Jumping a 5 yr old over 1.50?? Horsequest

sherwood'

Visit site
Just been lookin at www.horsequest.co.uk. Go to showjumpers and click unaffilated and he is the 10th one down with the title THE WOW FACTOR.
Poor horse being made to jump 1.50 at home! Why woudl you do that when 5 yr olds only have to jump 1.20 in competition. This would put me off buying a horse like that- obviously been tried to hell by these people!

what do you think?

BBs

Visit site
Its a HHO members horse. This was discussed yesterday in a thread further down.

I think if you read the thread it will hightlight a few things ie its not jumped 1.50 all the time, only twice in its life.

TBH I dont think you can make any horse do something it doesnt want to do. So if it didnt want to jump 1.50 it wouldnt.

lillie07

Visit site
It is a HHO members horse- she posted about it yesterday and this was discussed
smile.gif

dianchi

Visit site
People will buy horses like that.
Kids at our yard are like that with oooooooo i can jump such and such.
It is only one fence!

Hedgewitch13

Visit site
This belongs to someone on here and she explained about the jumping - it was posted yesterday but I can't remember by
who!

ETS Oops - sorry to repeat - there weren't any responses when I replied.

H-J

www.piczo.com
I dont mean to be picky its a lovely horse, but if its starting flying changes now it cant be that green on the flat
confused.gif
muscle should be built up first before tricks are taught..........anyway thats my moan for the day!
blush.gif
tongue.gif
grin.gif

H-J

www.piczo.com
[ QUOTE ]
Tricks??
I didnt realise flying changes were tricks?

I think flying changes should be taught properly at an early age.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree but I also think to open the market up a bit counter canter should be taught before changes.....it could then go on and do other jobs if required rather then just SJing
smile.gif

StaceyTanglewood

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Tricks??

[/ QUOTE ]

so do i but after the horse has learnt to go properly on the flat first and has the correct muscle developed !

PaddyMonty

Visit site
Current thinking amongst upper echelons of dressage is that changes should be taught early, well before CC is established.
Seems to be a complete u turn from a few years ago when it was thought that teaching changes before establishing cc would cause problems.

burtie

Visit site
I have seen the original post and the ad and I don't have any problem with a five year old jumping the odd fence at 1.50 if it is capable and enjoying it. However I wouldn't buy a horse advertised at that age as jumping an upright of 1.50 as I'm not sure it really proves anything and it would concern me that the horse had perhaps done a lto already. I know in this case we know the owner and she advisers that they have not, but it would actually put me off buying the horse.

I would like to add that it is a smashing looking horse and I'm sure if it has the ability it would have sold just as well jumping a nice 1.20 or 1.30 spread fence, which I'd rather see in an advert picture!
Just my opinion though!

It has however got them attention so maybe it will work.
tongue.gif

BBs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Tricks??

[/ QUOTE ]

so do i but after the horse has learnt to go properly on the flat first and has the correct muscle developed !

[/ QUOTE ]

Foresure if youre planning on keeping the horse, but this horse is for bringing on quickly and selling.... in this case getting it going forwards, doing changes to help it around a course and popping fences sweetly is what a seller wants to show off to a prospective buyer

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Absolutely cracking horse - HHO Forum members. Selling as a show jumper - you gotta know it's gonna make it.

Looks like it's thoroughly enjoying itself.

H-J

www.piczo.com
[ QUOTE ]
Current thinking amongst upper echelons of dressage is that changes should be taught early, well before CC is established.
Seems to be a complete u turn from a few years ago when it was thought that teaching changes before establishing cc would cause problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is interesting, it was always thought it caused confusion when changes were taught before CC, I have always taught CC before changes which has so far worked well
smile.gif

BBs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed, this is what Ive been taught.

But I always thought the opposite for years.

H-J

www.piczo.com
[ QUOTE ]
Foresure if youre planning on keeping the horse, but this horse is for bringing on quickly and selling.... in this case getting it going forwards, doing changes to help it around a course and popping fences sweetly is what a seller wants to show off to a prospective buyer

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree - there is certainly a difference in producing to sell and producing to keep

Nats_uk

Visit site
Sorry but agree with HJ

A horse should be established on the flat and have a decent muscle development before more advanced movements (or 'tricks') are taught.

As far as jumping 1.50 goes - just because a horse enjoys it doesn't mean that as a responsible horse owner you should do it. Jumping that height puts a lot of strain on a developing, growing horse. Yes a lot of SJ yards do it to their youngsters but they are producing for now and not thinking of the horse still going strong when the horses are 10+

StaceyTanglewood

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Tricks??

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes i know what you mean but i still dont think id pay 9k when the horse didnt have the correct muscle etc - my youngster did changes as a 5yo but thats after working hard to build up the rest of him so he was balanced correctly

BBs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry but agree with HJ

A horse should be established on the flat and have a decent muscle development before more advanced movements (or 'tricks') are taught.

As far as jumping 1.50 goes - just because a horse enjoys it doesn't mean that as a responsible horse owner you should do it. Jumping that height puts a lot of strain on a developing, growing horse. Yes a lot of SJ yards do it to their youngsters but they are producing for now and not thinking of the horse still going strong when the horses are 10+

[/ QUOTE ]

I think if a horse isnt capable of jumping 1.50m twice in its life ie it puts so much strain on its joints that its gonna go POP then its not really going to make a show jumper
smirk.gif

Come on, is jumping two fences at that height worse than us going eventing in the height of summer??! or trotting on roads for a long period of time?

If this horse was being jumped continually at this height I would be cross, but its not!!

Flying changes are hardly *advanced movements* horses do it naturally in the field!

BBs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Tricks??

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes i know what you mean but i still dont think id pay 9k when the horse didnt have the correct muscle etc - my youngster did changes as a 5yo but thats after working hard to build up the rest of him so he was balanced correctly

[/ QUOTE ]

No neither would i. The question yesterday was how much would we be prepared to pay. I said around £3k because of the underdeveloped muscles and greenness of the horse.
smile.gif

Zoobie

Visit site
I saw the original post and thought he was lovely and looked like he was enjoying himself. Felt quite sorry the person who posted the piccys as they got quite a bit of stick . But did get some nice comments too ( she did say it was scary to post, I can see her point )

Also in the original post please correct me If I wrong ( takes cover ) that although passport said 5 that vet/dentist had aged him as 6/7.

Apologies in advance if that is not the case.

Nats_uk

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I think if a horse isnt capable of jumping 1.50m twice in its life ie it puts so much strain on its joints that its gonna go POP then its not really going to make a show jumper
smirk.gif

Come on, is jumping two fences at that height worse than us going eventing in the height of summer??! or trotting on roads for a long period of time?

If this horse was being jumped continually at this height I would be cross, but its not!!

Flying changes are hardly *advanced movements* horses do it naturally in the field!

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally wouldn't do a full season of eventing or trot on the roads for long periods on a 5 year old but that's just me!
wink.gif
I can't afford to chop and change horses so I have one for life and want it fit and able later in life as well.

I do agree that in the grand scheme of things doing two fences isn't major but I think it is the whole concept of jumping a young horse that height that has become the debate - I don't think it is personally aimed at that ad anymore.
crazy.gif

And no, flying changes are the same as piaffe, pirouettes etc but they still require a certain level of muscle development that a green 5 year old may not necessary have

H-J

www.piczo.com
[ QUOTE ]
smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know this person? Just that I dont think any of us can garauntee this horse is only being jumped 1.50 twice just for the pictures......
smirk.gif

Also I do personally class flying changes as a more advanced movement when a horse hasnt even got a correct enough topline/muscle to carry itself round in a nice outline with an engaged back end in a circle
tongue.gif

Dont get me wrong though I do like the horse! And it does have a lovely jump!
tongue.gif