogs it was no problem. yes it is hard work and i would suggest that you or OH take some leave for the first 2 weeks or so to make sure the puppy has a good start. 2 hours is a long time to leave a new pup on his own before he is used to you or your home..the horses could take a back seat as well.

Austen123

Visit site
when i first had my terrier puppy i didnt ride for a couple of weeks and he came to the horses with me and stayed in the car while i poo picked the field. i then put him in my horses stable to have a wee or poo while i did my yard jobs. i also carried him with me when i walked my other dog so he saw the world and was used to seeing lots of people and other dogs while not interacting with them. as soon as he was ok to mix with other dogs it was no problem. yes it is hard work and i would suggest that you or OH take some leave for the first 2 weeks or so to make sure the puppy has a good start. 2 hours is a long time to leave a new pup on his own before he is used to you or your home..the horses could take a back seat as well.

That's reassuring. im sure i could try and work something out with my routine so OH is home so i can sneak in a ride.
What age could you leave him/her while you rode?

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i did leave him for a couple of hours when he was about 14 weeks . i had owned him since he was 9 weeks so he was pretty comfortable in the home. i crate trained him and always put him in it if i was bathing,or cleaning upstairs so he gradually got used to being alone in the room with my other dog for short periods while i was here and i then gradually left him for a bit longer when i went to the shops or just to the yard to feed in the evening. it wasnt a shock to him to be left when i started to ride and i have never had any problems with leaving him....its very do able as long as you do things gradually and start as you mean to go on by leaving him for very short periods and working up, the mistake some people make is they expect the puppy to stay at home alone for a number of hours when they havent even been left for 5 mins before. good luck and we will need more pics when you get him:)

{97702}

Visit site
i can feel myself getting cold feet. what if i get called to work for a meeting (albeit, i only work 5 mins away) . i normally leave to go to the horses at about 3pm and my partner is then home at 5. i worry about burdening the puppy with a relative for those couple of hours.. maybe im not just over thinking. afterall, it wont be a puppy forever. I thought i could potentially bring pup to horses once injections have been done and making a nest/play area in spare stable.

If you have cold feet I could have the puppy instead? 😛😂😂😂 so cute!