Judging coloureds?

Carlosmum

Visit site
I found myself judging a coloured class at a small show today. What should I have been looking for in reference to the colour? Most were piebald, with varying degrees of white vs black. All were different shapes & sizes. In the end I went for confirmation and soundness over colour, but how would I separate 2 very similar beasts considering colour. My head tells me equal colour distribution both sides etc but is this correct? Thank you from a definitely NON coloured fan!

oldie48

Visit site
From someone who has a coloured horse but not by choice, I would say as little white as possible and if the white can be covered by a saddle, then even better! I do like a splodge of white on the neck as long as it gives the mane a nice splodge of white too, same for the HQs and tail. White stockings, as long as they are symmetrical also look very smart. TBH, I have absolutely no idea.

Visit site
Coloured classes - judge it as though they were all bay. Conformation and movement above all else. If you have 2 equal then chose which ones colour pleases you most. Some like lots of white, others more darker coloured, some like big white legs, others prefer dark hocks and tail etc.

Unless it is a colour and markings class the actual colour of the animal shouldn't come into consideration.

conniegirl

Visit site
You do not judge colour in coloured classes. You judge as though they were all bay. So which is the best of it’s type, best schooled, best mannered etc.

holeymoley

Visit site
You do not judge colour in coloured classes. You judge as though they were all bay. So which is the best of it’s type, best schooled, best mannered etc.

I wish more judges knew this. I’ve completely lost interest in showing in coloured classes over the last few years as my boy seems to get placed down the line despite doing a perfect show in comparison to others, just because he has less black patches and more white on him. Yes it is a personal preference when it comes to the final decision and I’m not bias (well maybe a little ;) ) but when those cantering around on the wrong leg and turning out completely incorrectly get placed above it’s a bit of a kick in the teeth :( not to mention the lack of manners while in the line up.

Cowpony

Visit site
I wish more judges knew this. I’ve completely lost interest in showing in coloured classes over the last few years as my boy seems to get placed down the line despite doing a perfect show in comparison to others, just because he has less black patches and more white on him. Yes it is a personal preference when it comes to the final decision and I’m not bias (well maybe a little ;) ) but when those cantering around on the wrong leg and turning out completely incorrectly get placed above it’s a bit of a kick in the teeth :( not to mention the lack of manners while in the line up.

I feel your pain. I only do showing for fun once or twice a year, but my horse is mainly white and I've been told by a judge that it was difficult to place us higher because of her colour. We were also placed down the line by another judge after doing a foot perfect individual show, the only horse to strike off on the correct canter lead on both reins and the only one to show a proper gallop. Two horses had the most dreadful plaits, done with rubber bands, and behaved appallingly, but one off them was placed above us. Good thing we don't take it too seriously :)

conniegirl

Visit site
I feel your pain. I only do showing for fun once or twice a year, but my horse is mainly white and I've been told by a judge that it was difficult to place us higher because of her colour. We were also placed down the line by another judge after doing a foot perfect individual show, the only horse to strike off on the correct canter lead on both reins and the only one to show a proper gallop. Two horses had the most dreadful plaits, done with rubber bands, and behaved appallingly, but one off them was placed above us. Good thing we don't take it too seriously :)

It happens to all of us, a couple of weeks ago i went to a show, they had a last minute judge change and it became very obvious the judge knew nothing about M&M ponies at all.
He decided my section C, who has been to HOYS 4 times and who has WON at the RIHS as a section C, was partbred arab and not very typey so placed him last under a couple of non descript things that may have been connies? A badly behaved C who wouldnt canter at all and a very naughty section A (who was stunning but was taking complete advantage of its little rider).

Carlosmum

Visit site
Thank you everyone, that is most helpful. Fortunately it was only in-hand this time, but I would have considered manners if necessary. Probably easier if they had all been bay!!