JUMPING ADVICE

Frazer

Visit site
I am going to do a local show on sunday, mainly ridden classes but would like to enter small jumping 2ft 6 2ft 9!!! She is very good, but when she goes towards a jump, she will hold herself back no matter how much i push her forward, then leap into a fast canter, the reins pulled out of my hands and this sometimes leads to poles coming down. Any advice???

Emily99

Visit site
the OS&B show by any chance?

Sounds like you're pony's learnt to fire herself at fences. Maybe do a slightly smaller class incase its a confidence issue and really concentrate on your rhythm around the course, keep her moving forward around your turns and when you approach a fence, sit up and sit deep and say in your mind wait...wait...wait.. (works for me LOL) and try and keep your rhythm.
Does your mare do this at home? Make sure you work on your rhythm and control at home as its due to schooling at home as to whether you perform well at shows.

Patchwork

Visit site
Something that works for me is to count into the fence - but not count down to the stride. As in, say 10 strides out start counting '16, 15, 14, 13, 12...' and carry on counting over the fence. It seems to make the jump less of a big deal and helps to keep the emphasis on the rhythm.

Peanot

Visit site
I have a show jumping video with this as a troubleshooting part as the end.
They tell you to put a jump up, and then put 4 canter poles in front of it. It is Tim Stockdales sj video. It shows the horse tanking into the fence and so they add the canter poles, so the horse has to watch where he is going. When the horse is going smoothly, then take the one nearest the jump away, then the next and so on. By the end of the exercise the horse had a nice rhythmic canter into the fence.

Kelly1982

Visit site
To be honest i dont think this is a probelm that can be sorted by the weekend.

I think your going to have to take her back to basics almost to teach her not to rush fences and try and get her to keep the rythmn (sp).

Grid work will definatly help but it will take a while and quite a bit of patience i think.