Jumping Arabs?

jm2k

Visit site
Does anyone compete SJ / BE on pure bred Arabs?

What level are you competing at?

Especially if adults riding 14.1-2hh height ones. How do you feel against adults on horses? or children on ponies?

Also what saddles do you use, event or jump?

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site

Kat

Visit site
Search for threads by Jessamess on here. I haven't seen a post from her for a while but she had a gorgeous bay arab that she jumped.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Search for threads by Jessamess on here. I haven't seen a post from her for a while but she had a gorgeous bay arab that she jumped.

I beat you to it. He's the horse in my second link. :p

He's utterly fab, I think she's pretty much had a go at everything with that horse. I opened one of my old arab magazines the other day and there was a big photo of them competing in a ridden class, possibly at Malvern.

dixie

Visit site
A friend of mine jumped a pure bred Arab up to Foxhunters. She was very successful.
He was fabulous to watch, so springy and keen. Loved watching him beat the posh sj warmbloods.
He could also turn his Hoof to dressage and Xc, so very versatile. He's still going as a happy hacker well into his 20s��

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
There's someone on here with a grey arab (sorry, I don't remember their username) who showjumps. Hopefully they'll see this thread and post some photos. :)

be positive

Visit site
There's someone on here with a grey arab (sorry, I don't remember their username) who showjumps. Hopefully they'll see this thread and post some photos. :)

Rollin on here, she is based in France, has homebred shagya arabs who are jumping and showing real ability from what I have seen, she usually posts in the breeding forum, her young mare was out competing today so she may miss this thread but is sure to respond to a pm.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
It was Texanstar that I was thinking of.

attachment.php

I'm pretty sure that Ecrozier has an arab that has competed successfully at lots of different things.

JustKickOn

Visit site
Isn't there a lady in here with a grey Arab that's she events? Think she lives in NZ or Aus, horse is called Tally??

EstherYoung

Visit site
We didn't compete but we did used to take H hunting - he was up for anything and would jump anything the big boys did. Not with me I hasten to add, I'm too chicken.

Arabs do tend to hold tension in their neck and backs, and if they're not relaxing properly it can result in the typical cat leap that you see. If we hadn't warmed H up properly he'd often put in a hair raising leap or two to start off.

Spud on the other hand enjoys popping over little logs but he isn't really a jumper. If he's going to put effort in he has to see the point of it, and he can't see the point in showjumps.

jm2k

Visit site
If we hadn't warmed H up properly he'd often put in a hair raising leap or two to start off.

Warm up is a learning curve atm and have had the PING more than a few times lol.

Brilliant links and info everyone, thank you :)

Everyone thinks he is a crossbred Arab and shocked to hear he is very well bred Crabbet lol. I just feel so odd on him from riding 16hh to this little dinky but springy pony so ive now got more faith we are doing ok, even if we are the odd one out :)

Suziq77

Visit site
I beat you to it. He's the horse in my second link. :p

He's utterly fab, I think she's pretty much had a go at everything with that horse. I opened one of my old arab magazines the other day and there was a big photo of them competing in a ridden class, possibly at Malvern.

Jess kindly came and helped me at Chilham BE today and I told her that the wonderful Tiger Pants was getting some love on here so she may pop up later.... Tiger is awesome! The AHS spread was when he won the WAHO award (i think that's what it was called) and had his presentation at Malvern AHS National Championships and did a lot of galloping about side saddle, just one of his many talents :)

clippi

Visit site
I do loads of stuff on my boy; we were late to jumping and dressage as did endurance (to advanced level) before children. But he's done side saddle; gymkhana; unaffiliated dressage (only prelim); unaffiliated sj upto 2ft9; unaffiliated ODE at 80cm. He's only 14.3.

Firewell

Visit site
I had an arab by Malan. He was weird though he grew to be 15.3hh and was too big to be kept for showing. He show jumped BS up to 1m40, came 2nd in Newcomers final. He did PC eventing with me at Novice level and Open unaff eventing up to 3ft6 but was a little spooky to trust especially with ditches and water to be a pure BE horse. He had serious scope for a little upside down arab and was a professional to showjump (when he wasn't spooking!). I'll try and find a photo.

HashRouge

Visit site
I had an arab by Malan. He was weird though he grew to be 15.3hh and was too big to be kept for showing. He show jumped BS up to 1m40, came 2nd in Newcomers final. He did PC eventing with me at Novice level and Open unaff eventing up to 3ft6 but was a little spooky to trust especially with ditches and water to be a pure BE horse. He had serious scope for a little upside down arab and was a professional to showjump (when he wasn't spooking!). I'll try and find a photo.

Please do, he sounds super!!

electric_circus

Visit site
When he was younger, my 14hh Arab would fly round a BE90 (we had one where I kept him on livery) and would have a crack at the smaller PN ones. He was always v quick and careful against the clock both xc and showjumping. He's a super little hunter, though the biggest I ever jumped on him was strap walls - no scary hedges thankyouverymuch! He would have jumped higher if he had a braver jockey!!!

Morgan123

Visit site
I've had several Arabs, my ex racing Arab jumped up to 4'6" at home and comfortable over 3'6 courses (though just at home as we didn't have transport to do so out). Then I was really lucky later to have another full bred on loan who'd jumped foxhunters and eventer, pretty sure up to be90 and higher for hunter trials and stuff.

They can jump, you just have to work with them, same with dressage with them!

texenstar

Visit site
It was Texanstar that I was thinking of.

attachment.php

I used to jump my Arab round 1m courses, he rarely ever had a fence down! However, since I brought him back to the UK we have focused more on dressage (he's 22 now so I thought we should do less jumping - to his disappointment!)

I know of quite a lot of good jumping Arabs, they tend to have a good ping in them. But like others have mentioned a good dressage foundation with them helps tonnes!

Last edited:

jm2k

Visit site
Brilliant replies and photos, thank you everyone. I have so much more hope, if only I could get him to grow another hand I wouldnt feel so bad on him lol.
I will get some photos sorted out and post them.

Another quick question....SADDLES? What jumping saddles do you use?
Ideally he is 16.5 but having to source a 17" by looks of things