JUMBO?

R4RUDI

Visit site
Went husband hunting for our mare on Saturday i.e. looking at stallions. Fell in love with a gorgeous black head with kind eyes who loves to be cuddled. Turns out it was Jumbo. Has anyone had a foal by him, knows horses by him, or even knows him? I'd be really interested to know their temperament as his seems brilliant. Thanks x

Weezy

Visit site
Yep, my YO has a 4 year old by him and one on the way. Her mare is REALLY nice to do, very sane, backed without a whisper of worry, is riding on REALLY well and could well be the next Headly Brittania, as she is only 15.3hh
laugh.gif
I would certainly use him from what I have seen.

TiaPony

Visit site
Tia is supposedly by him. If she is, expect a kind, gentle, honest and willing baby. She is the easiest thing to do ever but she too is small, 15.2/3ish
x

R4RUDI

Visit site
Brilliant, I'd heard that he produces youngsters with a great temperament and that's the most important aspect to me. Our mare is TB x and has the best manners when handling her but her TB side comes into play if she catches sight of a xc course as she loves it, so I wanted some ID in there to calm things down!

summertoots

Visit site
I have been told he no longer stands at stud. Person who told me that is pretty reliable on this kind of info too.
He does have a son at stud. He's a very dark grey and has inheritted his fathers good nature, his name is Igguldon Skye Laird, he's six or seven.

madhector

www.darlingdressage.co.uk
My boss has a two year old by him, she is very sweet natured, a little clingy (but think thats from the dams side) doing very very well in youngstock classes, and considering how nutty her mother was she is a very sensible filly

eventing_chick

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I have been told he no longer stands at stud. Person who told me that is pretty reliable on this kind of info too.
He does have a son at stud. He's a very dark grey and has inheritted his fathers good nature, his name is Igguldon Skye Laird, he's six or seven.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry but thats incorrect as have just sent my mare to him at twemlows ( but owner is picky about the mares i belive) The owner told me it was his last season though.....
wink.gif

Bounty

www.freewebs.com
He has four sons based at Grafham, though I think Jetset and Jigilo might be at Twemlows with Jumbo himself.
http://www.grafhamstud.co.uk/
There's also Igguldon Skye Laird and Med Night Mahout that are sons of Jumbo that stand independently.
I have pics of Igguldon Skye Laird and Brief Encounter if you're interested.
Have met Brief Encounter and Free Spirit, and couldn't fault their temperaments at all.
grin.gif

Folara

Visit site
I had a lovely youngster from Jumbo. I ended up selling him to a friend as he was too much horse for me. He loved to work everyday and wasnt happy being a happy hack that I was at that point having to be. He went on to be a very good eventer.

ElleJS

Visit site
I know lots about him and those other stallions good and bad.
guy who events my horse used to ride all the jumbo stallions.
On the whole, SUPER horses.

Tangaroo

Visit site
I bred a foal by Jumbo 14 years ago. He was a very laid back character who was easy to break and do anything with. The only problem was that he was too laid back to event. He was the most fantastic hunter. I eventually sold him to a middle aged couple for hacking and local riding club activities. They have now moved to France and he lives a happy life over there.
Apparently his laid back attitude to competing was quite unusual for Jumbo babies. They normally show a lot of life when given a job to do.

htobago

Visit site
Jumbo as I'm sure you know is the sire of Headley Britannia, who just won Badminton!

He's sired lots of other great eventers as well.

Including Med Night Mahout, a lovely stallion, nearly Advanced eventer, good-looking, throwing super stock, and with a temperament to die for.
smile.gif

He's not mine or anything, I just know him quite well cos he stands alongside my stallion at Cliveden Stud in Berkshire. (Mine's a pure-bred Arab with a tiny little dishy head - not what you're looking for at all lol !)

_daisy_

Visit site
Ive hear dgreat things about his offspring. I was considering using him but heard he wasnt covering anyones but the studs anymore so looked around. However he is still being advertised so maybe they have changed their minds.

shandy133

Visit site
my old eventer was his grandson, and another of his grandsons was at the yard too (they were by Jetstream) and there was also a black mare by jumbo, she was lovely too. i recently tried out a mare by Jumbo, who again had the most amazing personality.

R4RUDI

Visit site
It seems like no-one has a bad word to say about him or his offspring. Just hope my mare will be accepted as I'm sure he's in demand now. I know his owner has his welfare in mind, and rightly so at the grand old age of 23!

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
I thought Jumbo was still available via AI? I can vouch for his temperment, he as fantastic when he came forward for his grading with the BWBS at Stoneleigh. I have seen a few of his offspring & they have all had good temperments. If you have the chance to use him & he compliments your mare, I would go for him.

severnmiles

Visit site
I had a Jetset and she was talented and had a super temp. I thought she said last year was Jumbo's last year at stud?

Oaksflight

Visit site
I know someone with a gelding by him. Events him affiliated - not sure how she's been doing but do know she won an open unaffiliated ODE on him this time last year. Very sensible horse, very laid back, and a fantastic jump.

sw123

Visit site
see i have had 2 on the yard at once, full brother/sister both by Jumbo and neither were horses i'd want!!

Both talented yes, one the gelding a complete screwy pain in the neck on the yard, v v v v sharp but v good jumper. Mare complete dobbin, almost backward to do things with again good jumper. Both out of a TB mare neither v beautiful either!!!

R4RUDI

Visit site
Our mare Nush is going to the stud on Friday, so thanks for all the comments and advice. Just got to pray she takes now n we have a mini Jumbo/Nush next summer!

TURBOBERT

Visit site
Sorry - a word of warning - we have a Jumbo that was VERY querky (reared, napped and bucked!) - in fact the previous owner was going to have him shot! Instead she put him in a sale with no reserve. Fortunately for the horse we bought him v cheaply. He is growing out of his problems thankfully and showing enormous talent - now rising 5 and doing BYEH classes.

I also know of another that is now 8 and still turns himself inside out regularly dumping his competent rider. Very athletic horse!

I think this is not something that can necessarilily be laid at the door of the stallion as it could well be the dam to blame on both counts. Certainly both the horses are hughly talented.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
CCj wanted us to go and look at a Jumbo son for the mare we may cover, but looking back at his breeding he goes to Skippy who is pure ID I think.
So no good for us as that ID part may come to the fore again with a too chunky horse, and I suspect any fizziness may well come down the ID lines more than the TB part.
I think many people have misconceptions about some of the ID bloodlines, the Knock Boy/Seacrest/Cruising which is similar to ours definitely produces fizzy horses, so anyone breeding should always check what the stock are like to ride.
Don't get me wrong, I love ID as a bred, but all of them are not the "quiet" type of rides many think they are...If you go back a few generations many pure breds appear to have Tb slipped in along the way!

machannah

Visit site
You will be very lucky to get him, I have a 2* ex eventer and called twice this season to enquire about him, I didnt even get a courtesy call back to say he wasnt taking any more mares this season (surely an opportunity to interest me in one of his sons...?)

Secondly, I took a good look at him on the web cam at Twemlows and he weaves a LOT, even at the back of the stable! Not something I would want, esp as i have a very sharp mare!