Jumping advice for friend

Blazingkate

carlingblacklabel.piczo.com
Hiya! Right, I'm posting for some advice for my friend. She's just got a pony on loan (one I used to have on loan) and he's a real trier and amazing little pony, normally. The problem she's got is at shows. Normally he goes in and trys his heart out. But recently he's been going in and refusing nearly every jump. He's jumping fine at home. She's only had him 3 weeks but it's knocking her confidence a lot, he's capable of jumping 2ft3 courses, but he's refusing 1ft9 fences. (just gonna point out hes 12.2hh) Basically does anyone have any advice on how to encourage him to jump round. Theres a 2ft c/r and class locally next tuesday which we want to try, so we've got a week to try any suggestions. Sorry its long but any help would be great!!!

xxxx

Jemayni

Visit site
maybe he needs a break, he could just be bored with going round tracks and jumping generally. Give him 3 weeks or so of flat work and hacking and I bet he will be so bored after that he will be desperate to jump
smile.gif

flyingfeet

Visit site
Probably the rider and pressure - has she had any lessons on him yet?

Even the best horse will give up if the rider doesn't really want to do it (look at Only fools on horses!)

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
A pony of mine did this. When we had him my daughter went to numerous shows & either won or was placed virtually every time out. He was particularly quick & full of beans indoors. When we sold him on due to my daughter going over to horses he just wouldn't do it for his new owners, I'm not sure why, possibly there wasn't the bond there that my daughter had. He was being ridden totally differently that he had been & you could see that he wasn't happy....unfortunately the new rider wouldn't listen to advice. The pony hasn't really done a thing since he left us.

You try riding him & see if he'll perform for you...if he does then maybe it's the way he's being ridden?